Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I think the Sno Cap appeal was the little white ball candies that rolled on the tongue with the chocolate melted. Like Nonpareils
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    swizzle sticks. lemon heads. Mike & Ike. Now & Laters.
    I never "got" the appeal of Sno Caps. anyone else?
    Butterfinger candy bar. Whatchamacallit.

I can't eat sliders like I once did. I once could eat six in a row, but no more.

I look up the calorie count of various things at restaurants nowadays and I'm blown away. Just for the coffee-beverage industry alone: wow.
    When I was a kid I liked "blizzards" from Dairy Queen. I look at the calorie counts now, and it's just so depressing. I haven't had one in I don't know how many years.

I used to love penny candy from the local party store, licorice shoelaces, squirrels & maryjanes, jaw breakers, sweet tarts, Lik-m-aid. Lik-m-aid came in little packets [[not unlike Kool-aid) but you would dump it in your palm and lick it. Totally gross, probably all sugar, but I liked it. At the movies, I would get one of 3 things: sno-caps, jujubes, or popcorn.

Sliders from Dandy Hamburgers [[Plymouth & Greenfield) was a treat. We would stop there after church [[Grandale Presbyterian), as we would walk there. I still like a slider or two every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think the Sno Cap appeal was the little white ball candies that rolled on the tongue with the chocolate melted. Like Nonpareils
    I always liked those. That would be my choice when going to the show as well as Raisinets!

Pure sugar and food coloring. Real hygienic way of consuming too!!

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    ...Lik-m-aid came in little packets [[not unlike Kool-aid) but you would dump it in your palm and lick it...
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-16-19 at 05:54 AM.

Yeah, Nonpareils were a rather sophisticated candy of the lot.

Dark chocolate [[not kids first choice) with little white sugar dot coating-Yes!!

Last edited by Zacha341; October-16-19 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Mouth watering Cafe du Monde beignets!

Does anyone make those in Detroit?
    I've seen a food truck with Beignets painted on the side parked at Eastern Market before as well as downtown during an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Oh yes. I have a favorite middle-east rest in Dearborn and the last time I was there they asked me to try a raw meat item [[Kibbee) that looked great but I just couldn't do it......

Cook my meat please!
    My ex-husband's grandma made kibbee - it was good. Not that i trust anyone but grandma with it and she is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I've seen a food truck with Beignets painted on the side parked at Eastern Market before as well as downtown during an event.
    Well, thanks for the tip! Eastern Market would be a logical place to sell them.

They're more than just a donut!

Shed 5

The wax was flavored, like gum. You chewed it and then spit it out, like gum.
    The things with the sweet syrup inside were "Pop Bottles". You bit the top off, sucked out the 1/4 ounce of syrup and some chewed the wax and some tossed it out. Sometimes they came in tiny pop bottle carriers and had 4 colors/flavors: yellow, green, orange and red. I'm assuming lemon, lime, orange and cherry. They were called Nik-L-Nips

They can still be found @ Devries in Eastern Mark-up. They're a bit over a nickel, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-19-19 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    They can still be found @ Devries in Eastern Mark-up. They're a bit over a nickel, though.
    But then, a nickel isn't what it was back then either

Anyone remember Jolly Ranchers aka 'Wine Candy'?

Hard, but slightly chewy if you had strong teeth or did not mind a visit to the dentist!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-20-19 at 09:53 AM.

I always wondered how safe those things were for kids to eat. It made a rubbery candy with a slight chemical taste. The Tutti-Frutti flavor was horrible.

It was a successor to the Creepy Crawlers toy [[inedible). There was a version of Plasti-Goop that glowed in the dark.

Yeck! That looks like down-the-road latent cancer causing chem brew!

Once ate? lolol
    I still do choco chip cookie dough & warmed steak.

^^^ Together?

The way it's going, everything is bad for you. Now they're having issues with baby food having titanium and arsenic in it. Pretty soon, nothing will be safe.

I remember the Pop Rocks candy didn't 'pop' as much after rumor got out that Mikey from Life cereal died from drinking it with Coke.

He was even un-retired to put down the rumor. But those and pop bottle caps were still the best. Is Leddy's still around on Grand River?

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac6000 View Post
    I remember the Pop Rocks candy didn't 'pop' as much after rumor got out that Mikey from Life cereal died from drinking it with Coke.

He was even un-retired to put down the rumor. But those and pop bottle caps were still the best. Is Leddy's still around on Grand River?
    Leddy’s on Grand River? Never heard of it, there was a candy store on GR about 15 years ago, I think it was somewhere near I-96 but they were selling dope out of there.

Fresh Polish Kielbasa. My father and I would make it for Christmas holidays. Cubes of Boston Butt pork, marinated with water, garlic, salt, pepper, and marjoram for 24 hours, then ground and stuffed into casings. Took the stuff to the Christmas pot luck at work and they went nuts, ended up making an extra 5 pounds just for work each year.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    Fresh Polish Kielbasa. My father and I would make it for Christmas holidays. Cubes of Boston Butt pork, marinated with water, garlic, salt, pepper, and marjoram for 24 hours, then ground and stuffed into casings. Took the stuff to the Christmas pot luck at work and they went nuts, ended up making an extra 5 pounds just for work each year.
    My husband used to make his own too, but after it was cased, he'd smoke it. We'd have two smokers sitting in the driveway pouring out smoke for about a day in the fall. He used Judge Szmanski's recipe. Then we realized it was cheaper and easier to go to Polish Mkt and buy it

My husband used to make his own too, but after it was cased, he'd smoke it.
    I hope you managed to get him into a 12 step program.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I hope you managed to get him into a 12 step program.
    It was really hard to keep it lit, so he really didn't need to go 12 stepping

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Together?
    No, always seperate.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast