Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Best Brilliant Autumn Colors in Years

The colors in Metro D are absolutely vivid this year, the brightest and most colorful in years. Everywhere I go I see this spectacular show of nature, Nature's way of giving us a treat before the kick in the teeth of winter. Get out and enjoy it.

From this morning's walk in Farmington Hills' Heritage Park.

Name:  2019-Oct-fall-colors.jpg
Views: 5000
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  2019-Oct-fall-colors-river.jpg
Views: 5132
Size:  218.5 KB

I wonder if it's because we had such a wet spring and summer.

Colors tend to have to do with fall conditions. Best colors theoretically come from sunny days and cool nights [[promotes the anthocyanins that produce the redder/purpler colors) Of course, you might have more/bigger leaves from a wet spring.

Clawson's trees are beautiful too; these are just some snaps on the streets near my house:Name:  IMG_30501.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  52.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3055.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  70.9 KB

I've been wondering. Does anybody know what the best trees for fall colors to plant are in our area? I really like the idea of having aspens but they dont seem practical as a yard tree.

Thanks for the beautiful photos! Not much fall color here in the desert; I do miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    I've been wondering. Does anybody know what the best trees for fall colors to plant are in our area? I really like the idea of having aspens but they dont seem practical as a yard tree.
    Oak, Serviceberry, Maple trees. Burning bush are so pretty in the fall too. I have a Kousa Dogwood tree, doesn't get huge like the oak or maple. Blooms pink flowers in late spring and turn deep red/purple in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Aspen will only give you gold; pretty but a lot of trees will do that. I think birch is very close to aspen for color and it has the white bark.