Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Coneys!

...oh wait, still eat those.

Boston coolers!

...oh yeah, still make those too.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    we buy lean chop steak at xmas for 'tiger meat' / 'cannibal' sandwiches. i also recall them being offered at weddings similar to coneys/pizza nowdays

https://www.wpr.org/cannibal-sandwic...nsin-tradition
    Apparently, the tradition moved to Northeastern Mi, too. Back in the 60's

Goodness! LOL! Food coloring was used in everything, like those fake red pistachios!

..."guacamole" dip that was green - no avocados listed on the ingredients
    I like rye. Can't be too bad for yah, thinly sliced unless you can't do gluten. I'm getting hungry!

...eating rye bread with butter at every dinner
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-07-19 at 09:16 AM.

What's a Boston cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Coneys!

...oh wait, still eat those.

Boston coolers!

...oh yeah, still make those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What's a Boston cooler?
    Vernor's and ice cream

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I loved to eat freshly ground beef straight from the mincer. Totally raw. Mum would smack me and call me an animal.
    Nothing better than steak tartare! One of my absolute favorites. Just had some lamb tartare the other day at Mabel Gray. It was out of this world. Probably not so good for you but every once in a while why not.....

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Vernor's and ice cream
    Vanilla ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by cassique View Post
    Nothing better than steak tartare! One of my absolute favorites. Just had some lamb tartare the other day at Mabel Gray. It was out of this world. Probably not so good for you but every once in a while why not.....
    Steak tartare is my favorite food on the planet. When I lived in Europe I ate it far more than I probably should have. The best places were in Northwest France and Czech Republic around Prague. It is much harder to find in the US. Any suggestions locally?

Edit: I did have a version at Marrow in West Village a couple months back. It has rekindled my love of raw beef.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What's a Boston cooler?
    Vernor's and ice cream
    Congratulations. You've identified the one Detroiter who didn't know that.

^^^ Ah shucks J... I'ma sliding down the scale of intelligence. Oh the horrors...

And to think I could have taken a micro second to have looked it up to spare myself the indignity...... oh DARN IT!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-07-19 at 06:19 PM.

Ok, maybe this is just a Detroit thing because of all of the Auto plants, but any hot food served in the liquor store. Nothing bad about it, but I used to be hooked on K&G on Conner they still have the full spread.

Add to the list all of the canned soups and TV dinners that are high in sodium... nothing like getting your daily salt intake from one can of soup.

And such artificial stuff such as Cool Whip... Velveeta, and CheezWhiz... that last one has me wondering... what do you have when you take the Cheez out of it? Just Whiz?

Jello should probably be on that list... corn syrup, food coloring, and no nutritional value.

... and the bad food that few want to give up completely.... bacon.

Yes! YES. I went in there first time last year having working in the area and bang there were pork chops with onions swimming in gravy, ribs, corn-bread, fried chicken, mac and cheese this and that -- the works!

It was tripped out! Didn't look like the most sanitary set up, but I bet that food is good [[burp!) setting aside the grease, grit and salt!

And yes they're down the road from the FCA Jefferson plant so...

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    Ok, maybe this is just a Detroit thing because of all of the Auto plants, but any hot food served in the liquor store. Nothing bad about it, but I used to be hooked on K&G on Conner they still have the full spread.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-07-19 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    I’m going to check that place out. I like the food at Dan and Vi’s over on Chene. It ain’t like eating at the Ritz in Paris but it pretty tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

... and the bad food that few want to give up completely.... bacon.
    Chocolate covered bacon!
    yummo!

Eckkk! Bacon on donuts ala what's going on at Holy Moly donut shop!

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/holy...XdBJxsAn3Uefew

@Zacha341 sassafras tea was made from the bark of the tree as a spring tonic. It was alleged to be a carcinogen, but I remember sassafras being used in Hires root beer.

My dad would make "cannibal sandwiches" with raw minced beef, chopped raw onion, and a dusting of salt and pepper. He also like headcheese. My mother's family were Poles from the Chene and Palmer area,with them it was kiszka [[blood sausage) an czarnina [[duck's blood soup), blech!

I used to have ice cream or some sort of desert every day. I limit myself to a small piece of chocolate or piece of cinnamon toast now.

Also, not really food, but pop. Used to drink it all the time, now - maybe one or two a week if that. I've come to really like those flavored carbonated waters - like Bubbly - that have no sugar or anything in them. That, or unflavored mineral water with a drop of cherry or grapefruit bitters.

Bacon caramel ice cream sundaes; double Yum
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    Chocolate covered bacon!
    yummo!

Liver at least once a week [[an organ meat is good for you!) without understanding cholesterol.

Huge casreole of mac and chesse or spanish rice on the day the meat coupons ran out [[in WWII).

Sauerkraut in the winter from the big tubs put up in the fall.

Chicharrones [[AKA pork skins) Still eat them. Yummy

As a little girl, mom would give us one slice of homemade bread with butter and a sprinkle of sugar for a snack. So good. As a young adult, Whopper Jr. and fries after the bar. Been a long time I had one of those too.

2/3 of all fast food, the rest is marginal. Joined the vegetarians five years ago.

I’ve have tried a couple of Impossible [[non meat burgers) Whoppers because, guilty pleasure, l liked Whoppers back in the meat days.

The verdict? Couldn’t tell the difference. Same texture, same flavor, same color, same smell, same juiciness. Made me wonder if they slipped me a real burger. Pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    2/3 of all fast food, the rest is marginal. Joined the vegetarians five years ago.

I’ve have tried a couple of Impossible [[non meat burgers) Whoppers because, guilty pleasure, l liked Whoppers back in the meat days.

The verdict? Couldn’t tell the difference. Same texture, same flavor, same color, same smell, same juiciness. Made me wonder if they slipped me a real burger. Pretty amazing.
    Still not good for you: they use coconut oil to make them glisten and make them moist; saturated fats are about the same as beef; sodium is off the charts high with Beyond having 390 mg and Impossible at 370 before being "dressed". Whopper is 970 from whichever one they use. A single Five Guys patty from "real" meat has 50 mg.
    The real benefit of these patties is sustainability rather than health

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Still not good for you: they use coconut oil to make them glisten and make them moist; saturated fats are about the same as beef; sodium is off the charts high with Beyond having 390 mg and Impossible at 370 before being "dressed". Whopper is 970 from whichever one they use. A single Five Guys patty from "real" meat has 50 mg.
    The real benefit of these patties is sustainability rather than health
    This is so true, especially the sodium. They add so much salt to enhance the flavor.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast