Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown Detroit Smells - Worse than Usual, Strongest at Hudson's Site

I was wondering if anyone noticed in the last couple months the really bad odor downtown? It's so bad that we smell it inside of the downtown office building that I work in.

The smell seems to be at its worst near Gratiot and Woodward, but in seemingly in ever direction you can smell it. The smell seems to come particularly from sewer covers.

I do understand that downtown areas will smell, but I've been working in Downtown Detroit for about ten years now and this is the first time that I can remember it being this bad and also impacting office space that is indoors.

Does anyone know what is causing the smell? Some of us have hypothesized that it has to do with the Hudson's site construction because the order is strongest near Gratiot and Woodward.

Thanks All!

They’ve been doing utility connections the past week or so. Might be part of it.

The area around the site has been bad all summer, but the Gratiot/Randolph intersection has been awful lately, probably coincided with the roadwork there.

We walked from the State to Lafayette Coney Island and back in late September and I made the comment at State/Woodward that it smelled like they broke a sewer line during the Hudson's site construction that was just leaking out underground and would take Woodward down with it one day.

If it's been going on for so long and is still going on, I'm not sure that my joke is that far off.

Smell seemed worse than usual today to the point where people walking around had looks of disgust.

I heard a rumor that the new construction in that area had accidentally uncovered Jimmy Hoffa’s remains, maybe that’s what the smell is?

Name:  406214-120606-coslog-skeleton-430p.fit-760w.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  156.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I heard a rumor that the new construction in that area had accidentally uncovered Jimmy Hoffa’s remains, maybe that’s what the smell is?

Name:  406214-120606-coslog-skeleton-430p.fit-760w.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  156.0 KB
    LOL! Naw, that's the 'Evil Mayor' of Sozopol. I'd recognize him anywhere.

hopefully this issue will get under control and get better. infrastructure improvements overall are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JK313 View Post
    Seems as though you can no longer get passed the pay wall from clicking on the link directly from Google anymore

While drilling for our deep tower caissons at the Hudson's site we encountered ground water that contains trace sulfur which is contributing to an intermittent smell around the site....
    I hope it's not hydrogen sulfide. Despite precautions, I got sick on that stuff once. It's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post
    Seems as though you can no longer get passed the pay wall from clicking on the link directly from Google anymore
    I got through it just by clicking the link in this thread. ��

This thread reminds me of when davewindsor said midtown smells like piss.

JK313, THANK YOU so much for finding and sharing that link.

So that's where the smell coming from. I thought it came from a stinky homeless person who haven't took a bath since the crack epidemic!