Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Muslim teen fears for life after changing religion

A Muslim teenager from Ohio says her father threatened to kill her because she converted to Christianity.
    Rifqa Bary claims her father wants her dead after she converted to Christianity.

Rifqa Bary, 17, ran away from her family in Columbus, Ohio, in July and took refuge in the central Florida home of the Rev. Blake Lorenz with the Global Revolution Church in Orlando.
    The teen heard of the pastor and his church through a prayer group on Facebook. The girl's parents reported her missing to Columbus police, who found her two weeks later in Florida through cell phone records.
    The teenager, in a sworn affidavit, claims her father, Mohamed Bary, 47, was pressured by the mosque the family attends in Ohio to "deal with the situation." In the court filing, Rifqa Bary stated her father said, "If you have this Jesus in your heart, you are dead to me!" The teenager claims her father added, "I will kill you!"
    Mohamed Bary told CNN a lot of false information has been given and "we wouldn't do her harm." He knew his daughter was involved with Christian organizations.
    "I have no problem with her practicing any faith," he said, but Bary admitted he would have preferred his daughter to practice the Muslim faith first.
    Although Mohamed Bary said he did not expect his daughter to run away, Rifqa Bary was placed in foster care by an Orlando judge in August while the Florida Department of Children and Family investigated the threat allegations against the parents.
    Don't Miss

In a court filing Monday, John Stemberger, Rifqa Bary's attorney and president of the Christian advocacy organization Florida Family Policy Council, accused the parents' Ohio mosque of having ties to terrorism and radical Islam. The Noor Islamic Cultural Center has denied the allegations.
    Stemberger told CNN he agreed with his client that she would be killed by radical Muslims if she is returned to Ohio.
    "She is a person who is ripe for apostate killing or mercy killing. I'm not going to let my client slip away in the night by going back," said Stemberger.
    Roger Weeden, the mother's attorney in Florida, said the filing had no credible evidence but instead was meant "just to inflame the community and the court." Weeden said he believes the teen's attorney is trying to create an atmosphere of fear and intimidation.
    The teen's attorney said his client has endured a history of abuse from her family. Stemberger said the young girl was forced to wear the Muslim headscarf called a hijab and was punched in the face by her father for being ashamed while wearing it.
    Stemberger is asking the court to keep Rifqa Bary in the custody of the state of Florida until she turns 18 in a year.
    Mohamed Bary, who is not a United States citizen, said he can't believe all the false allegations and the bad image caused by the situation.
    "We are not bad people," Bary said. "We are not like that, we are normal."
    The mother's attorney said the teenager was a normal girl, a cheerleader in Ohio, and what Muslim extremist would allow his daughter be a cheerleader?
    At a court hearing scheduled for Thursday in Orlando, the parents will have an opportunity to respond to the allegations against them. Their attorney said the parents will deny all allegations.
    After the court hearing, the judge may force all the parties involved into mediation, followed by an adjudication hearing.

...and this has to do with Detroit how?

If Rifqa Bary choose to accept Jesus in her life. That's her choice. In America everyone has freedom to choose their own religion. She became Christian because understands the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that will take her to heaven for exchange from her sins. Her father has no right to deny her Christian faith. He must respect her as well she repects her father and her family.

By the way put this topic in the non-Detroit issues, please.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

God bless Rifqa Bary and God bless Neda Soltani

Allah Akbar!

Better yet, delete the whole damn thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If Rifqa Bary choose to accept Jesus in her life. That's her choice. In America everyone has freedom to choose their own religion. She became Christian because understands the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that will take her to heaven for exchange from her sins. Her father has no right to deny her Christian faith. He must respect her as well she repects her father and her family.

By the way put this topic in the non-Detroit issues, please.

Allah Akbar!
    First of all Danny, you are no street prophet. It's like the ugly kid in class calling him/herself hot shit. Second of all, who are you to say what is "the truth" and what is not?

I personally know a girl who converted from Christianity to Islam. The threats that this confused "girl claimed," is no-where close to the ones that the Islam convert's parent truly made.

Story continues that this Islamic Center MUST have terrorist ties. And guess who claims this? Her attorney and president of the Christian advocacy organization. Surprise, surprise!

Why isn't anyone prosecuting this Mr. Blake Lorenz? He is a grown man that had communicated with a minor across state lines. Who knows what his true intentions were. He then took her away from her family, and is now harboring a minor in his personal home, not a church, synagogue or temple. This is his own personal home, where no one would know what he may or may not do. I guess a cloak of religion hides all true intentions.

You will never know, until your own son or daughter is taken away by these monsters.

