Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Group calling for parking reform in Detroit

Group calling for parking reform to take over parking spots in Detroit

DETROIT [[WXYZ) — One group in Detroit says they are fed up seeing the development of new parking in the city.
    Detroiters For Parking Reform say parking is taking over Detroit instead of helping economic development. The group will be taking over parking spots in Cadillac Square Monday, calling on Mayor Mike Duggan to put an end to surface parking lots, especially for commercial use, they say.

The group says the development of parking is limiting developers from creating more space for housing and businesses. Additionally, they say it is threatening historic buildings with demolition to create parking.
    https://www.wxyz.com/news/group-call...ots-in-detroit

This issue really deserves attention and a group like this is long overdue. Here's the Detroiters for Parking Reform facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ReformDetroitParking

At least 20 years late...

I wasn't aware that there was any shortage of land in Detroit. Who is looking to build a magnificent building that can't find land? I would imagine that any one of those parking lots is available to buy for the right price.

^ No not when people like the Ilitch family and other slumlords horde and speculate property for little to no consequence. The land needs to be taxed for what it's worth and right now it's not. Better yet Olympia needs to be barred from all future purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I wasn't aware that there was any shortage of land in Detroit. Who is looking to build a magnificent building that can't find land? I would imagine that any one of those parking lots is available to buy for the right price.
    I guess that depends on what you think the right price is, but we know that they aren't available to buy in general. The Illitchs famously never sell anything, but like parking lots a lot. I think that if the city wants fewer surface lots, which it should, it should take steps to make that affection more costly, or at a minimum more lucrative for the city.
    Last edited by mwilbert; September-22-19 at 11:42 AM.

I like this idea. A citizen movement to reduce surface parking lots is just what the downtown area needs.

I seriously doubt there is a single square inch of unaccounted property in downtown Detroit right now. But most of it is probably still devoted to surface parking lots.

The city has the right to tell private property owners what to do with their property. They have no problem telling developers downtown to create parking spaces. They have just as much right to tell property owners not to create parking spaces.
    Last edited by iheartthed; September-22-19 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I like this idea. A citizen movement to reduce surface parking lots is just what the downtown area needs.
    Would we protest by putting up buildings?

Yeah, but this isn't about the 139 square miles of land in the city of Detroit. This is aiming at the 1 square mile of downtown Detroit, the most valuable, sought-after real estate in the city.

imo there should be either no parking requirements, or light parking requirements.

If a developer doesn't think they need as much parking, then the city shouldn't force them.

If the banks lending to the developers also don't require as much parking, then the city shouldn't force them.