Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Group looks to bring live music back to Belle Isle, explores possible restoration of

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/10/1...ick-band-shell

-The nonprofit Music On Belle Isle Group [[MOBIG) is in the process of organizing, raising funds, and raising awareness to revive the Remick Band Shell into an active music venue again.

-MOBIG president Craig Strain says the group’s top priority is to establish a music venue on the island, and for a return to the days prior to the 1980s when concert bands, symphonies, and similar acts made music in the park.

-“A lot of us remember those days and Belle Isle is a perfect place to play—it’s close to downtown Detroit, it’s on the water, and it’s just a beautiful island,” says Strain, who also composes, arranges, and directs various metro Detroit music ensembles.

-The shell appears to be in good shape from the outside, but its wiring and plumbing would need to be redone, and Strain says the dressing room underneath the stage is wet and damaged from flooding.

-But there’s another factor complicating a possible Remick renovation more than cost. Acclaimed Dutch garden designer Piet Oudolf is building a new garden on a lot across from the stage. MOBIG envisions putting on concerts that draw thousands of people, and Strain said it planned to use the lot on which the garden is being built for seating. That’s forcing MOBIG to consider alternatives like Sunset Point.

Moving it might be a good alternative regardless since there are concerns that water levels will continue to rise and impact that area. They have already had to alter the Oudolf plans.

When I was a little girl [[late 50’s-early 60’s) my family would attend those concerts. I remember seeing the Detroit Concert Band and the Detroit Symphony [[probably not the full symphony). It was a lovely venue on a summer’s night.

AND.....Craig Strain used to be the band teacher at Mackenzie High School when I was there! Small world!

Here are some historic photos of the Remick Bandshell https://detroithistorical.pastperfec...ck+Music+Shell