Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    UFO Guest

Default Does anyone here suffer from sleep paralysis?

Ive had this problem for at least the past year and a half if not almost two years.

You wake up and cannot move, eyes wide open. Mouth wide open you try to scream but cannot and the fear that runs through your body feels like it is certain death.

It feels like someone is on top of you holding you down ,sometimes you see a figure other times you cannot because you are being held down face into the bed, or at times like they are throwing you up in the air by your legs slamming your body up and down on the bed

Just wondering if I was the only one that had this problem. I have heard of others but never met anyone.

I would be afraid to go to sleep if that happened. Have you sought medical attention regarding this problem?

UFO Guest

I did when I still had money to spare but now cant afford it.

They just basically gave me the general run around . They say its because of some traumatic experience.

Basically, they cant help me other than give me pills to make me sleep.
    I know, weird.

Im not afraid to go to sleep. I just rarely sleep and when I do, I experience this a few times a month.

Maybe I was molested as a child and do not remember? Maybe that is the figure I see above me holding me down?

But wouldn't someone remember something like that?

Why the violent throwing about of my body? Ive got to try to figure this out before my internet service gets cut off in the next few weeks.

Any kind of help would be appreciated to try and help me understand.

Maybe you were held down and someone poured hot chocolate or fudge all over you. In Detroit, it's very popular nightmare. Hey would you mind if I call a Woodward ave friend, who might know what's going on. She's a middle aged female named Frank, originally from Grand Blanc, but thinks herself a guest in Detroit. Her clients include a sexually handicapped man/boy name Andi who she's helped with the aid of random collection of devices that resemble [[[[[[s.

he is much better now. Although he dreams of sharks now.
    Last edited by gnome; September-03-09 at 02:42 PM.

UFO Guest

You're not funny Gnome.

No, my nightmares are more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMUz...eature=related

Its a series of 5 videos and shows people like me that all suffer from the same almost exact experience.

Whats funny, is it happens all over the world. Different people from all different backgrounds and nothing in common.
    Maybe it is a mental disorder?

My paralysis starts off with my eyes opening wide, terror like I have never known before, trying to scream but cannot,seeing some strange figure in the room or above me,usually tall gray silouette with bright white light behind it.
    Also someone grabbing my throat trying to choke me, or shoving my face into the pillow, or grabbing my
    leg and violently throwing me around. Also what I perceive as sexual abuse.All the while I believe I am wide awake. It feels that real.

II dont care if you think I am weird. This is happening to me and Im just looking for an answer.
    Last edited by UFO; September-03-09 at 03:05 PM.

I'm beginning to agree with Gnome.

Regarding your problem, maybe it's aliens that think they are attacking Uranus.

ccbatson Guest

First question should be are you taking any medications, remedies, recreational drugs. I have seen this happen with any sedation, particularly opiates. If so, easy solution, stop taking the offending item.

If not, while annoying, I think it is important tio realize that this is not a part of a threatening or progressive syndrome. Relieving that fear, by itself should decrease the impact of the phenomenon and may even decrease the frequency of it's occurance.

I had a few episodes back in my late teens - early twenties. Nothing in year though.

Here's link: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis

ccbatson Guest

Oh...BTW, don't start or stop any meds without consulting with your Physician. Remedies and recreational drugs is another story.

UFO, I don't believe you are a real poster. I think you are a troll who comes here and starts inane and specious threads with the intent to get folks to post serious answers to your sophomoric questions.

ccbatson Guest

Why would he/she want to do that Gnome?

UFO Guest

Thanks CC but no, I dont take any meds nor do I do recreational drugs of any kind.
    I do smoke cigs though. As for Gnome, I could care less what you think and that is a fact.

WKL was your paralysis similar ? or different? Mine is similar to all of the videos I have seen or stories I have read.

That is what baffles me and I think it may be a mental disorder not just a sleeping disorder.

UFO, these are caused by stress in your life. My daughter had them, and once she was out of her miserable marriage, the nightmares went away. There is information on the web about it. Work out, expend energy. That will help too. She was invited to particitate in a sleep paralysis study, but since they cleared up, she didn't. Has anything changed in your life about two years ago? [[PS-She was not sexually abused nor physically abused-and probably you weren't either.)

ccbatson Guest

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Stress Theory. Life is stress, you can't avoid it, and it complicates things to try.

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Jackson View Post
    UFO, these are caused by stress in your life. My daughter had them, and once she was out of her miserable marriage, the nightmares went away. There is information on the web about it. Work out, expend energy. That will help too. She was invited to particitate in a sleep paralysis study, but since they cleared up, she didn't. Has anything changed in your life about two years ago? [[PS-She was not sexually abused nor physically abused-and probably you weren't either.)

Hi Mama Jackson, thank you for your insight. Stress I have plenty of. In the last 2 years I lost just about everything and I am about to lose my home also.
    Been unable to find any sort of work what so ever, so yes, stress I have a ton of as well as physical pain.

ccbatson Guest

Physical pain? On meds? Therein may lie the answer.

UFO Guest

No CC, no meds. Its chronic and axial pain because of my spine
    Last edited by UFO; September-03-09 at 04:24 PM.

Lorax Guest

Do I suffer from sleep paralysis?

Only when reading Batt's posts.

UFO,

It is caused by high stress and little-to-no sleep. I've felt the exact same thing as you did. I had an Organic Chem final exam and was up for about three days without sleep. And when I laid down, the sleep paralysis happened.

Ironically, I stay up for a complete day or two due to work, and not get sleep paralysis. Maybe because I am not so stressed.

Go to sleep early. Have a journal where you can write your thoughts before you go to sleep, so you won't have it on your mind when you ARE trying to sleep.

-Tahleel

Stosh Guest

Do you have sleep apnea? Have you had a sleep study done at all? I think that it may help you determine the cause of your affliction. As it is sleep related, it's helpful to have a recorded [[literally) chronicle of your sleep patterns.

Otherwise, have you considered ghosts as the source of your problem? Did you move in your home and have these episodes start? Try placing a glass [[real glass) of water under your bed where you sleep.

My wife said this happened to her once while meditating at a Quaker meeting. Google "meditation brain waves" to find out if there is something in common with your waking up experiences.

ccbatson Guest

As many of the responses indicate from experiences, take comfort in the fact that it is common and benign.

Sleep paralysis ... It's no big deal.

ccbatson Guest

Well....Ok, but Wikipedia?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast