Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Jack In The Box? What was your go to location? How'd they rate with u at the time?

Who wants to bring 'em back to Michigan ? Their tacos and sandwiches were quite good

Schoenherr and 12 Mile Rd.

I recently moved to California and have one near me. Not sure what it was like back in the day, but I've tried it twice now and it's been awful both times.

I never had the pleasure of experiencing it here in Michigan. But when I was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA there was one right outside the gates, which I enjoyed frequently. The breakfast sandwiches and the tacos were my favorite. I would eat that over any other fast food offering if they came back here.

There were once two in Southgate: Fort and Pennsylvania, now a Checkers, and Allen and Goddard, now which is, I believe, some sushi restaurant/coney island.

And there was one in Taylor on Eureka and I-75 next to where Sprint is in front of where BJ's Wholesale and Menard's are.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    I recently moved to California and have one near me. Not sure what it was like back in the day, but I've tried it twice now and it's been awful both times.

I'm with Fred. Tried one of their butter burgers on the West Coast. I took one bite and tossed it in the trash. Fries were gross too.

8 mile and Ryan. Hit it late night inebriated. Quality? Didn't matter.

Their tacos were ok for my kid self but maybe not today. What I loved were the hot lemon pies!

Stromberg2

HereÂ’s a listing of local former Jack in the Box restaurants..

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgott...kinthebox.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    8 mile and Ryan. Hit it late night inebriated. Quality? Didn't matter.
    same here. Didn't like them, but I was prejudiced because I was working for BK at the time.

Used to hit the Allen/Goddard Southgate location. Loved the tacos. When I go to Cali my first stop is In-N-Out Burger than these guys.

Mack and Van Dyke baby. It was a staple of my early teenage years [[along with Red Barn). Over on Mack, the clown didn't mess around.

Later, when I lived in California for a while as an adult, I tried J-in-the-B again and realized it was actually pretty nasty. I'm in no hurry to see them back here again.

I think it was only good cause we were kids...... when I ate there!

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post

I remember when BK seemed to beat them out. Used to go to that well known Grady Keys franchise Burger King on Grand River near Linwood; it seemed such a treat as a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    same here. Didn't like them, but I was prejudiced because I was working for BK at the time.

... never got to visit one of these places. well, if someone wants to bring a franchise back here, kudos.

Greenfield just south of 11 mile in Southfield....
    Damn! What i wouldn't give for a dozen tacos!

Can't remember using the Jack in Detroit, but in Long Beach Cal. in the mid seventies, I saw a billboard that said "What ever happend to Rodney Allen Rippy ?"

Spray painted underneath was - "CHECK YOUR BONUS JACK"

During college years would drive from Ann Arbor to the Ypsi Jack-in-the Box on Washtenaw Ave. for breakfast sandwiches at 2:00 a.m.

Occasionally would stop into the Jack-in-the-Box on Mack Avenue in Grosse Pointe Woods, also after late-night parties. Large group stopped in after some black-tie soiree. Group was a bit rambunctious and the staff locked themselves in the manager's office and called the GP Woods police. Fortunately, no harm, no foul and we were allowed to leave peacefully.
    Last edited by GPCharles; October-23-19 at 08:56 AM.

Now most Jack in the Box restaurants are out in the west and several mid-west and mid-south areas.

Fred and Bong-man: I agree. I have lived in SoCal since '84, and I have regretted every instance I tried Jack-in-the-Box. It was usually a place of last resort if I was at a client in an unfamiliar neighborhood. Their apparent success has always been a mystery to me. They weren't so hot in Michigan, either. Even McDonald's is better, not by much, but edible.