Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Platform Getting Wobbly? Amid Stalled Projects, CEO Knoer Departs

The development group The Platform, that burst on the scene with big plans for the New Center and other areas including Island View and Brightmoor, appears to be in retreat. Yesterday it was announced that its CEO Dietrich Knoer was out.

Progress has been made on the Fisher Building, its The Boulevard luxury apartments two blocks to the west are nearing completion and the Pistons Performance Center just opened. However the Sachs Fifth Ave. Building was sold off, the rusting i-beams of the Baltimore Station 2 project [behind the White Castle] have sat idle for about a year now and condominium plans for the 6001 Cass [Former Albert Kahn-designed WSU Criminal Justice Building] fizzled. [Although I notice WeWork, the co-working space company, just leased 91,000 feet there].

Name:  6001-Cass-Platfrom-Kahn-1400.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  108.1 KB

I hope this is just a readjustment for these "Dan Gilbert's of the New Center".
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-over-ceo-post

Lowell, I think that Detroit's own Peter Cummings [[deep pocketed son-in-law of the late great Max Fisher) will be OK to head that up. He's the most important member of that team....

https://www.theplatform.city/our-team-2/

As to delays for some of the projects... I wonder if the lack of construction workers in metro Detroit [[besides increases in building costs)... had anything to do with some projects on hold?
    Last edited by Gistok; October-15-19 at 10:08 AM.

I know it's been stated before, but construction of The Boulevard has taken an absurd amount of time considering it's conventional design and construction.

Financing has been a big hurdle on many of these projects. Apartments are out, hotels are in.

They built the first floor of Baltimore station part 2 already which is still sitting there so they must have had some kind of financing for it. Who knows what happened they seem like a mess right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Lowell, I think that Detroit's own Peter Cummings [[deep pocketed son-in-law of the late great Max Fisher) will be OK to head that up. He's the most important member of that team....

https://www.theplatform.city/our-team-2/

As to delays for some of the projects... I wonder if the lack of construction workers in metro Detroit [[besides increases in building costs)... had anything to do with some projects on hold?
    Um. Detroit has a stupid " Must hire 51% of Detroiters or else%" probably is as major factor in the cancellation of projects due to much less than 21% of Detroiters have the skills to work in the construction field

With Chroma and the Boulevard wrapping up within the next 12 months it will be telling if some of their stalled projects come back to life afterwards.

Looking at their staff the organization seems pretty small with the majority of them having titles like Chief Executive of whatever, or vice President of something. Could be a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation where all the type-A personalities want to take the lead and no one wants to follow. Just a theory.

I think the Pistons practice area took a lot of their resources for a while. They had announced a bunch of projects and then got picked for the Pistons project. Now that's wrapping up, I would hope that the rest of the projects progress.

I always liked their approach to go into the neighborhoods and new center. To think about societal elements, but the $700,000 units in Cass and York? The exterior design is nice, but its too much, too soon for Detroit.

I am curious to see how the Boulevard does.

Their prices are certainly setting a new ceiling for New Center! Over $2.25/sqft for a one bedroom hasn't been seen out of downtown/midtown that I know of.

I was reading about the skilled labor shortage and some of the developers were saying it was, at this point, more crippling then a recession right now. With all that The Platform has on their plate and the labor shortage I'm not surprised that they can only take on so many projects at once. And that retarded law of hiring 51% Detroiters. I'm sure Councilwoman Lopez's heart was in the right place, but God what a dumbass law

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    With Chroma and the Boulevard wrapping up within the next 12 months it will be telling if some of their stalled projects come back to life afterwards.

Looking at their staff the organization seems pretty small with the majority of them having titles like Chief Executive of whatever, or vice President of something. Could be a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation where all the type-A personalities want to take the lead and no one wants to follow. Just a theory.
    On that note, a good leader is a reluctant leader. They can lead but choose not to. They lead out of circumstances arising from a lack of leadership [[Sigma). Far cry from the way corporations are led today [[Beta’s posing as Alphas).

I think you might be reading more into that link I posted about who they are... here is all about them...

https://www.theplatform.city/

The late Max Fisher's son-in-law Peter Cummings is in charge. He is the man behind Orchestra Place, the expansion of THE MAX [[Orchestra Hall), and building Whole Foods.

