Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Allen Park Cinema to close Thursday

http://www.thenewsherald.com/news/al...99d252773.html
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ng/3917376002/

Sad, but kinda expected. The last second-run theater in the metro area is going out of business.

It appears that the city of Allen Park is negotiating a purchase of the property.

The reason for the closure? Unprofitably. Last month, the MJR company was sold to European-based Kinepolis Group, though this theater wasn't included. Even though the trailers, tickets and concessions have the MJR branding, it wasn't really part of the MJR company.

When premium cable channels, pay-per-view and home video started gaining wide market share, it became clear that the Allen Park Cinema wouldn't be around forever. The fact that it made it well into 2019 is astonishing on itself.

Another factor is proximity to other theaters in the area -- MJR's own location in Southgate, the AMC at Fairlane and the new Cinemark at Southland.

I can't say I'm surprised. I am surprised it has lasted this long.

I'll be 29 next month, but my childhood was spent at this theater with my grandparents, when they were babysitting me just blocks from it. We would walk there a lot, watch a children's flick and it would be a fun memory.

Hopefully the facade can be saved and hopefully the building can be re-used.

I think back to all of the places that I watched movies in my childhood and they are all gone: Civic, Vogue, Alger, Ravona, Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I think back to all of the places that I watched movies in my childhood and they are all gone: Civic, Vogue, Alger, Ravona, Harper.
    ... and don't forget the Woods... Actually the Harper is still there [[so is the Alger)... but it's used for concerts on the weekend as HARPO'S. The Friends of the Alger [[God bless them)... are still hoping against hope to bring the Alger back to movie usage...

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Sad, but kinda expected. The last second-run theater in the metro area is going out of business.

It appears that the city of Allen Park is negotiating a purchase of the property.
    The Farmington Civic Theater is still running second run movies. The city bought the theater and kept it running, so maybe Allen Park will do the same.

My hometown of Traverse City managed to keep their small downtown theater, The State, and today it operates as a state of the art [[no pun intended) first run theater that also hosts various older movies and community events. I believe it's run by a non-profit and I know the staff is almost 100% volunteer. My father is a teacher and most of the school staff his school helps there in exchange for free tickets.

I would love to see this model implemented in Allen Park being that it's now at this junction. There are certainly the deep pockets in the area to renovate the theater, it would just take the effort of local influences to get the process going.

I also thought this model would work for the National Theater in Detroit if DG were so inclined, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I also thought this model would work for the National Theater in Detroit if DG were so inclined, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    The National Theatre is so trashed and ruined on the inside, that it would cost at least $25 million to restore... much less if all the little bit of the surviving plasterwork was ripped out and a plain modern theatre was installed within the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The National Theatre is so trashed and ruined on the inside, that it would cost at least $25 million to restore... much less if all the little bit of the surviving plasterwork was ripped out and a plain modern theatre was installed within the shell.
    From what I've see it would have to be a whole new theater inside. Saving the beautiful exterior would be enough of a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    The Farmington Civic Theater is still running second run movies. The city bought the theater and kept it running, so maybe Allen Park will do the same.
    So is the Redford, in Redford.

A friend mentioned to me it was Nicholas George's first theater - 1942. I like that "Modern as Tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    So is the Redford, in Redford.
    No, it is in "old Redford".... a part of Detroit.

Sad to hear it’s closing. I used to take my daughter there when she was little to see whatever kid’s movie was playing at the time. As a single mom on a budget, I could easily afford the $1.00 admission.

My next door neighbor had just gone there recently to see some movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    No, it is in "old Redford".... a part of Detroit.
    Thanks for clarifying....

If I had known this place was still active, I would have been going to it. I had given up on any "second-run" outlets after the old Cinemark at Universal Mall in Warren was bought and renovated by MJR. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    My hometown of Traverse City managed to keep their small downtown theater, The State, and today it operates as a state of the art [[no pun intended) first run theater that also hosts various older movies and community events. I believe it's run by a non-profit and I know the staff is almost 100% volunteer. My father is a teacher and most of the school staff his school helps there in exchange for free tickets.

I would love to see this model implemented in Allen Park being that it's now at this junction. There are certainly the deep pockets in the area to renovate the theater, it would just take the effort of local influences to get the process going.

The State is a great theater. Always enjoyed going to movies when I’m up there. Volunteers do a fantastic job with that place.

As far as the National Theater goes, I’m still not sure any movie theater would work in Detroit. There have been problems in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

As far as the National Theater goes, I’m still not sure any movie theater would work in Detroit. There have been problems in the past.
    Greater downtown has never been like it is now though, or at least not for a long time. I think something along the lines of the State or any "botique" single screen theater would do better in keeping the riffraff out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    If I had known this place was still active, I would have been going to it. I had given up on any "second-run" outlets after the old Cinemark at Universal Mall in Warren was bought and renovated by MJR. Oh well.
    There's always the Farmington Civic Theater or the Redford Theater.

IF [[with apologies to Rudyard Kipling) IF I could get my hands on the Fine Arts Theater on Woodward. IF I could restore the TeleNews theater to its 1940s design and then be able to afford to sit on it till I got a great idea for putting it back into service. IF I had a sane reason to restore the Trans-Lux Krim Theater, up in Highland Park. IF I could have the backing of celluloid pundit, Michael Moore [[State Theater, Traverse City) - then I would be a theater owner my son.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/news/ci...21DJe66Cc0GMJI

It's now officially under city ownership. The marquee has also been designated as a "landmark" of sorts.

https://www.thenewsherald.com/2022/0...ive-to-repair/

The building has been deemed too expensive to repair, so now it will face demolition.

I can remember when the Detroit News theater listing page covered a full page every day with all the Detroit [[and area) theaters listed and the start times of the mostly double features playing there.

It's sad that the city of Allen Park can't get any of those Pandemic Recovery Dollars to close the gap towards the actual costs of redeveloping the theatre. The theatres across main street in small town America are fast disappearing. Too bad, it looked like a nice building to restore, even if the inside was repurposed with another use in mind, as was the Berkley Theatre.