Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The verdict? Couldn’t tell the difference. Same texture, same flavor, same color, same smell, same juiciness. Made me wonder if they slipped me a real burger. Pretty amazing.
    My boss is a vegan and, when he tried one, it kinda grossed him out because of it's accurate simulation of meat. He liked the flavor but the texture was too on the mark for his liking.

A ringing endorsement I think

Ugh, I just cannot get the thing of wanting to eat blood. No, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    My dad would make "cannibal sandwiches" with raw minced beef, chopped raw onion, and a dusting of salt and pepper. He also like headcheese. My mother's family were Poles from the Chene and Palmer area,with them it was kiszka [[blood sausage) an czarnina [[duck's blood soup), blech!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Still not good for you: they use coconut oil to make them glisten and make them moist; saturated fats are about the same as beef; sodium is off the charts high with Beyond having 390 mg and Impossible at 370 before being "dressed". Whopper is 970 from whichever one they use. A single Five Guys patty from "real" meat has 50 mg.
    The real benefit of these patties is sustainability rather than health
    Yeah I aware of trade offs and that, to a different degree, they are still poison burgers, as I called them in the old days. But they score better, as you mention, on environmental sustainability. I don't plan on eating that many, just once in a while when I jones for the meaty nostalgia.

One of my big objections to meat was the range of antibiotics and other drugs that are pumped into beef and other animals. A thousand gallons of water is required for a pound of beef and a lot of carbon emissions come out the backsides. All that before the cruelty of the slaughter process.

Going off meat is not easy. 3/4 of the restaurant menu disappears and the remaining dishes are often boring. To my eyes these ersatz meats will greatly ease that step, should one decide to do it.

Now do foods that were *bad* that are now good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Now do foods that were *bad* that are now good.
    Butter- turns out margarine is worse

Eggs- overall cholesterol numbers are meaningless. eggs are a good protein source.

Fats- low fat foods are high in sugar, which is far worse for you than fats are.

^^^ I like:

Red pistachios are now good as they're no longer dyed RED. Woo-hoo!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-19 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Butter- turns out margarine is worse

Eggs- overall cholesterol numbers are meaningless. eggs are a good protein source.

Fats- low fat foods are high in sugar, which is far worse for you than fats are.
    As I mentioned in the earlier post, I had a heart attack so started reading a lot of info about diet. The biggest problem is that there is very little actual clinical science on the subject. Most of the studies are observational. ie. they looked at 400 people who ate this over 2 years. They don't look at the hundreds of other factors which differentiate people within the group. I just wish the gov't, doctors, etc. spent a little more time discussing the importance of an overall healthy diet when I was younger. I didn't even know what a carb was or that it turned into sugar in the bloodstream. This of course leads to plaque build-up and heart attacks. You don't have to be a diet fanatic but the "all bacon all the time" ads on tv need to be balanced with some common sense.
    Last edited by 401don; October-08-19 at 01:16 PM.

Subway Flatbread. Turns out you're better off getting the regular bread.
    https://fastfoodnutrition.org/news/s...ier-1412572002

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... #7 Carnival Elephant Ears... known as Beaver Tails in Canada... "deep fried dough of death"!!
    They called that "Navajo fry bread" in Arizona. I liked it so much I used to make it myself until I started getting too fat. LOL!

Now do foods that were good, then bad, and then good again. I nominate coffee and chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ugh, I just cannot get the thing of wanting to eat blood. No, thanks.
    Think of eating raw beef as 'extra rare'. It has more flavor than dried out well done meat. My grandmother would give me salted raw beef after school. She trusted her butcher. The Austrian mother of one of my schoolmates would sometimes bring him raw ground beef and egg sandwiches as a treat just before lunch. I don't think this is done so much anymore because of awareness of salmonella and other diseases from processing plants.

Related- Bacon, hot dogs and other lunch meats are being avoided by more people because of cancer statistics associated with them. My neighborhood Kroger's does have lunchmeat now that advertises no preservatives for the same price as regular embalmed lunchmeat.

