Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Founders Detroit Taproom Closing Indefinitely [Reopening Announced]

Founders Brewery of Battle Creek, IMO along with Bell's the best Michigan beermaker, have acquired the former Cass Cooridor Food Coop building on Charlotte and announced it is opening a tap room on the site. The property was owned by Joel Landy [Addison Building, Burton Elementary [which I heard he also just sold] and the Scott Mansion].

Lower Cass Corridor continues to light up as the taproom joining Selden Standard, The Peterboro and Potato Beer Company along with old standby's like Honest? Johns.

Name:  cass-cooridor-food-coop.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  123.7 KB

More reading:
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

This is awesome news. Grand Rapids won a few "best beer city" awards a few years ago, maybe that balance of beer power is swinging to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Founders Brewery of Battle Creek, IMO along with Bell's the best Michigan beermaker, have acquired the former Cass Cooridor Food Coop building on Charlotte and announced it is opening a tap room on the site. The property was owned by Joel Landy [Addison Building, Burton Elementary [which I heard he also just sold] and the Scott Mansion].

Lower Cass Corridor continues to light up as the taproom joining Selden Standard, The Peterboro and Potato Beer Company along with old standby's like Honest? Johns.

Name:  cass-cooridor-food-coop.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  123.7 KB

More reading:
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit
    Founders is GR, not Battle Creek but yes, that and Bells are great breweries on a national level that we should be proud to have in Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    This is awesome news. Grand Rapids won a few "best beer city" awards a few years ago, maybe that balance of beer power is swinging to Detroit?
    I wouldn't go that far. Detroit doesn't have a national presence on the beer scene yet. There are some great micros though. Personally, I'll take Batch over Founders.

I like this trend. I hope all of the other great breweries in the state have a presence here, too.

Default Founders Detroit Taproom closing indefinitely

Due to a much publicized racial discrimination lawsuit, the Cass Corridor location will be closed for now.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ed/2453196001/

It's too big of an investment and very profitable to close permanently. They will do some "cultural sensitivity training", do some community connection work, then reopen in a few weeks. That's just my guess.

I like Founders' beer and enjoyed the taproom. But I will not be purchasing any of their product until they fix the cultural issues within the company. I'll give them a second chance though when the time is right.

Default Embattled Founders to close Detroit taproom 'until further notice'

Just in Oct. 25, 2019...
    "Founders Brewing Co. is closing its Detroit taproom "until further notice" as some businesses have cut ties with the Grand Rapids-based beer brewer over criticism surrounding a racial discrimination lawsuit.

"The brewery has "experienced some challenges at its Detroit taproom," it said in a Facebook post Friday morning announcing the closure.

"Founders said it will continue to pay its Detroit employees, including those who plan to protest during the closure, the post said.

"We have committed to working closely with our employees to make any changes to the company that need to be made to ensure a positive future. Those conversations are underway," the post said."

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/food-drink/embattled-founders-close-detroit-taproom-until-further-notice

This whole story seems 100% media driven. An employee was supposedly fired on a racist basis, the employee filed a lawsuit, in court the manager pulled some BS to keep out of the trap the employees lawyer set for him, innocence or guilt has NOT been determined.

I'm so sick of the "guilty until proven innocent" mentality that so many seem to have today.

I know Founders doesn't want this to be tried in the media but put it out there on why the employee was fired in detail. They either have something or they don't.

I have only been once and it was packed. I assume it is doing a good business but I wonder. Maybe Mahou is using it as a chance to close an under performing taproom?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    This whole story seems 100% media driven. An employee was supposedly fired on a racist basis, the employee filed a lawsuit, in court the manager pulled some BS to keep out of the trap the employees lawyer set for him, innocence or guilt has NOT been determined.

I'm so sick of the "guilty until proven innocent" mentality that so many seem to have today.
    Yes, true that we've come to believe everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Although I have zero sympathy for Founders trying to wiggle out of a charge by claiming they didn't know the man was black. Pres. Obama? Don't know he's black either. Had they not tried a b.s. legal tactic they wouldn't have failed in the court of public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Yes, true that we've come to believe everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Although I have zero sympathy for Founders trying to wiggle out of a charge by claiming they didn't know the man was black. Pres. Obama? Don't know he's black either. Had they not tried a b.s. legal tactic they wouldn't have failed in the court of public opinion.

To be fair, I believe the Metro Times article refers to just one deposition in a case where there has probably been quite a bit of discovery. We don't know what else transpired during discovery, and why this deponent was answering in that manner. It may very well have been due to opposing counsel's tactics in other depositions.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    To be fair, I believe the Metro Times article refers to just one deposition in a case where there has probably been quite a bit of discovery. We don't know what else transpired during discovery, and why this deponent was answering in that manner. It may very well have been due to opposing counsel's tactics in other depositions.
    Tell me more. What from the accuser's council would warrant such absurd behavior?

