Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit St. Marys of Redford

All Class - All Parish Reunion September 4, 2009 at Knights of Columbus - Monaghan.7pm

Farmington Rd. - Livonia [[Westide of the street just north of 7 Mile)

Bar none the best Detroit neighborhood growing up!

Does this even include class of 1988

Default Smr 1988

Certainly it does

This was in today's obit's. I'm not a St. Mary's alum but thought I'd pass this along.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...-administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Olaim1 View Post
    Bar none the best Detroit neighborhood growing up!
    I'll second that. There certainly couldn't have been a better place to grow up. For me the school and the neighborhood were virtually one and the same - I lived two short blocks away from St. Marys, went to church there, went to school there for 12 years [[kindergarten at Edison), hung out in the gyms, played strikeout and plastic ball in the playground/parking lot, parents were active in parish activities, etc, etc.

I guess I'll have to stop in for a beer. I was thinking they did that the Friday after Labor day for some reason. I guess it's always the first Friday in September. Hope there's a good turnout.

[quote=zitro;64054]This was in today's obit's. I'm not a St. Mary's alum but thought I'd pass this along.

Wow!!!!!

This sounds kinda weird.
    Anybody have any details about cost etc?
    I wonder if a regular class reunion morphed into an all
    class reunion when they couldn't get enough people to show up.
    Our 40th SMR reunion for the class of 1969 is set for Nov. 14th at Monaghans. Seems like over kill to have this reunion.

My cynical bro-in-law says it is the new annual guilt-trip to give to support the grade school or something like that?!

Has less to do with alumni seeing each other than to gather funding for whatever it is they need.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    This sounds kinda weird.
    Anybody have any details about cost etc?
    I wonder if a regular class reunion morphed into an all
    class reunion when they couldn't get enough people to show up.
    Our 40th SMR reunion for the class of 1969 is set for Nov. 14th at Monaghans. Seems like over kill to have this reunion.
    In reply to both Daddeo and Gannon...

They've been doing the all-classes thing for many years. It's always been in early September at Monaghans. They had some at the old gym the last three or four years [[in October, separate from the Monaghans one), with very good turnouts at those, mostly from classes from the mid 70s and earlier. Not sure if they're doing one of those this year. The Monaghan one used to get great turnouts back in the 90s, but has dwindled down over the last few years. There is often a 'regular' class reunion the day after - 20th, 30th, 40th, etc. The folks from those reunions often come to the all-classes the day before for a little warmup for their main event. The Monaghans one is simply a get-together for people from the school and the old neighborhood. - I've been to most over the last 15 years or so, though I think that fundraising only went on if there was also a 'regular' reunion going on in the hall area [[occasionally those happen on the same day) - the all-classes thing is completely informal, no admission, in the bar area, no dinner or anything. Just go in, have some beers and BS with people. It's not really a reunion per-se.
    Last edited by SMRJim; September-03-09 at 04:38 PM.

This is no fundraiser.

It is nothing of the sort. The grade school closed 2 years ago. The high school has been closed since I believe 1992. This is simply a party for those who grew up in the parish or attended SMR grade/high school.

if you go back in the hall their is a donation with cash bar. If you stay in the lounge it is only a cash bar.

No guilt what so ever! Come if you are looking for a good time. Stay home if you want to whine about growing up Catholic/or attending SMR.

Thanks for the update.
    I asked around and what you say is true. Now that
    the schools are closed and the chief fundraiser is laid off
    there won't be raffle sales anymore.
    Maybe they figure word of mouth will bring out the people.
    All I know is, we had a grade school reunion for MOS and we got over 225 to turn out with good planning.