Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Hybrid View

Default Panic in eh' NEW YORK?!

And to think I was considering a visit. Uh, nope.

Marchers protest alleged police brutality in Brooklyn subway melee

https://abc7ny.com/marchers-protest-...melee/5665470/

Billed as a rally of emergency action against the NYPD and the MTA, a large group of young protesters made their way through Downtown Brooklyn for several hours.

"Police brutality against the criminalization of black youth in the subway system by police," they said.

One of the most recent incidents they point to is the fight that broke out last week at the Jay Street-Metrotech station. As police moved in to break it up, one of the officers can be seen punching 15-year-old Benjamin Marshall in the face.

"Me coming here, seeing them treat my brothers and sisters like that, that's making it my issue," said one protester.

Other students moved down into a subway station at Hoyt Street and confronted officers face to face. Others had clearly turned to vandalism, spray painting slogans and profanties on police and MTA vehicles, denounced by both the MTA and police.

Every time they were confronted by officers, they quickly turned and kept moving in another direction.

Anti-cop protests over fare evasion crackdown!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-touch-us.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/02/us/br...sts/index.html

I was in Newark once for a work related training session. Once.

Never again will I be that close to the sewer known as NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I was in Newark once for a work related training session. Once.

Never again will I be that close to the sewer known as NYC.

Ha,but they sure know how to deal with the homeless

From the tropical shores of Honolulu and Puerto Rico, to the badlands of Utah and backwaters of Louisiana, the Big Apple has sent local homeless families to 373 cities across the country with a full year of rent in their pockets as part of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s “Special One-Time Assistance Program.” Usually, the receiving city knows nothing about it.
    City taxpayers have spent $89 million on rent alone since the program’s August 2017 inception to export 5,074 homeless families — 12,482 individuals — to places as close as Newark and as far as the South Pacific, according to Department of Homeless Services data obtained by The Post. Families who once lived in city shelters decamped to 32 states and Puerto Rico.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/nyc-ho...n=AT-110319-pm

I wonder if this isn't a product of ongoing economic inequality and the overlapping issue of racism.

No, I'm not excusing fare evasion on the one hand, nor police brutality on the other.

I further don't wish to oversimplify things.

But, what becomes culturally normative in a neighbourhood or community is surely a result of the way that the community is socialized.

If one grows up with not enough money to take transit in a City where that is a requirement, fare jumping may become accepted practice.

Further, if one tends to feel the institutions of government [[police, schools, transit) don't care about people from your area, of your skin colour etc etc. One may feel less inclined to care about them.

There may well be other issues at play; but this strikes me as likely being in someway related to the above.

other signs read 'Free transit,' 'Poverty is not a crime' and 'Our subways need more $ for elevators, not for cops.'

They think like some Canadians,how exactly do you get “free” transit,out of that free money they need more money for elevators and not cops.

Maybe if they stopped toll jumping for a free ride they would not need more cops and could pay for more elevators?

Of course if the government is paying for it then it is free.

Maybe New Yawk shitty needs a Californication style prop 47 to alleviate the issue and make everybody happy.

^^^ Shoplifters heaven in case anyone wants to know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_C...Proposition_47

California Police Chiefs Associations Wants To Amend Prop 47 To Reinstate Felonies For Theft

Business Owners Upset Over Increase of Shoplifters Due to Prop. 47

Good times for merchants and grocers! And folks wonder why they end up with food deserts?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-03-19 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Shoplifters heaven in case anyone wants to know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_C...Proposition_47

California Police Chiefs Associations Wants To Amend Prop 47 To Reinstate Felonies For Theft

Business Owners Upset Over Increase of Shoplifters Due to Prop. 47

Good times for merchants and grocers! And folks wonder why they end up with food deserts?
    It is like that all over the country,roving bands of grab and go,Standard rule is no chase of of fear of getting sued.

They are not actually doing anything illegal,they are just taking up undocumented collections.

I'll take two tickets to paradise...

Been waiting so long, waiting soooo long.

Fighting against ordinary police officers is stupid, they're ordinary executives. It is necessary to fight against the governing body, who controls them and against their rules. Police officers are like robots, performing the duties that they are told. You can be angry at them and do them badly, but nothing will change because they can be replaced, but you can't change the rules they work by.