Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2019-2020 Detroit Red Wings

The puck drops on the Wings 2019-2020 season on Friday night. Will their fast-skating and maturing young core of Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha and Athanasiou lift Detroit's most successful sports franchise back to being a playoff caliber team?

I seem to be on the too optimistic side of things according to many. Most pundits have Detroit exactly where they have been the last few years, between 70 and 75 points. However I beliene a corner is being turned this year. A healthy Mantha is due to explode, Larkin should be in the 80-90 point range, and AA will anchor the second line. The addition of Taro Hirose [[averages 1 point per game), signed out of MSU could push the top 6 into a more consistent threat that take pressure off of Howard/Bernier.

Additions of Erne and Nemeth will add size and grit to a team that was woefully outplayed in the corners the last few years.

I hope Zadina, Valeno, Rasmussen, and Seider see a good amount of NHL time. They are all due to be full time NHL-ers in the next 18 months. Getting them some time in Detroit would be beneficial to their development.

I expect Detroit to battle for the 8 seed this year. It will be tough though with the divisional alighnment and wild cards up for grabs. Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Florida are all well ahead of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Will their fast-skating and maturing young core of Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha and Athanasiou lift Detroit's most successful sports franchise back to being a playoff caliber team?
    I doubt it Lowell. These boys are gonna spend another couple three years out of the playoffs. Dearly wish it wasn't so, but....

That last exhibition game against the Leafs, with both teams using their regulars, showed just how outmatched the Wings will be against the better teams. Lots of effort will lead to close games but more OT & shootout losses due to the lack of big scorers. The NHL's points system will once again allow the Wings to pretend they are in the playoff hunt until February.
    Last edited by 401don; October-03-19 at 11:00 AM.

I'll preface my next statement by saying I'm excited the way our young core is shaping up and hope to see some of the recent 1st round picks graduate to the big club at some point this season. It will be interesting. Having said that.....

There is no way in HELL that the Wings even sniff the playoffs this season. It's not that I'm hating on them, but just consider the teams they must climb over to get a spot, as I would guarantee these teams listed below grab a spot:

Tampa Bay
    Boston
    Toronto
    Washington
    Pittsburgh
    NY Islanders
    Florida

Carolina and the Rangers are also much improved, and New Jersey/Philadelphia got better as well. You're going to have 6 or 7 teams basically fighting for that last wild card spot. Unless some teams ahead of them have incredibly bad years or suffer massive amounts of injuries [[which are possible), Stevie Y's 1st year in Detroit will not register a playoff birth and will be making another trip to the draft lottery.

I do believe though that next year, after getting some bad contracts off the books and another seasoning of youngsters/adding some free agents, we will be poised to make a run at a playoff spot.

The Abdelkader contract continues to hurt us. We have cap room but no roster spots to work with. It's a frustrating situation, but should clear up as sone of the old guard falls off the books over the next 2 years.

These links tell the painful story. The pain is real, obviously I still suffer from Harkness PTSD. Hope Steve can bring them back up before my time is up.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...groups-2019-20

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...man-era-begins

I'm more hopeful now with the new GM but I think the 2 ton elephant in the room is the goaltending. Are Howard and Bernier good enough? Neither seems top tier to me.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm more hopeful now with the new GM but I think the 2 ton elephant in the room is the goaltending. Are Howard and Bernier good enough? Neither seems top tier to me.
    To me Howard was great last year, but lacked goal support. We were -50 in goal differential and had a terrible record in one-goal-games. If we can improve our record in close games then we jump up in the standings.

That is where beefing up the play in corners in both the offensive and defensive ends comes into play. Of our 277 goals allowed last year, 21% of them came from plays originating in the corner. Of our 227 goals scored, only 7% originated in the corners. Gotta win the ugly hockey.

Everything I've seen about the team points that defense will be the main thing to hold this team back. Most 'power rankings' still show them as a bottom five team.

I think they're getting some good young talent in the system but they're still 1-2 years away from being considered a playoff team.

So my question is... How will the Red Wings Play? somewhat horrible!! Not enough strong defense. Too scared to get checked and Blashill will remain a lousy head coach!

Will they make the play-offs? barely!!!

Their first line, going back to the last six weeks of last season, is shaping into one of the best. The second line was shaping up well too. AA out will be missed, but they are playing safe for the long game. A little seasoning in the young D will go a long way. I predict an 8 seed in the playoffs, but would not be surprised if they missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So my question is... How will the Red Wings Play? somewhat horrible!! Not enough strong defense. Too scared to get checked and Blashill will remain a lousy head coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Somewhat horrible teams do no make the playoffs, not even barely. Just ask the Tigers how somewhat horrible teams do.

If the Wings start screwing up put Yzerman back on the ice as coach. Lace 'em up, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Somewhat horrible teams do no make the playoffs, not even barely. Just ask the Tigers how somewhat horrible teams do.
    Ah, but good teams that make the playoffs dont necessarily do well, e.g. Tampa Bay last year.