Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post
Jason's claim is accurate: as per the USNews report:

Fall 2018 MSU Acceptance rate: 78%
Fall 2018 WSU Acceptance rate: 72%
Fall 2018 EMU Acceptance rate: 76%

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/

By comparison, UM-Ann Arbor had a Fall 2018 acceptance rate of 23%. We can all agree that UM is more selective, but the other three are most definitely in the same tier in terms of selectivity.

I don't usually comment on this forum, but having worked for 10+ years in higher ed I wholeheartedly agree with Jason that you can actually go very far in life with a basic high school education and a useful degree from a school like WSU, EMU, or MSU. Given the relatively lower cost of these schools, and the excellent quality of the education you get access to, they will always represent better value for most kids.

What really separates kids in my experience is work ethic, motivation, and ambition, and that's not something that we can teach in class. So I would worry about teaching these values to my kids, rather than poring over metrics and arbitrary perceptions of what makes a school 'good'.
I also have experience with secondary schools and if you really believe that MSU is comparable to EMU/WSU, or that it’s easier to get into MSU than EMU/WSU, then you’re completely out of your element.

The average high school student with “a basic high school education” simply isn’t going to get into MSU.