Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What were some of the higher end audio salons you visited back in the day?

They were all over back in the day. They carried awesome gear and had excellent listening rooms.

Let's see how good your memory is. Where was High Fidelity Workshop? Bonus question: What was their top of the line name brand? Then there's the usual, Pecar's, Almas, Audioland. And the johnny-come-lately's Absolute Sound, Stereoland, Tech Hi-Fi. I'm going to skip appliance stores.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-10-19 at 08:43 PM.

Oppps! I misread! I thought the thread said HAIR SALONS [[ala D'mongo's Salon)! To the woodshed I go...... will delete my post!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-10-19 at 08:50 PM.

I don't think it was considered high end, but I bought a Harmon Kardon receiver, JVC turntable, and a set of speakers at the Woodward/14 Mile Schaak Electronics. Went back a year later for the Harmon Kardon casette deck.

The guys at Almas were really nice taught me a lot back in the Michigan Ave. days. I learned about fidelity, appropriate sound stage, stereo vs. multi-chan for music, ...and that I'll probably never be able to afford a McIntosh VT amp.

Mickey Shores...Little Yellow Shack by the Railroad Track

Highland Appliance -- bought my Marantz AM/FM receiver, Marantz cassette tape deck and Utah speakers there. Remember their TV commercial with the kid who recorded his piano practice on a reel-to-reel tape deck, then played it back so he could sneak out a window and play?

^^^ Hows about that! I purchased my first double speaker cassette mini boom box at the Highland Appliance on Grand River off of 1-94!

Went to Alma’s in Michigan Ave. and Tech Hi-Fi. Was at Paulsens last month, and amazed at all the new options.

Shopping for a new turntable [[still have all my vinyl). Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced turntable?

^^^ Ebay... but first find which ones still out there review the best.

I know some people have bad luck with 'Bay and yes their seller fees stink, but for odd hard to find items I've had great success!

Highland or ABC had the best sound rooms. Late '80s I got the best Technics stereo cabinet with turntable, receiver, amp and EQ altogether for $100- the SA series with the all black finish. Layaway lasted 2 weeks!

Olsen, the place that were on 8 mile rd and Hayes [[I had forgotten the name), Radio Shack, Highland Appliance on Grand River and W. Warren. And Ooopls Ollie Fretter

^^^ You're showing you age [[smile) if you recall that Highland Appliance on Grand River!

Olson Electronics on Gratiot south of 7 Mile had fair stuff, but Pecar's was the infinity and beyond.

Pecars & Stereoland on the east side.

I always go to Ollie Fretter for my high-end stuff. I still have my “state of the art” 8 track player from 1967 that I bought from Mr. Fretter. I should have taken the 5 pounds of coffee instead!!!!!Name:  fretter [[2).jpg
Views: 882
Size:  108.6 KB

Does anyone remember a Tech Hi-Fi on 8 Mile?

ok but whats an audio salon?

Eastsider here. Favorite places in the 80s for stereo stuff: Pecar was the go-to, Pointe Electronics for browsing [[too expensive) and Schaak Electronics for browsing [[they had lower-end stuff).