Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 7 Detroit streets that could go car-free

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/10/2...estrians-bikes

In addition to these streets, I think closing a block or 2 of Franklin Street in the East Riverfront, like this section at Franklin and St. Aubin, would also be a good idea

Why does everyone want to close down Woodward to car traffic? Don't these people do any research? Woodward was closed to car traffic for 15 years during the 80s and 90s. It was one of the driving forces that completely destroyed all retail on Woodward.

I don't understand why you'd want to try a completely failed experiment again.

Just because something could go car free, that does not mean that it should. I would support Monroe St going full pedestrian, but the others seem to be a terrible idea. Businesses on Agnes and Jos Campau would struggle and Riopelle and West Canfield are the worst suited of all for full-pedestrian usage.

I support shared use and promotion of pedestrian areas, but retroactively creating spaces without long term vision and expansive planning will do nothing for the city in the long run.

My focus in the late 70s and early 80s were on completing high school and college. I did all of my shopping as a teenager at Eastland Mall, so I found very few reasons to go downtown. I used to drop my mom off at the back of the downtown Hudson's so she could pay her charge card [[mom never drove). I remember Gratiot being shut off at the back at Farmer, but I don't remember Woodward actually being blocked to car traffic. Someone said the busses were the only vehicles that traveled passed Hudson's. So, were there signs at Grand Circus Park or at Michigan informing drivers not to travel along Woodward? Anybody have any pictures?

I read the Curb article on what streets it would like to see closed. I agree with Ndavies and DetroitSoldier, closing off streets to cars is a bad idea. Woodward is closed off between Jefferson and Larned. What sense would it make to close off Woodward any further. Larned and Congress are important east-west streets that get commuters in and out of downtown. To close Woodward off at Campus Martius [[at the southern curve at Fort), would really mess up traffic. It's closing at that point would force all that traffic onto Jefferson [[the only other east-west street). That would be a nightmare. The other streets mentioned in the article shouldn't be tampered with either. I could see closing Monroe between Beaubien and St. Antoine, but not all the way to Randolph. Well, that's my two sense.

Cross streets are not closed off when creating pedestrian malls. John R/Clifford, Grand River, Gratiot, Congress and Larned would all remain open and cross Woodward like they do now. I would even think Campus Martius would remain open from Michigan, Fort, Monroe and at times Cadillac Square.

The first step would be to give the Qline and buses their own lanes from Grand Blvd to Grand Circus Park. Second step would be to close Woodward to all private vehicles from the Fisher Freeway south on weekends, weekday rush hours [[7:30am to 10:00am & 3:30pm to 6:00pm), and 2 hours before and after games/events at any venues that attract over 7,000 extra people downtown.

San Francisco followed New York's lead after NYC banned cars on 14th Street in Manhattan. I think the Curbed article is making a bit of a leap, since most of the proposed closings have nothing to do with why NYC and SF banned cars on those roadways. I don't think any road in Detroit has the same dynamic of 14th Street, and to a lesser extent, Market Street have, which is a lot of pedestrian activity, a lot of bus traffic and frequent gridlock. I think, in both cases, the plan is not to completely ban vehicular traffic, but instead to ban through traffic by private vehicles. Cabs, buses, and commercial vehicles will still be allowed to use 14th Street, and private cars are allowed to travel for one block before being mandated to turn off onto a cross street.

Lower Manhattan's Stone Street might be a good analogy to what can be done on Monroe St in Greektown. The street has been completely shut down to vehicular traffic of any kind, and converted into an outdoor terrace for the bars and restaurants that line the street. Nearby, both Wall Street and Broad Street have also been closed to vehicular traffic since 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    San Francisco followed New York's lead after NYC banned cars on 14th Street in Manhattan. I think the Curbed article is making a bit of a leap, since most of the proposed closings have nothing to do with why NYC and SF banned cars on those roadways. I don't think any road in Detroit has the same dynamic of 14th Street, and to a lesser extent, Market Street have, which is a lot of pedestrian activity, a lot of bus traffic and frequent gridlock. I think, in both cases, the plan is not to completely ban vehicular traffic, but instead to ban through traffic by private vehicles. Cabs, buses, and commercial vehicles will still be allowed to use 14th Street, and private cars are allowed to travel for one block before being mandated to turn off onto a cross street.

Lower Manhattan's Stone Street might be a good analogy to what can be done on Monroe St in Greektown. The street has been completely shut down to vehicular traffic of any kind, and converted into an outdoor terrace for the bars and restaurants that line the street. Nearby, both Wall Street and Broad Street have also been closed to vehicular traffic since 9/11.
    On several weekend evenings last summer, DPD closed Monroe Street to vehicular traffic and people were free to roam in the street and sidewalk [[on that one main block of Monroe).