Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default A normal winter is here.

Hello D-YESERS! There will be no El Nino or La Nina winter for 2019 and 2020. We will have a neutral winter.

NOVEMBER:

A brief cool bust of snow storm in early part of the month follow a brief sub-freezing warm up near Thanksgiving.

DECEMBER:

A quick cool down of cold temps and fewer snow showers follow one Winter weather advisories and lake effect snow showers and a later arctic chill after Christmas and before New Year.

JANUARY:

After a brief arctic chill there a mid week thaw a weak polar vortex is possible follow by a Winter Storm Warning.

FEBRUARY:

More Bitter colder temps that will last a week follow by a sub-freezing warm up. A Winter storm watch is the works.

MARCH: A sudden spring preview warm up with fewer rain showers by mid march will happen. More showers will happen by April.

We've had mild winters the last few years don't ya think? Hopefully, we don't have a lot of snow. The lake levels are high enough.

I hope this winter isn't cold. I don't like cold

Wrong state to be in LOL! It only varies between cold and very cold and a short warm season.

I find wool works great but hard to find wool coats. My latest one a great find on eBay!

We had a great lush fall though, what with the trees extra rich in color! Due to the long winter I really TRY NOT to complain those few really hot days in the summer......

Was last year mild? Not alot of snow but it was insanely cold in my recollection!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    We've had mild winters the last few years don't ya think? Hopefully, we don't have a lot of snow. The lake levels are high enough.

Earliest heavy November snow I can remember. Nobody that I head forecast the 9 or 10 inches I received around my house. They were talking about 3 to 5 inches, even that is a lot for November 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Was last year mild? Not alot of snow but it was insanely cold in my recollection!
    Could have been but, yeah, not too much snow last year and the year before...I think

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Agreed. We moved back to the area in August of 2017. That first winter - 2017/2018 wasn't terrible cold, but we had a TON of snow. How do I remember it so vividly? We have large driveway with no snowblower. Then last winter was less snow, but it was cold, with that one particular night when the temp dropped to something like -10F. We had neighbors with burst pipes; our boiler ran for 26 hours straight.

Record breaking cold temps across the US is not a normal winter.

Absolutely it was EXTRA cold last winter! One night my furnace was straining to keep up with it. Not good times at all!

I always do that DTE Home Heating Plan just in case furnace konks out all the way so out I can have some assistance in repair bill!

Brrrrrrr... how do the homeless manage?

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    ...Then last winter was less snow, but it was cold, with that one particular night when the temp dropped to something like -10F. We had neighbors with burst pipes; our boiler ran for 26 hours straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    IMHO, winters during the 1970s – 1980s seemed colder and more severe. I recall temps often stayed below freezing for weeks at a time and the snow piled up instead of melting. Single digit and below zero temps were not usual. My father used to flood a hockey rink behind our home which lasted all winter. In my sub the plowed snow was as high as the street signs. Milder winters - I'm not complaining.

BTW, lake levels were high back then, too.

I am a child of the seventies and YES, I do recall the snow a foot up to the storm door. Digging thru all that and trudging on to school walking.

Hot chocolate waiting at the school [[DPS). Schools rarely closed then!

But I get that they close more now: Schools are far apart, many students on busses or having to be driven, more maniac drivers on the road. etc.

Why I remember having to walk 25 miles to school in the snow, and it was uphill both ways, and it was my brother's turn to wear the shoes that day! We didn't have some fancy hot chocolate waiting for us, no sir, we had to make our own hot chocolate, out of wood! You kids have it too easy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Why I remember having to walk 25 miles to school in the snow, and it was uphill both ways, and it was my brother's turn to wear the shoes that day! We didn't have some fancy hot chocolate waiting for us, no sir, we had to make our own hot chocolate, out of wood! You kids have it too easy today.
    Dammit, Lowell, you've just got to add a "like" button on DY.

We made our own out of melted snow, but mom would let us melt a brown crayon in it if we were good. Not one of those fancy Crayola ones though, oh no.

Hot c. out of wood!?? That must be an improvement over that Nestle powdered crap sold now!

...we had to make our own hot chocolate, out of wood! You kids have it too easy today.

We had a neighbor that always hated when kids walked on his grass in the summer.... so in winter snowy nights we used to pour Mountain Dew on the edges and corners of the snow covered grass... to make it look like dogs marked their territory... wicked wicked kids!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    We had a neighbor that always hated when kids walked on his grass in the summer.... so in winter snowy nights we used to pour Mountain Dew on the edges and corners of the snow covered grass... to make it look like dogs marked their territory... wicked wicked kids!!
    Will have to try that w/some of my neighbors...

Back then people didn't have to worry about NRAers protecting their 'rights' to defend their castles from such intrusive and threatening behavior.

Don't forget, back then it didn't actually snow. Chunks of white concrete fell from the sky.

The lightening bolts divided the sidewalks too... no wait, that's what's coming!!