Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Amazon Places Order for 100K e-trucks from Rivian

We may not have won the HQ race but Amazon's Detroit presence continues to grow. Yesterday they announced the order of 100,000 electric delivery trucks from Plymouth-headquartered Rivian, a startup truck builder backed by Ford and Amazon. [Production, however, will be at a former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL]

Beyond the news of the Silverdome site plans, I have learned from a former employee of mine who has recently been hired, Amazon has quietly grown its tech hub in the 150 W. Jefferson Madden Building to over 500 employees. They are engaged in a wide range of activities from cloud computing to relations with the auto [or I guess I should now say 'mobility'] companies on the autonomous vehicle front.

Further proof that the entire "contest" for HQ2 was just a farce to create a false sense of competition between cities to see who would come back with the biggest incentive package.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Further proof that the entire "contest" for HQ2 was just a farce to create a false sense of competition between cities to see who would come back with the biggest incentive package.
    This thread isn't about HQ2.

That being said, this investment will have much more of a positive impact than 1,500 low wage warehouse jobs.

Are the jobs low wage? Wasn't sure if that was mentioned before lol

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Are the jobs low wage? Wasn't sure if that was mentioned before lol
    It had to be said that these jobs are *LOW WAGE!!!* a little louder for the people in the back.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-20-19 at 12:33 PM.

I don't trust Bezos to any degree at all.

What at first appeared to be a positive partnership between Amazon and Rivian to deliver thousands of electric delivery vans is apparently no longer as advantageous.
    According to unnamed sources talking to The Wall Street Journal, the truck-maker is looking to end a deal struck in 2019 — one that called for delivery of 100,000 vans to Amazon by 2030.

But Amazon, Rivian’s largest shareholder, has since significantly altered its orders, informing Rivian it wanted to buy only about 10,000 vehicles this year.

By dropping out of the original exclusivity agreement with Amazon, Rivian may be seeking to expand sales to other customers. Last week, Rivian announced plans to raise $1.3 billion via a sale of convertible notes to help fund development and launch of its R2, a small platform to form the base of a new SUV and pickup truck.

Same thing we saw with Ford ,announcements of big players joining in,which drove the stock value through the roof,a couple of years later,they cash out and pull out with some nice tidy profits in hand.

It’s like the Dot Com and solar industry,they just changed the name to EVs all bubbles pop in the game of pump and dump.

How Rivian went from Wall Street darling to another struggling EV startup

https://www.businessinsider.com/rivi...-r1t-r1s2023-2
    Last edited by Richard; March-14-23 at 01:57 AM.

It might be of high quality, but all I know is that is one ugly vehicle. [[IMO)

Just FYI, Rivian is no longer headquartered in Michigan. They relocated the HQ to Irvine, CA...

https://rivian.com/support/article/w...r-headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It might be of high quality, but all I know is that is one ugly vehicle. [[IMO)
    My Neice's FIL received one after a two year wait. I have been seeing a couple around here and there. They don't do much for me either.

I think they are ugly as hell,they are touted as a vehicle for off road people,camping and such,so limited market.

I would hate to be out in the middle of nowhere,no charging station,no cell service,dead battery.

In the link in the video they are saying the difference between Rivian and Tesla is,Tesla is not a car company,it is a technology company that produces EVs where as Rivian is trying to be a car company no different the the big 2.5.

If you really think about it,the actual car is secondary.

I wonder if Fords input at the beginning had something to do with that.

It was mentioned that Rivian is no longer in Michigan so has no relevance,it does though because you are putting all of your cards in one basket,again on something that is being proven to evolve and change like the wind.

Once again though,I find it interesting that they have the public convinced that EVs are the only way to power vehicles for the next 10 years,10 years from now,after spending trillions today,everything EV as we know it today will be obsolete.

Then it will be trillions more will be needed for that flavor of the day.

Sense it is not illegal to ride a horse on public streets,I think I am going to start identifying as an Amish and get me a simple horse and buggy,y’all can sort it out,I will be kind and wave as I trot on by when y’all are sitting for hours at some charging station while you are saving the planet.
    Last edited by Richard; March-17-23 at 01:34 PM.