Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default SMART BUS Nonsense

Ya know. I'd like to vote for RTA and SMART however it makes no sense. FAST ignores Grand River and most signs are torn down [[11 and Woodward) and beyond. Rail [[like Portland, OR) would be good but this city and region seems not able to create such a system.

Tell a voter how we can remedy a funked up situation

If this thread catches on it's going to be cancer.... again

Not trying for it but wondering where the money goes @Seven&wyo

Love

Yes. It seems to reincarnate in slightly different variants and permutations with the usual righteous 'anti-car' toss-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post

Can you explain further how it "ignores" Grand River? That it doesn't have a route? So? Neither does Telegraph or Fort or Van Dyke. Should they? probably. But Woodward, Gratiot, and Michigan were chosen first.

Sorry to hear about 11 Mile and Woodward. Call SMART and report it. As far as I'm aware there's upgraded shelters there too so it's not like the bus won't stop for passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Ya know. I'd like to vote for RTA and SMART however it makes no sense. FAST ignores Grand River and most signs are torn down [[11 and Woodward) and beyond. Rail [[like Portland, OR) would be good but this city and region seems not able to create such a system.

Tell a voter how we can remedy a funked up situation
    Grand River FAST service doesn't make sense at the moment because Novi is an opt-out community. If the RTA passes, Grand River and Van Dyke would be the first up to get FAST service.

This region will never get behind comprehensive rail. At this point it's too expensive and rigid. With the rapidly changing mobility market, I, too, don't think it's a wise investment. BRT is the best to shoot for.

I've always wanted clearer signage [[and clearer route maps) from both SMART and DDOT [[the FAST Gratiot routing to WSU comes to mind). I haven't noticed the missing signs at 11 & Woodward, but you do know the actual FAST stop is an 1/8 mile south of 11 Mile just south of Hendrie, no? If you've been looking for it at the first SMART stop north of 11, you'll never find it.

http://www.rtamichigan.org/wp-conten...ortunities.pdf

Thank you and I appreciate your reply. I don't have time right at the moment but will certainly provide a background for my concerns

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Can you explain further how it "ignores" Grand River? That it doesn't have a route? So? Neither does Telegraph or Fort or Van Dyke. Should they? probably. But Woodward, Gratiot, and Michigan were chosen first.

Sorry to hear about 11 Mile and Woodward. Call SMART and report it. As far as I'm aware there's upgraded shelters there too so it's not like the bus won't stop for passengers.
    There is no SMART bus service along Grand River within the Detroit city limits. SMART does provide weekday Fort and Van Dyke through the city, and as well as Weekday/Saturday Telegraph service.

There was a SMART Bus route along Grand River that ran through the city, called the 305, but it was eliminated at least 10 years ago.

SMART's current Grand River service through the suburbs is a once-an-hour route in which 1/2 of the route travels along Beech Daly Avenue in Redford. Although it does go to downtown Farmington, the route does not go to the gigantic retail district in/around Grand River in Novi, because Novi doesn't want to fund any SMART service.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Grand River FAST service doesn't make sense at the moment because Novi is an opt-out community. If the RTA passes, Grand River and Van Dyke would be the first up to get FAST service.

This region will never get behind comprehensive rail. At this point it's too expensive and rigid. With the rapidly changing mobility market, I, too, don't think it's a wise investment. BRT is the best to shoot for.

I've always wanted clearer signage [[and clearer route maps) from both SMART and DDOT [[the FAST Gratiot routing to WSU comes to mind). I haven't noticed the missing signs at 11 & Woodward, but you do know the actual FAST stop is an 1/8 mile south of 11 Mile just south of Hendrie, no? If you've been looking for it at the first SMART stop north of 11, you'll never find it.

http://www.rtamichigan.org/wp-conten...ortunities.pdf
    What has changed in the mobility market? Bird, Lime, and Spin scooters. E-bikes?

This decade many cities have built rapid rail transit lines - from Minneapolis to Los Angeles to Dallas to Miami to Denver. PHOENIX, YES PHOENIX, just voted to approve a light rail expansion. If these places can build it, why can't we?

And so it begins..

Empty bus’s running through the suburbs are like a cancer eating away at our tax dollars. That money should go to fixing the dam roads!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    What has changed in the mobility market? Bird, Lime, and Spin scooters. E-bikes?

This decade many cities have built rapid rail transit lines - from Minneapolis to Los Angeles to Dallas to Miami to Denver. PHOENIX, YES PHOENIX, just voted to approve a light rail expansion. If these places can build it, why can't we?
    I would love to see Metro Detroit build out a comprehensive rail system, but I think there isn't enough political will or business/consumer buy-in to ever get it funded. But I would absolutely love to be wrong on this.

All those cities above have had rail for well over a decade. Besides them all having the political capital and business/consumer buy-in that we lack, LA and Phoenix have awful pollution that adds to rail's salability;Miami, LA, Denver and Dallas have severe traffic congestion that adds to rail's salability; and Minneapolis and Denver are just more progressive than Detroit is [[and not tied to the legacy of the auto industry).

In addition to those new mobility options you've listed, add Uber, Lyft, ZipCar, etc. The mobility industry is evolving rapidly. Adding completely autonomous vehicles in the next 10 years will bring both unknown consequences and benefits. But their route flexibility and customization will better suit Metro Detroit's already ingrained commuting patterns and preferences.

Unless the Qline will be extended further north to 8mile we should focus on having rapid Express busses with designated lanes and traffic lights. Its more cost efficient

And so it begins..
    Sometimes, folks just want to play the oldies channel.

I've started taking the FAST bus from downtown to Royal Oak [[it continues to Pontiac and another to Twelve Oaks). I love it. Free wifi. There is an electronic sign and an audio announcement telling the next stop, just like the subways I've used in other cities. And the bus fills up, at least when I go in the morning and late PM. Not sure what Bradley is talking about, there are signs and nice bus stops at 11 Mile and Woodward [[on Woodward just south of 11 Mile both NB and SB). Light rail would be great, but buses like these are almost as good and can be implemented immediately and at much lower cost.

The good old days!!!!

Name:  Davison.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  79.7 KB