Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default UAW-GM training center reuse

Freep is gushing about developers running to this? Why?
    It's an isolated suburban-style campus not near anything. The only pro I see is the scale of the site. Too bad there's in ugly midrise on the best part of the site.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...nt/3898488002/

I agree. If it was a good location for a hotel the one next door wouldn't have struggled for so long and adapting it for residential would cost a fortune. Because it's relatively new, it will likely get sold and repurposed but it's hardly going to generate a bidding war.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Freep is gushing about developers running to this? Why?
    Because it's a relatively new building in a good location that probably didn't see a whole lot of use, so it's in good shape. Any grounds/site issues can be easily fixed.

Compared to most of the properties available that are in or near downtown, it's practically turn-key.

A prime location it is, I bet the views from the river side are spectacular! It's sandwiched between very nice properties [[HarborTown and River Place) and being within walking distance of restaurants and retail doesn't hurt either. The existing building is the biggest detriment to the property.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Too bad there's an ugly midrise on the best part of the site.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...nt/3898488002/
    Huh? How is this any different from River Place? Same brick multi-story veneer. Add a few more buildings to the property, and you have River Place II.

Oh yeah... you have those butt ugly carport roofs... why modern architects like to mimic each other with these carports is beyond me.

But for the buildings themselves, they are better looking than Solidarity House... an ugly building for sure...