When lawyers ask these questions they have a goal in mind. They know what they need to get you to say to make their case. I would be willing to bet these questions were answered in this way on the advice of council in order to avoid falling into the prosecutions narrative.

Are we glad we have social media. One thoughtcrime and you're out!

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    When lawyers ask these questions they have a goal in mind. They know what they need to get you to say to make their case. I would be willing to bet these questions were answered in this way on the advice of council in order to avoid falling into the prosecutions narrative.

Well of course. That just means the manager was told what to say and they're trying to win the case. But does trying to win a case, absolve them of total b.s. and a lie? Of saying an employee he's met, he's not sure if he's black? Or he didn't know if Pres. Obama is black, never met him?

Not really sure why you guys are thinking its ok, if its part of a legal battle. A legal battle shouldn't be separate from reality and truth.

I think this guy knew he was black.

Trying to figure this out. I only went there once for lunch [tried to] but there was a line out the door and no parking. Business was booming. Never tried again but did the business fall off?

Often businesses will use bad press like they got as cover for closing an otherwise failing business.

I don't think the closing has to do with business. I think it is a knee jerk move with very little thought put into it, much like their response to the deposition and their response to dropping out of the Grand Rapids Chamber after they endorsed Bill Schutte for governor. They have no idea what they are doing in terms of PR.

Not really sure why you guys are thinking its ok, if its part of a legal battle. A legal battle shouldn't be separate from reality and truth.
    Think of it this way. How many hours of deposition was there? How much was "leaked?" Why was it leaked? If you are the plaintiff, you leak stuff because it looks damaging to the defendant. Were select pieces leaked? This is the plaintiff trying to get publicity / put pressure on the defendant as they might not have a good case and are angling for a settlement. Leaks are a good indication of this. If you have a slam-dunk case, leaking doesn't help you, and will more likely than not make the judge angry.

This is why you wait for a trial. At the end of the day, the plaintiff is trying to get money out of the defendant. The plaintiff's lawyer's job is to make that happen however they can. At trial, the nonsense stops and you see what cards they actually have to play. They might have a really good case with quite a bit of hard evidence. They might have rumor and innuendo. They might have nothing at all.

Tell me more. What from the accuser's council would warrant such absurd behavior?
    I honestly don't know, DeLemur. It's hard to imagine the deponent's attorney instructed him to answer in that manner. My only point was that this appears to be a brief exchange, and we don't know what else has occurred in the course of discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    I honestly don't know, DeLemur. It's hard to imagine the deponent's attorney instructed him to answer in that manner. My only point was that this appears to be a brief exchange, and we don't know what else has occurred in the course of discovery.
    True. Its really amazing the importance of words in the world we live in now. Just look at a tweet about Hong Kong from the Rocket's owner.

I've been there a couple times and liked ti very much. Hopefully they will eliminate the problem and go back to business.

The media is getting manipulated by the plaintiff's side on this one. Plaintiff has bootstrapped allegations in a legal pleading and an isolated stupid comment in a deposition from from a dumbass manager into painting Founders as a racist white power organization. Kudos to their successful but misleading strategy. This doesn't mean that plaintiff will win the case though. [[True enough, he has won already on a certain level, just not monetarily.) On the other hand, Founders' handling of this case will go down as an PR, HR and legal defense case study of how to do everything wrong when faced with an employment discrimination claim. Plenty of time to recover though. Wouldn't be surprised to see the case dismissed before trial.

.... colonialism and craft beer don't mix.
    This group needs to get it together, and quickly.

Founders reopening, will do a penance.

Founders Brewing to reopen Detroit taproom, donate profits to local charities
    Founders Brewing Co. will reopen its Detroit taproom in early 2020 and donate 100 percent of profits from the taproom to local charities through at least 2022, the Grand Rapids-based brewer announced Thursday.

The Detroit outpost has been closed since Oct. 25 following a storm of negative publicity and the settlement of a racial discrimination lawsuit.

"There's no question people are questioning our brand, our integrity and our motives," Founders co-founder Dave Engbers said at the announcement at the taproom.

Founders, Michigan's largest brewery, faced widespread criticism and protest about the way the company handled the lawsuit filed against it last year by Tracy Evans, who alleged he was mistreated because he is black and fired for filing a complaint.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/food-drink/founders-brewing-reopen-detroit-taproom-donate-profits-local-charities

I am more than satisfied by the commitment laid out in that press release. I won't be giving them my business until I see some results, but this is certainly a good first step.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast