Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fence around Lafayette Towers planned

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/11/1...e-mies-detroit

I think this is an awful idea. Lafayette Park was designed to be an open and welcoming place without barriers and this vision has been beautifully executed for over half a century. If anything, the real problem with crime is the empty parking lots with few eyes to deter crime between the towers and the shopping center.

This wall must be stopped.

Would be nice to see an image of this fence and its planned location. I hate gated communities and was upset to see streets of Orleans landing blocked off. Fortification everywhere does not look good, but crime must be addressed. Where's the balance?

When I lived at Lafayette Towers from 2004 to 2006, the security team was constantly asleep. I would bet if the management addressed issues internally, crime on their property would fall. I work in security, and it blows my mind how often people miss crimes taking place. In security you literally have two jobs...stay awake and prevent/report crimes. It's not rocket science.

Lafayette Towers were built in an era when crime was low and the concept of open Community living didn't include criminals living close by on the MLK Apartments. The owner should pay more money for extra security as well as better security systems.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Lafayette Towers were built in an era when crime was low and the concept of open Community living didn't include criminals living close by on the MLK Apartments. The owner should pay more money for extra security as well as better security systems.
    How do you know the people that live in MLK apartments are criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Is everyone a criminal? No, but are there a lot in the immediate area surrounding the King Homes? Fuckin tons. Easily one of the worst apartments in the city

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    It was one of the first apartment complexes to be raided when Police Chief Craig came onboard.

https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2...econd_rai.html

^^^ Um, yeah. If you're WISE to that area you know that the MLK units have been rough for many years now.

That's just street smarts!

Not everyone, of course, but for certain there have been some problematic residents there.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-14-19 at 06:26 AM.

Default Hell is the only place that let's everybody in.

Even Heaven is surrounded by the Pearly Gates!Name:  build the wall.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  73.9 KB

I was at the nearly 5 hour Historic District Commission meeting yesterday. All 23 people who spoke about this issue said it was a bad idea. Not one person said they agreed with the fence. All who spoke were current residents and even 2 business owners of the strip mall that this fencing would also impact.

All of the residents said the people who initiated this fence issue were overstating the crime that occurs in the neighborhood. The Historic Commission told this guy to engage with the surrounding community and come up with another solution like bollards or boulders or other landscaping