Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit World Trade Center?

Does anyone know of Detroit having a World Trade Center? No not twin towers but were there a World Trade Center housed in one of the buildings downtown?

Do you mean a design by Yamasaki that was a precursor to the WTC? If so, One Woodward Ave. [[MichCon/ANR Bldg.) was his first skyscraper. It is one of my favorites....https://live.staticflickr.com/3288/2...bfdcda1b_b.jpg

Eerily similar to the WTC.
    Last edited by Maof; October-18-19 at 07:28 AM.

No. I had meant an office for trading. Someone had told me that there were once a Detroit/Windsor World Trade Center somewhere near he Greyhound bus station on sixth street. I tried researching it but couldn't find anything strangely there is a telephone number

Was the Executive Plaza building the WTC you are talking about?

Do you mean a stock exchange? There was a Detroit Stock Exchange.

https://historicdetroit.org/building...hange-building

Quote Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post
    Was the Executive Plaza building the WTC you are talking about?
    Yes where the State Building was. The stone building as I had done further research supposedly "is" the Detroit/Windsor World Trade Center. I thought that the building was the former State Building before the glass and steel building next to I tut was constructed

Thus was the Detroit Stock Exchange that had operated in Downtown Detroit as well as the Federal reserve bank of Chicago that had moved to East Warren and Woodward. World Trade Center is a similar but different animal. I could see Detroit having one being that Windsor Canada is just across the stream

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Do you mean a design by Yamasaki that was a precursor to the WTC? If so, One Woodward Ave. [[MichCon/ANR Bldg.) was his first skyscraper. It is one of my favorites....Eerily similar to the WTC.
    Even more "WTC eerily similar" than the One Woodward building are Yamasaki's twin towers in Los Angeles' Century City.

Name:  CenturyPlazaTowers.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  109.8 KB

There was a developer who was discussing turning the MCS train station into a World Trade Center about a dozen years ago. It never got past the discussion stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    There was a developer who was discussing turning the MCS train station into a World Trade Center about a dozen years ago. It never got past the discussion stage.
    As I look online e and Google it Detroit Windsor have a World Trade Center on Sixth Street

Correct. His name is Sam Danou. I think it is a franchise type of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    As I look online e and Google it Detroit Windsor have a World Trade Center on Sixth Street
    Really? Did you see a picture of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Really? Did you see a picture of it?
    This is what I found.....https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wFHoECA4QBg

This is the name of the building formerly known as the Detroit Executive Plaza. This is from an article in Crains from 2014:

The Michigan Department of Technology, Management & Budget sold the Detroit Executive Plaza, which sits on 10 acres of land, in 2005 to World Trade Center Detroit/Windsor for $6.3 million, according to Washington, D.C.-based real estate information service CoStar Group Inc. World Trade Center is registered to developer Samir Danou, owner of Allen Park-based Danou Enterprises LLC.

The auction did not receive any bids, and Samir Danou still appears to be the owner. The World Trade Centers Association allows you, for a fee, to brand your property with the name.
    Last edited by archfan; October-22-19 at 01:13 AM.

Any movement is good movement when it comes to this place. Such a prime location it's hard to believe that a residential conversion wouldn't make sense. especially considering the ample parking included, and additional ancillary development opportunities on the current surface lots.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...t-office-plaza

"The property hit the market a year ago for sale but never traded hands. Bernstein said a prospective buyer out of Iowa was lined up but the deal didn't materialize.
    It was quietly shopped around a couple of years ago, too, after Ford Motor Co. announced it was redeveloping the nearby Michigan Central Station into an autonomous and electric vehicle hub.
    The complex has 613,000 square feet across an 11-story south tower and 21-story north tower sitting on about 2 acres plus three consecutive blocks of parking that can be built upon totaling about 8 acres once Abbott Street is vacated, a broker said last year."