Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: John Conyers

Default John Conyers

Passed at age 90

John Conyers, longtime congressman, has died at age 90
    CBS News|10 minutes ago
    Long-serving former Democratic Congressman John Conyers Jr., who was a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus and first introduced Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a holiday, but had to step down in 2017 amid allegations of sexual misconduct, has died, police said. He was 90. Detroit police told The Associated Press the former ...
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-co...es-2019-10-27/

Former Rep. John Conyers has died at the age of 90
    ABC News|36 minutes ago
    Former Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich., died at home while he was asleep, a family spokesperson confirmed. He was the longest serving African American member of Congress in U.S. history.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-...ry?id=66569041

RIP Rep. Conyers...

Just read this on the WSJ. Seemed like a good man. I didn't like his politics, but respected him.

Sorry that the media just can't help themselves from bringing up allegations. Allegations. Not conviction. Allegations. Inappropriate. And they wonder why we've lost respect for the media. When someone passes, it isn't necessary to repeat allegations.

RIP.

Rest in peace. I agree poor taste with the allegations.

With the media in this day and age, you're guilty until proven innocent. RIP Mr Conyers, for a job well done.

I'm wondering why the gov is not having flags fly at half staff or is she?

Just goes to show the dems going at each other -- so much for exclusivity!

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    Rest in peace. I agree poor taste with the allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm wondering why the gov is not having flags fly at half staff or is she?
    interesting. we'll see if/when this is done.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...-4/2500187001/

I wonder how many seats will be set aside for the general public. Just like Aretha Franklin, it will probably be mostly invitation only.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    interesting. we'll see if/when this is done.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...-4/2500187001/

I wonder how many seats will be set aside for the general public. Just like Aretha Franklin, it will probably be mostly invitation only.
    Aretha's funeral wasn't invitation only. It was planned as such at first, but they opened it up to the public. The line to get in, wrapped around Telegraph. No word if Conyers, will be the same.

First of all, I should tell you that John was a friend of my family, and was somewhat close with my father for a number of years back when my dad was involved in Democratic party. John was someone who was always concerned with trying to do the right thing legislatively for the people he served in Detroit, and for the country as a whole. His early years in Congress coincided with the Kennedy and Johnson administration, the heyday of civil rights and positive social action, and there were many successes, from voting rights to Medicare. In later years, as the political atmosphere changed, the successes dried up and John often found himself as one of the few voices in the wilderness calling for real social and economic change. This sometimes left him fighting not only the reactionaries of the right but also many in his own party.

The nature of legislative bodies means that legislators very often have to compromise or engage in some bartering to get things done. And John engaged in that process, of course. But he also, year after year, presented bills for things like universal medical care in order to make sure those issues were still heard somewhere and to keep them alive in the conscience of the Democratic party and the country.

We all know what happened in his later years, and the personal/family problems that he had [[and the still uncorroborated accusations he had to deal with), but none of that should overshadow what John Conyers did, and just as importantly, what John Conyers stood for throughout his long public life.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    First of all, I should tell you that John was a friend of my family, and was somewhat close with my father for a number of years back when my dad was involved in Democratic party. John was someone who was always concerned with trying to do the right thing legislatively for the people he served in Detroit, and for the country as a whole. His early years in Congress coincided with the Kennedy and Johnson administration, the heyday of civil rights and positive social action, and there were many successes, from voting rights to Medicare. In later years, as the political atmosphere changed, the successes dried up and John often found himself as one of the few voices in the wilderness calling for real social and economic change. This sometimes left him fighting not only the reactionaries of the right but also many in his own party.

The nature of legislative bodies means that legislators very often have to compromise or engage in some bartering to get things done. And John engaged in that process, of course. But he also, year after year, presented bills for things like universal medical care in order to make sure those issues were still heard somewhere and to keep them alive in the conscience of the Democratic party and the country.

We all know what happened in his later years, and the personal/family problems that he had [[and the still uncorroborated accusations he had to deal with), but none of that should overshadow what John Conyers did, and just as importantly, what John Conyers stood for throughout his long public life.
    very nice.

Detroit artist Nic Notion standing near his mural depicting John Conyers attempting to disperse the crowd on Twelfth Street in 1967.

Name:  Nic Notion.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  88.9 KB