City Club Apartment Construction in Detroit
UPBEAT DETROIT PICTURES - WHY NOT? »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »

Default Amazon Places Order for 100K e-trucks from Rivian

We may not have won the HQ race but Amazon's Detroit presence continues to grow. Yesterday they announced the order of 100,000 electric delivery trucks from Plymouth-headquartered Rivian, a startup truck builder backed by Ford and Amazon. [Production, however, will be at a former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL]

Beyond the news of the Silverdome site plans, I have learned from a former employee of mine who has recently been hired, Amazon has quietly grown its tech hub in the 150 W. Jefferson Madden Building to over 500 employees. They are engaged in a wide range of activities from cloud computing to relations with the auto [or I guess I should now say 'mobility'] companies on the autonomous vehicle front.

Further proof that the entire "contest" for HQ2 was just a farce to create a false sense of competition between cities to see who would come back with the biggest incentive package.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Further proof that the entire "contest" for HQ2 was just a farce to create a false sense of competition between cities to see who would come back with the biggest incentive package.
    This thread isn't about HQ2.

That being said, this investment will have much more of a positive impact than 1,500 low wage warehouse jobs.

Are the jobs low wage? Wasn't sure if that was mentioned before lol

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Are the jobs low wage? Wasn't sure if that was mentioned before lol
    It had to be said that these jobs are *LOW WAGE!!!* a little louder for the people in the back.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-20-19 at 12:33 PM.

I don't trust Bezos to any degree at all.