Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit-set CBS Sitcom 'Bob Hearts Abishola' Premiers Tonight

Spotted in Sunday's Free Press. I've heard nothing of this or its production. A Fraser actor is also in the cast. I am going to DVR it. Anybody know anything about it?

Well, they've got the Michigan accent right. CBS's “Bob Hearts Abishola,” which premieres at 8:30 p.m. Monday, is the latest half-hour sitcom with a story line based in the Motor City.

The premise for the comedy - the latest from sitcom king Chuck Lorre of “The Big Bang Theory” and “Two And a Half Men” - is a very 2019 take on the familiar theme of an unlikely couple with more in common than you'd think.

Bob [[“Mike & Molly” star Billy Gardell), who is white, is a hard-working compression socks businessman with a sometimes difficult family. Abishola [[actress Folake Olowofoyeku, who's originally from Nigeria), who is black, is a hard-working cardiac nurse with a sometimes difficult family.

The laughs come from their tentative romance across cultural lines.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/?pub...c1f355_13410ee

It looks terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    It looks terrible.
    I saw that Freep article and I watched a clip of it out of curiosity. It did look painfully unfunny.

Saw the preview where they're sitting on a bus and he asks her where she's from. She says Nigeria and he says that's a long commute. HA! HA!
    I laughed and laughed.

We’ll see what happens. I hope the show does well, but I hope it does not lean into the previous Chuck Lorre-affiliated shows’ tendencies for really misanthropic humor. Watching various episodes of Two and A Half Men, Two Broke Girls and Big Bang Theory, a lot of the jokes and situations seem heavily dependent on egregiously eccentric/narcissistic/sexist, etc. people whose statements and behaviors go well beyond whatever archetype was represented by, say, Archie Bunker or Fred Sanford in the 1970s. It’s like the writers’ room is challenged to continuously come up with asinine things for people to say and do and we’re supposed to chuckle at it as part of their ‘charm’. With the understanding that all of this is make believe, it’s difficult for me to enjoy a show where nearly everyone is someone who I couldn’t stand to be around in real life. I just don’t relate.
    For this show in particular, since it ostensibly uplifts an immigrant cohort that historically has "never" been given focus in television [[or film?) there's a risk of being severely damaging, depending on how the portrayals are facilitated.

CBS = Critically Boring Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    With the understanding that all of this is make believe, it’s difficult for me to enjoy a show where nearly everyone is someone who I couldn’t stand to be around in real life. I just don’t relate.
    I was reading your comments with a great deal of puzzlement... until I got to your above statements.

I personally thing TBBT is one of the funniest shows of all time... exactly because of the nerdy characters. But you seem to have as much of a sense of humor as character Sheldon Cooper....

Lighten up.... glad the glass is half full for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    We’ll see what happens. I hope the show does well, but I hope it does not lean into the previous Chuck Lorre-affiliated shows’ tendencies for really misanthropic humor. Watching various episodes of Two and A Half Men, Two Broke Girls and Big Bang Theory, a lot of the jokes and situations seem heavily dependent on egregiously eccentric/narcissistic/sexist, etc. people whose statements and behaviors go well beyond whatever archetype was represented by, say, Archie Bunker or Fred Sanford in the 1970s. It’s like the writers’ room is challenged to continuously come up with asinine things for people to say and do and we’re supposed to chuckle at it as part of their ‘charm’. With the understanding that all of this is make believe, it’s difficult for me to enjoy a show where nearly everyone is someone who I couldn’t stand to be around in real life. I just don’t relate.
    For this show in particular, since it ostensibly uplifts an immigrant cohort that historically has "never" been given focus in television [[or film?) there's a risk of being severely damaging, depending on how the portrayals are facilitated.
    I don't mind misanthropic humor, I hate humor that makes me misanthropic......*2 Broke girls*

Not interested! Comedy TV went down the tubes since reality shows and instant pop up game shows came on.

It's nice that Chuck Lorre was thinking about Detroit, but holy cow this show looks terrible.

People still watch TV?

I turned mine off about six years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    People still watch TV?

We know

She says,but mom he is white

Mother says,at your age you cannot be to picky.

Pluto TV has been airing the commercial every 3 seconds it seems,pretty cool about it being set in Detroit and the rest of the back story.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    People still watch TV?

So what replaced it?

Was indifferent to the show, liked it was set in the city.

Until I found out it was using Africans to shit on ADOS.

Hollywood stay thinking it's slick.