-Tahleel

Great, another thread which will be high-jack and used to bash Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Allah Akbar!
    Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    First of all Danny, you are no street prophet. It's like the ugly kid in class calling him/herself hot shit.
    By the way, what's a street prophet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    By the way, what's a street prophet?
    Apparently, a street prophet is someone who sends his messages to his disciples on some forum through the intarwebz.

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; September-03-09 at 05:12 PM.

Actually, I think the tie-in to Detroit is that the teenage girl said she loved the Quo Vadis theatre, and it was only then that her father said he wanted to kill her.

[[Note: There is nothing factual in this post.]

lilpup Guest

If you're going to lift stories you should at least provide an active link to the original story location.

btw the line "If you have this Jesus in your heart, you are dead to me!" sounds totally false since Jesus is recognized as an Islamic prophet.
    Last edited by lilpup; September-03-09 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Actually, I think the tie-in to Detroit is that the teenage girl said she loved the Quo Vadis theatre, and it was only then that her father said he wanted to kill her.

[[Note: There is nothing factual in this post.]

I literally LOL'd.

"But daddy, I love Quo Vadis."

"I kill you!"

-Tahleel

UFO Guest

She must have some valid reason to have left home. Lets not forget all religion breeds fanatics.

Could be here family really does want her dead, could be the christians are brainwashing her.

One thing is sure though, we dont know what the truth is. Only she does.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    One thing is sure though, we dint know what the truth is. Only she does.
    All too true. Yet people here will continue to speculate.

Blarf Guest

Another example of why organized religion is a joke.

ccbatson Guest

Part of her choice was to knowingly upset family and friends. Notwithstanding, absolutely, it is, and should be her freedom of choice that prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    ...and this has to do with Detroit how?
    Pay attention! Its under Non Detroit.

Lorax Guest

All the more reason NOT to indoctrincate your kids into believing in fairy tales in the first place.

If a grown adult has the open-minded choice to choose to be religious, most would choose not to.

If religions didn't have the young and impressionable to convert, there would be no measurable systems of belief in the supernatural.

I call it child abuse, much as the parents of these kids who are disallowing them to hear the president speak are doing.

Religion is evil in varying degrees. get rid of all of it

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest
    -- Diderot

of course I would have to include something about the last CEO of the Last multinational

Taleel sez…”First of all Danny, you are no street prophet. It's like the ugly kid in class calling him/herself hot shit. Second of all, who are you to say what is "the truth" and what is not?”

I'm a Street Prophet, writing words of ethical views on the web or preaching the Word of God in the ghettos of Detroit just the others. Please, I ask you to be ethical to my and other people comments. Mr. Boileau wants us in this forum to respect our codespeak without creating too much negative bias.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET.

As for that Muslim teen who made a wonderful and risky decision to become Christian. We forumers must respect her views as journeys through the Gospel truth of Jesus Christ.

In Memoriam: Neda Soltani

rb336sez... "Religion is evil in varying degrees. get rid of all of it."

Religion is drug, a very powerful drug, but it smooths us from the 'self.' which is ourselves and connect to the powerful being from another world and that one day we would be with them in paradise or hades.

rb336, I suggest that you read 'SNOW CRASH' by Neal Stevenson and you will see how evil religion is.

Religion obviously satisfies a very real need in people, that is why it is present in all cultures I've ever heard of. To call it evil [[and implying we should get rid of it), would be almost like suggesting everyone in all cultures get a lobotomy.

You can buy pig brains in a can. They look kinda like scrambled eggs but they are pink and don't taste like scrambled eggs. The processing plant uses a vacuum hose held right in the operator's hand to hoover the raw brains out of the brain pan. It's pretty efficient. So wanting to get rid of religion is about as productive as wishing for a spaceship with 100 million straws dangling from it.
    Last edited by RickBeall; September-04-09 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Religion obviously satisfies a very real need in people, that is why it is present in all cultures I've ever heard of. To call it evil [[and implying we should get rid of it), would be almost like suggesting everyone in all cultures get a lobotomy.

You can buy pig brains in a can. They look kinda like scrambled eggs but they are pink and don't taste like scrambled eggs. The processing plant uses a vacuum hose held right in the operator's hand to hoover the raw brains out of the brain pan. It's pretty efficient. So wanting to get rid of religion is about as productive as wishing for a spaceship with a 100 million straws dangling from it.
    religion satisfies nothing that can not be satisfied elsewhere without the baggage of hatred that arises, especially from the more fundamentalist sects in all the majors, including buddhism. yes, it has long outlived its purpose. consign it to the dust bins of history

Pull down a straw and attach it to your ear.

religious fundamentalism has worse affects than lobotomies - and on whole societies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast