Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Foods you once ate that were not good for you...

Let's start a list [[don't be shy - I too ate one of those pickles from that jar at the local neighborhood store!)

1. Briny Dill Pickles floating in that giant jar at the store. They'd pick one out for you [[unsanitary no kiddin'). The brine was murky dark, the pickles huge and salty [[high-blood pressure cookers!)
    2. Red Pistachios Nuts? They used to be dyed bright, some horrid #332 red or something. You never see those any more.
    3. Sassafras Tea! My parents made me drink that when sick. Isn't it a poison in large doses or maybe the root not the leaves [[someone please clarify)
    4. White Castle Hamburgers... well they're are back to being good though not recommended - LOL!
    5. Candy Cigarettes? Chalky looking candy sticks that looked like cigarettes! Stuck to your rear molars like cement!
    6. ...............?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-06-19 at 04:48 PM.

I loved to eat freshly ground beef straight from the mincer. Totally raw. Mum would smack me and call me an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I loved to eat freshly ground beef straight from the mincer. Totally raw. Mum would smack me and call me an animal.
    Bro, what?

Hah! I have always subscribed to the Dick Gregory principal of eating meat: "If you're gonna kill it. COOK IT!" Well done I might add.

I just remembered one: sticking my finger in the unbaked cake dough mix when my mother was not looking before she put cake into oven.

Not good! Raw eggs!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-06-19 at 05:27 PM.

I’d drink raw eggs all the time until a bad one turned me completely off. Same for milk. Remember the day I stopped drinking a liter of milk a day. Sculled down a mouthful of gross curdled milk in the middle of the night. Barely touched it since.

Didn't those "Orange Julius" drinks at the mall kiosk have raw egg in it?

And speaking of raw egg...

#6 The ORIGINAL Caesar's Salad...

#7 Carnival Elephant Ears... known as Beaver Tails in Canada... "deep fried dough of death"!!

Telway.

But I still cant give it up!

^^^ They had the greatest coffee and cream. Miss that!

Sounds like Kibbee or some stuff my brother the butcher used to make when he lived and worked in Rogers City. Chopped beef with a ton of chopped onion, salt and pepper. They used to sell it by the pound at the IGA he worked in and ate it on crackers. No one EVER cooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Sounds like Kibbee or some stuff my brother the butcher used to make when he lived and worked in Rogers City. Chopped beef with a ton of chopped onion, salt and pepper. They used to sell it by the pound at the IGA he worked in and ate it on crackers. No one EVER cooked it.
    Still made to this day at Plath's Meats and IGA in Rogers City. Referred to as "chopped beef". Tastes great on a Ritz cracker

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Telway.

But I still cant give it up!
    And why should you?!

Pop tarts are shockingly unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah! I have always subscribed to the Dick Gregory principal of eating meat: "If you're gonna kill it. COOK IT!" Well done I might add.
    Ewww!! Shoe leather much? I'll take medium rare thanks.

Eating a box of Swiss Rolls a day.

I rarely eat steaks. I don't want to see blood in my food.

And no ones doing rare chicken or pork for taste, are they?

Maybe some fad in California......

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Ewww!! Shoe leather much? I'll take medium rare thanks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-07-19 at 07:38 AM.

Yeah, basically just sugar, food coloring, and white flour with chems as preservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Oh yes. I have a favorite middle-east rest in Dearborn and the last time I was there they asked me to try a raw meat item [[Kibbee) that looked great but I just couldn't do it......

Cook my meat please!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Sounds like Kibbee or some stuff my brother the butcher used to make when he lived and worked in Rogers City.

White flour and rice, sweetened cereals, fruit juice, bacon and all processed meat, canned soup, pickles, regular cheese, potato chips, ice cream, pizza, ribs, fried foods, pop etc. and basically anything that tastes good.
    Gave them all up after a heart attack last year. I don't miss them as much as I thought and the science is very sketchy on saturated fats, carbs, salt, etc. but since I had zero other risk factors, the only thing I could change was diet.

Hah! Well that fills the list... LOL! I hear you. Awesome that you were able to change your diet so successfully!

Try some of the yogurt ice creams. Some are quite delicious!

Fruit juice can be diluted with soda water for a bit of sparkle!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-07-19 at 09:12 AM.

My brother was the butcher at that IGA [[I think the same name, but not sure) from 1968 until around 1976. He made a ton of chopped beef. I went Rogers every summer for 10 yrs. A lot of diving off that raft in the harbor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
    Still made to this day at Plath's Meats and IGA in Rogers City. Referred to as "chopped beef". Tastes great on a Ritz cracker

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Honestly. It's incredible.

butter on saltine and graham crackers for after school snack

sugar bowl at the breakfast table for cereal [[i would add by the heaping spoonful)

"guacamole" dip that was green - no avocados listed on the ingredients

drinking jolly good soda with red vine licorice as a straw

eating rye bread with butter at every dinner

we buy lean chop steak at xmas for 'tiger meat' / 'cannibal' sandwiches. i also recall them being offered at weddings similar to coneys/pizza nowdays

https://www.wpr.org/cannibal-sandwic...nsin-tradition
    Last edited by hybridy; October-07-19 at 08:47 AM.

I would say about 75% of my current diet. I work out an hour a day so I seem to be getting away with it, for now anyway.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast