Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Orange Glow in Sky

Two nights ago there was an orange glow in the sky that stayed there all night and into the morning hours. It was to the south-east when viewed from Roseville, Eastpointe and Metro Beach [[as I still call it). I do not know if it was there last night. Does anyone know what caused it or might have caused it?

Name:  burnoff.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  35.1 KBName:  burn.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  45.7 KB

Pollution!!

So over Lake St. Clair?

This was a city in Canada [[maybe Tilbury?)on the other side of the lake reflecting off the cloud cover. I took a few pics because it was crazy/cool looking. This was Friday looking out at the lake near Crocker and Jefferson. Lasted from sunset into the night. Can't say I've seen that in all my years. Name:  night sky.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  16.9 KB
    The red lights are shipping channel/windmills.
    Last edited by One Shot; October-08-19 at 03:51 PM.

At sunset with exposure up. Name:  light sky.jpg
Views: 2446
Size:  50.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DanInRoseville View Post
    ... It was to the south-east when viewed from Roseville, Eastpointe and Metro Beach....
    If we had the exact heading or azimuth from each of these places, triangulation should show the exact location. That would be a neat trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    If we had the exact heading or azimuth from each of these places, triangulation should show the exact location. That would be a neat trick.
    Intersection: The process of using two or more known points to find an unknown point.

That just triggered my disgruntled Army veteran brain.

I have seen that glowing while driving on Highway 401 in SW Ontario. It's from greenhouses [[primarily around Leamington). Here is an article with some photos...scroll down to see the yellow/orange one.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...lows-1.4924468

Last edited by Embee; October-09-19 at 10:09 AM. Reason: remove wrong url

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Intersection: The process of using two or more known points to find an unknown point.

That just triggered my disgruntled Army veteran brain.
    Intersection and resection. Lost arts in this day of GPS. Not sure if the modern soldier understands a map or what contour line spacing means. Six semester hours of surveying, two semester hours of mapping, four semester hours of route survey and design, Mapping in ROTC, mapping in ROTC summer camp, and twenty-eight years in the field before GPS was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Intersection and resection. Lost arts in this day of GPS. Not sure if the modern soldier understands a map or what contour line spacing means. Six semester hours of surveying, two semester hours of mapping, four semester hours of route survey and design, Mapping in ROTC, mapping in ROTC summer camp, and twenty-eight years in the field before GPS was invented.
    I can tell you that Soldiers today are still well versed in map reading, plotting and movement by map. Before I left at the end of 2017, I had spent the last several months running a land-nav course in Germany. While units integrate GPS technologies, there is plenty of old world map+pencil+red light going on.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    The red lights are shipping channel/windmills.
    As an aside, if you go over the Zilwaukee bridge at night going southbound, you can look north and see the giant channel markers they use for the Saginaw River flashing. It's a pretty amazing sight - they almost look like airport runway beacons but much taller. I'm assuming they are for freighter navigation.

Get ready for more orange in the sky. Hunter's Moon the night of the 13th.

https://www.newsweek.com/october-ful...ht-sky-1463642