I don't think this company has employee issues, more likely just getting the workers they need to finish their projects. I have no problem with them. Peter Cummings [[a rich philanthropist and developer) has been a developer for a long time... they're not going anywhere but up.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I was reading about the skilled labor shortage and some of the developers were saying it was, at this point, more crippling then a recession right now. With all that The Platform has on their plate and the labor shortage I'm not surprised that they can only take on so many projects at once. And that retarded law of hiring 51% Detroiters. I'm sure Councilwoman Lopez's heart was in the right place, but God what a dumbass law
    I'm pretty sure that law is only in place if you take tax credits or subsidies. So if you want to hire whoever you want, pay for it all yourself.

Also, according to this article, the rule has been around for some time and is an executive order. Lopez might have had something to do with it recently, but I don't think she started it.

Lowell, 6001 Cass was never going to be condominiums. The condominium building was going to be located directly south on the parking lot. 6001 Cass [[The Platform calls it Cass Cadillac) was always going to be office space.

Wasnt the platform the group who was supposed to build that apartment complex on jefferson outside of Belle Isle. They tore down the big boy I think ? The lot is just sitting there, no activity ?? Also, anyone know whats going on with the Lafayette West development on Rivard where the old Shapiro Hall was.. ? It had the teardown, filling in of space, the typical fencing with banner advertising, and now.. nothing..Gosh Detroit loves to proceed this way..so odd.....Sometimes I think they do this so they can get free articles in the papers promoting it, throw a splashy announcement/ hoopla party.. then it becomes History.. what a waste of good money..and a waste of peoples time getting excited about it...

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Wasnt the platform the group who was supposed to build that apartment complex on jefferson outside of Belle Isle. They tore down the big boy I think ? The lot is just sitting there, no activity ?? Also, anyone know whats going on with the Lafayette West develop yiument on Rivard where the old Shapiro Hall was.. ? It had the teardown, filling in of space, the typical fencing with banner advertising, and now.. nothing..Gosh Detroit loves to proceed this way..so odd.....Sometimes I think they do this so they can get free articles in the papers promoting it, throw a splashy announcement/ hoopla party.. then it becomes History.. what a waste of good money..and a waste of peoples time getting excited about it...
    Follow the money. Could it be 5hat some contractor and an inside person are milking the system

Just drove by what had been the steel and concrete base of Baltimore Station 2 yesterday and the whole thing has been ripped up! There hasn't been any update on this development in quite some time after work stalled out.

Don't see any reason to do this unless they are re-starting the project from scratch? Anyone else see this or hear anything?

Just drove by what had been the steel and concrete base of Baltimore Station 2 yesterday and the whole thing has been ripped up! There hasn't been any update on this development in quite some time after work stalled out.

Don't see any reason to do this unless they are re-starting the project from scratch? Anyone else see this or hear anything?
    I emailed them a few days ago and this is the reply I got:

The Platform is revisiting our development plans for the Baltimore Station 2 site. After pausing construction and a relaunch effort with a co-living program due to COVID-19, we have determined the steel is no longer suitable for our plans. We are in the process of having it removed and the site returned to a clean condition out of respect for our neighbors. We are continuing to work on plans for the site and look forward to sharing those details in the future.

Blame the pandemic for this mess. When people stayed home, the economy shrinks. Sorry but it's back to drawing board. Detroit will never get its regional infrastructure back if the investors pull out and the society crumbles and Millennials whining about 'I want to special or I leave you.'

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Also, anyone know whats going on with the Lafayette West development on Rivard where the old Shapiro Hall was.. ? It had the teardown, filling in of space, the typical fencing with banner advertising, and now.. nothing..
    Lafayette West is pretty primed – the design finally looks complete and as of last month, they're collecting final permits. their website [[https://lwdetroit.com/) says construction is slated for Q4 this year.

I hope that's the case cuz everything in Lafayette Park has been cancelled, stalled, or downsized since I moved here. The area needs a win. The Platform is also supposed to be managing the old Joe Muer site on St. Aubin/Gratiot, which is another that has some glorious renders, but no sign of life on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    The Platform is also supposed to be managing the old Joe Muer site on St. Aubin/Gratiot, which is another that has some glorious renders, but no sign of life on the site.
    Gensler completed a masterplan for the site, but that's little more than 'what can the site feasibly accommodate'. Hopefully someday...

Baltimore Station 2 is truly baffling. I don't get how the platform fucked that up so badly. They still have it listed on their website and the platform just refinanced one of their biggest projects so they have lots of money to play with right now.

Maybe they're expanding the project? Who knows.

The Platdorm was probably some local Detroit development company that was giving contracts by someone in city government but had not proven themselves but being incompetent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast