Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default William Milliken RIP

A gentle political giant and great governor from less rancorous times has passed.

WILLIAM MILLIKEN | 1922-2019
    Michigan's environmental champion
    Longest-serving governor left legacy in the Great Lakes state

William Milliken, who was Michigan's longest- serving governor and a champion for Detroit, the environment, and a far more moderate Republican Party, died Friday. He was 97.

Milliken, who was governor from 1969 to 1983, was a World War II air combat veteran, a retailer, state senator and lieutenant governor [[to George Romney), all before becoming Michigan's 44th governor.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/?pub...660263_134114f

Milliken probably did more for Detroit than any governor since.

Back when a Dem could support a Republican and vice versa. RIP, Governor Milliken

^^^ Does days are over.

Now have family members bitterly split, not speaking over partisan politics!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-20-19 at 09:09 AM.

I worked for Bill Milliken. He was as nice a guy as you’d imagine; I still consider myself a Milliken Republican. Fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Before I changed over completely to being an independent if not a Democrat, I attended my county convention.

For those who have never attended a county convention, the alleged process is for Precinct Delegates to present their credentials in an effort to be nominated for the State Convention.

I know this sounds boring because it is, but this is the important point: I was standing up presenting my credentials and described myself as a Milliken Republican. At that point, two young men behind me started to woop and cheer with one yelling with a raised fist,

“That’s what I want to be a Militant Republican!”

I walked out.

It feels like his passing was glossed over by the raucous news cycle we have these days. Too bad. He's someone worth spending a little time contemplating these days. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I worked for Bill Milliken. He was as nice a guy as you’d imagine; I still consider myself a Milliken Republican. Fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Before I changed over completely to being an independent if not a Democrat, I attended my county convention.

For those who have never attended a county convention, the alleged process is for Precinct Delegates to present their credentials in an effort to be nominated for the State Convention.

I know this sounds boring because it is, but this is the important point: I was standing up presenting my credentials and described myself as a Milliken Republican. At that point, two young men behind me started to woop and cheer with one yelling with a raised fist,

“That’s what I want to be a Militant Republican!”

I walked out.
    I attended Kent County as well as state GOP conventions as a delegate in the late 1970’s, as a “Milliken” and “Rockefeller” Republican. Alas, another era. Somewhere I have a photo of me with Bill and Helen at a function.

I remember a gaff on a radio station as the Governor was being introduced as Williken Milliken and while it did produce some audible giggles, he
    smoothed it out.

Even though I was involved in Sander Levin's campaigns against him [[both of which came down to the wire), I always liked and respected Bill Milliken. As indeed did Sandy, and most other Democrats I knew. As many here have noted, Milliken was the very symbol of a less rancorous and divided era, when there was a general consensus on many of the things we stood for and we were all trying to achieve. A day when moderate Republicans still walked the earth and governed with care and compassion in addition to fiscal rectitude. Alas, those days seem to have passed, hopefully not forever, but seemingly for the foreseeable future. I hope that William Milliken, and the way in which he governed in what he saw as in the best interests of all the people and not just those who supported his party, will not be forgotten though.

Like many people, what I admired about Milliken was his moderation, his insistence on doing what he thought was the right thing instead of what was politically expedient. There's a reason he served 14 years as guv. And any guy who drops out of Yale and volunteers to be a waist gunner on a B-24 [[50+ combat missions, two plane crashes, and a Purple Heart) has a set of beach balls in his shorts.

I'd forgotten he'd publicly come out against "Mission Accomplished" Bush and "I Captured ISIS" Trump---two blowhard "warriors" and hands-down the dumbest fucks ever to sit in the WH, though of course he was too much the gentleman to ever put it in such terms. That whole generation of moderate and truly patriotic R's Milliken represented is just about gone, to the detriment of the country.

I like that he's being buried on Mackinac Island.

I didn't vote righty very often in life, but Mr. Milliken was one of them. He was a good boy, & those like him are sorely missed in the last few decades. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    It feels like his passing was glossed over by the raucous news cycle we have these days. Too bad. He's someone worth spending a little time contemplating these days. RIP.

Good point. The media today, only focuses on reporting divisive politics.