What's a Boston cooler?
    There are a couple of origin stories about The Boston Cooler, my favorite one came from a very hungover Vernor heir.

During Prohibition grandpa James Vernor would visit his son in Detroit. Grandpa James and his grandchildren developed a friendship with the milkman who delivered milk, eggs, etc every morning.

During that summer Grandpa Jim and the milkman invented the concoction of Vernor’s pop and Strohs Vanilla ice cream.

It was named Boston Cooler because the house was on Boston Blvd.

Now, you know the rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    There are a couple of origin stories about The Boston Cooler, my favorite one came from a very hungover Vernor heir.

During Prohibition grandpa James Vernor would visit his son in Detroit. Grandpa James and his grandchildren developed a friendship with the milkman who delivered milk, eggs, etc every morning.

During that summer Grandpa Jim and the milkman invented the concoction of Vernor’s pop and Strohs Vanilla ice cream.

It was named Boston Cooler because the house was on Boston Blvd.

Be careful when traveling. The term "Boston Cooler" means different foods around the country.

In eastern Pennsylvania it's half a cantalope w/ice cream.

I've avoided raw so well I've never acquired a taste for it. Never had any unless it was an accident at a restaurant where some thing was served to me rare - cured by my not eating any further.

'Embalmed' lunchmeat! I'll remember that! Hah!

Trying to avoid that too along with raw meats! I don't eat sushi either.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    My neighborhood Kroger's does have lunchmeat now that advertises no preservatives for the same price as regular embalmed lunchmeat.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-10-19 at 09:01 AM.

The raw ground beef is formally known as "Steak Tartare". It is a German [[and other nationality) delicacy that I ate as a kid [[GROSS!!!).

Here is a history of the delicacy... love the part about the Mongol horde putting it under their saddle while they were riding to "tenderize" it. Yum!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

Anytime steak tartare is brought up, I can't help but think of this Mr. Bean classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6QqSxmpRMM

Quote Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
    Still made to this day at Plath's Meats and IGA in Rogers City. Referred to as "chopped beef". Tastes great on a Ritz cracker
    Shocked to see anyone here knowing about Plath's Meats in Rogers City. I lived up there for the majority of my high school years in the Mid-90s. Plath's has the best smoked pork loin and bratwurst. I am sure those are not good for you in the least.

Thank you, I have only been wondering about that for the last 60 years.

Be careful when traveling. The term "Boston Cooler" means different foods around the country.

In Alabama there known as "Lamb Fries".

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Shocked to see anyone here knowing about Plath's Meats in Rogers City. I lived up there for the majority of my high school years in the Mid-90s. Plath's has the best smoked pork loin and bratwurst. I am sure those are not good for you in the least.
    My brother, who lived on Michigan up toward the hill, lived there for about 10 yrs and worked at the IGA, which I think used to be on Erie St east of 3rd. I can't remember who owned it back then, though. I spent a lot of my teen summers up there. Fun times

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My brother, who lived on Michigan up toward the hill, lived there for about 10 yrs and worked at the IGA, which I think used to be on Erie St east of 3rd. I can't remember who owned it back then, though. I spent a lot of my teen summers up there. Fun times
    I lived at the top of the hill at the SE corner of 6th and Ontario. The IGA was in the plaza at 3rd and Erie but was on the east side of the plaza at 2nd. It was Mr. Ed's or Mr. Bill's IGA, I cannot remember which I just remember laughing at the name. It is now a Save-a-lot.

I just remembered one: sticking my finger in the unbaked cake dough mix when my mother was not looking before she put cake into oven.

Not good! Raw eggs!
    Oh HELL YES!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I lived at the top of the hill at the SE corner of 6th and Ontario. The IGA was in the plaza at 3rd and Erie but was on the east side of the plaza at 2nd. It was Mr. Ed's or Mr. Bill's IGA, I cannot remember which I just remember laughing at the name. It is now a Save-a-lot.
    I think Ed was my brother's boss, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Pop tarts are shockingly unhealthy.
    I eat pop tarts all the time! Not the frosted ones though

Wax lips

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Vanilla ice cream.
    Any Ice Cream !!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast