Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2019-2020 Detroit Pistons

Tip off for the Pistons 2019-2020 preseason play on Monday. What are their prospects for returning to the playoffs? Last season they wheezed into the playoffs with a 41-41 record and were promptly blown away in four straight lopsided losses.

Their all star core is intact and, seemingly, the bench and front line has been improved with the addition of former MVP Derrick Rose, Tony Snell, Markieff Morris, and their darkhorse first-round pick Sekou Doumbouya.

Coach Casey is building more of a three-point shooting team with bigger beef off the bench to back up the twin towers of Griffin and Drummond. This team looks better, but are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Tip off for the Pistons 2019-2020 preseason play on Monday. What are their prospects for returning to the playoffs? Last season they wheezed into the playoffs with a 41-41 record and were promptly blown away in four straight lopsided losses.

Their all star core is intact and, seemingly, the bench and front line has been improved with the addition of former MVP Derrick Rose, Tony Snell, Markieff Morris, and their darkhorse first-round pick Sekou Doumbouya.

Coach Casey is building more of a three-point shooting team with bigger beef off the bench to back up the twin towers of Griffin and Drummond. This team looks better, but are they?
    Much of the East, especially the top 4-5 teams, look like they have improved more than the Pistons. The Raptors obviously lost two key pieces but will be better than people think. For the Pistons, it will be more of the same. Try to keep Griffin, Jackson, and now Rose, healthy and squeak into the last playoff spot. Expect tons of empty seats again.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Much of the East, especially the top 4-5 teams, look like they have improved more than the Pistons. The Raptors obviously lost two key pieces but will be better than people think. For the Pistons, it will be more of the same. Try to keep Griffin, Jackson, and now Rose, healthy and squeak into the last playoff spot. Expect tons of empty seats again.
    On paper, they look better. But games aren't won on paper. Health will be key, plus Drummond is going to have to show major improvement, on the offensive side as well as rim protection. I agree they will be fighting for a lower tier playoff spot with teams like Orlando, Miami, Atlanta and maybe the Bulls and Knicks.

I'm torn on this team. For the first time since Tayshaun Prince, they might have a real small forward [[Snell) and bringing in Rose and Frazier immediately ensures that major minutes don't go to Jose Calderon in case of a PG injury. Plus, Drummond is in a contract year with plans to opt out and Reggie is healthy for the longest point in his Pistons career.

On the other hand, the East got better, Griffin was unable to finish the season without injury and the team's shooting wasn't improved a ton [[from a roster standpoint).

I think we'll need a lot from Kennard and Bruce Brown to make something of this season, but it feels like we're headed for somewhere around the 7 seed. Hope I'm wrong!

Pistons are in both salary cap hell and .500 season mid-level draft choice hell. The kind of a situation where getting to the 6 spot and winning a first round playoff game or two will seem like a big success. Since they're not drawing any fans anyway for this mostly unexciting, mediocre, and aging team, perhaps a fire sale and a good tank year or two is in order.

They're still a middling team. 38-41 wins which is where they landed the past three seasons is probably what we'll see again.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Pistons are in both salary cap hell and .500 season mid-level draft choice hell. The kind of a situation where getting to the 6 spot and winning a first round playoff game or two will seem like a big success. Since they're not drawing any fans anyway for this mostly unexciting, mediocre, and aging team, perhaps a fire sale and a good tank year or two is in order.
    I could see Derrick Rose "revitalizing" his career here for about a month and then going down with an injury.

Blake Griffin...also going down with a long injury at some point. Last year's relative health was an anomaly in his career.

Brown was a surprise and have a feeling he will continue to get better.

But other than that...Kennard? Ok. Drummond? Overrated. Might be a long season. Hope I'm wrong

Pistons are only in salary cap hell for 1-2 more years, with Drummond, Griffin and Jackson all coming off the books. I think they'll try to re-sign Drummond, but I don't think tanking is the only option. Expiring deals are nice trade assets. And Josh Smith comes off the books after this season too.

I've been very happy with what Stefanski has done with this roster despite those cap constraints [[drafting Brown and Thomas, turning Leur into Snell, signing Rose and Frazier), so I won't let the sins of Dumars and SVG shape my opinion of this franchise's future ability to improve.

I think the Pistons go 44-38.

My Question is How will the Pistons play? quite fine with a little improvement.

Will they make the play-offs? Yes by getting 6th seed in the Eastern Conference.

Solid win in the opener, especially without Blake. Drummond was a monster, Kennard had a career high of 30 and Rose looked like vintage DRose.

It's just one game, but there were a lot of encouraging signs. On to the home opener tonight against Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Solid win in the opener, especially without Blake. Drummond was a monster, Kennard had a career high of 30 and Rose looked like vintage DRose.

It's just one game, but there were a lot of encouraging signs. On to the home opener tonight against Atlanta.
    Drummond played with energy and conviction. He should play that way all the time, not just because he's playing for a new deal. Funny how that works, players who are in the last year of their deal, usually have a career year. Kennard has picked it up from last year's playoffs. I like what I'm seeing from him, he can stroke it from downtown.

Indeed it was. This already looks like a more versatile and agile team. I'm as elated as I was with the Red Wings opening win. ha ha. The way Drummond played one would think it was a pre-free agency year.

Drummond played within himself last night. I think he put to bed the questions about his effort last season, but often times his effort was spent trying to do too much [[like back down Joel Embiid or get into one on one battles with opposing centers). He's best when he just takes what the game gives him, attacks the glass and operates within the pick and roll, and that showed last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Drummond played with energy and conviction. He should play that way all the time, not just because he's playing for a new deal. Funny how that works, players who are in the last year of their deal, usually have a career year. Kennard has picked it up from last year's playoffs. I like what I'm seeing from him, he can stroke it from downtown.
    I think the better the outside shooting, the better and more valuable Drummond is.

I think the better the outside shooting, the better and more valuable Drummond is.
    #Truth

Well it seems Mr. Gores has finally seen the light. After another disappointing, injury plagued and thoroughly predictable season the Pistons are actively trying to move Andre Drummond. They won't get much but at least with him gone they can go into full tank mode and start the rebuild with a better draft pick. They can't really rebuild until they get rid of the albatross known as Blake Griffin but that's not happening unless they give away some of their young talent as well. [[see Tigers-Cabrera)
    Last edited by 401don; January-03-20 at 06:45 PM.

They are "unwatchable" @ 12-23......thanks SVG.

have more color combos for their baseball hats. Try blue/orange.

They're decimated by injuries, which shouldn't be too much of a surprise, as the roster was constructed around injury-prone guys.

The small sliver lining is their rookie Sekou Doumbouya has started his first two games and gotten a double double in each. I didn't expect to see him this soon in his career as he's only 19, but that could turn out to be a very nice pick.

They're decimated by injuries, which shouldn't be too much of a surprise, as the roster was constructed around injury-prone guys.

The small sliver lining is their rookie Sekou Doumbouya has started his first two games and gotten a double double in each. I didn't expect to see him this soon in his career as he's only 19, but that could turn out to be a very nice pick.
    I saw him on tv in a g league game and he looked pretty good. He can shoot the 3. Obviously he needs to put on some muscle but if he turns into half of Pascal Siakam then it was a solid pick. Brown ideally wouldn't be starting but can be good off the bench and Kennard is solid as well so they have a few pieces. They really need to move Drummond so they can tank to improve their own pick and hopefully pick up a late 1st pick for him as well.

I saw him on tv in a g league game and he looked pretty good. He can shoot the 3. Obviously he needs to put on some muscle but if he turns into half of Pascal Siakam then it was a solid pick. Brown ideally wouldn't be starting but can be good off the bench and Kennard is solid as well so they have a few pieces. They really need to move Drummond so they can tank to improve their own pick and hopefully pick up a late 1st pick for him as well.
    Tanking for draft picks -not the first time I’ve heard that, it seems to happen a lot around here. How has that worked out for the Lions over the past 60 years?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Tanking for draft picks -not the first time I’ve heard that, it seems to happen a lot around here. How has that worked out for the Lions over the past 60 years?
    Huge difference between a roster of 12, where only about 8 guys play and 5 start vs. a roster of 50. Also, I'm not suggesting a multi-year tank plan. I'm saying if it's time to move on from Drummond, who since he's leaving at the end of the season anyway and you don't really have a choice, it's better to move him now and get a chance at an impact player in this year's draft.
    Besides all that, I don't think any NFL team ever tanks. The coach and gm are trying to hang onto their jobs and losing the last few games of an already bad season would rarely benefit a team that much.
    Last edited by 401don; January-05-20 at 03:48 PM.

I kind of enjoy watching the youth corps getting minutes and the win vs the albeit now lame Golden State is the kind of fast, quick game I feel they need to evolve toward. With Andre on the bench with fouls and Blake gone, it was an exciting game. Poor Blake has been a sad shadow of his former self and should be sidelined for an extended time, maybe the season. Beginning to wonder if he is over hill.

Meanwhile Christian Wood continues to amaze, Bruce Brown get better and faster on both ends, Svi looks like the genuine item and, although its only two games, Sekou Doumbouya shows huge promise. I'd rather watch them lose with them than the old guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I kind of enjoy watching the youth corps getting minutes and the win vs the albeit now lame Golden State is the kind of fast, quick game I feel they need to evolve toward. With Andre on the bench with fouls and Blake gone, it was an exciting game. Poor Blake has been a sad shadow of his former self and should be sidelined for an extended time, maybe the season. Beginning to wonder if he is over hill.

Meanwhile Christian Wood continues to amaze, Bruce Brown get better and faster on both ends, Svi looks like the genuine item and, although its only two games, Sekou Doumbouya shows huge promise. I'd rather watch them lose with them than the old guys.
    Totally agree and, while having a high lottery pick is ideal, coach Casey watched Masai Ujiri with the Raptors show that you can put together a very good roster with smart scouting and trades.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Oh, that has worked-out great: Joey Harrington, Andre Ware, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Drew Stanton, Jahvid Best......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast