Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Is public school safety in Oakland County FAKE NEWS ?

http://detroitfunk.com/school-safety-is-fake-news/

It is fake as all get-out at my kids school, what the hell is going on ? What is security like at everybody else's schools ?

Not sure we can base an entire county's security measures on an open door in a single school, but who's to say really.

Right after 9-11, security was upgraded in the L'Anse Creuse district. Locked doors and additional cameras, inside and out. Have to be buzzed in and then enter an additional set of doors. Doors are locked through out the day. As far back as I can remember, the high schools always had deputy liaisons. They consistently have drills and the high schools had a "mock active assailant" training exercise right before school started.
    Last edited by Maof; September-19-19 at 01:39 PM.

My kid's public elementary has no unlocked doors after the morning bell. One has to pass through 3 sets of locked doors [[no visibility on outer most door). A nametag with a photo and finger print scan is necessary before passage through the 3rd door. Background checks are mandatory to be classroom aide/chaperone. Shit has gotten intense since I was a kid.

When you think of a vulnerable population with several ways to get in, think about hospitals. Their security protocols are absolutely atrocious.

Security inside schools has been signifgantly increasing since the Columbine shootings, then again after 911, and then even more after Sandy Hook and Stoneman Douglas.

Even with all those changes and money spent, the cold hard truth is that it's mostly just for show. Every school day afternoon the doors open up and millions of students pile outside of every school in America. The locks, reinforced doors, security cameras and more mean just about nothing when everyone is a sitting duck the second they walk outside.

People that use Donny-isms ain't all that bright to begin with.

I take it many of you are young'ns? You don't remember doors being chained and locked in DPS in the 60s and 70s? You don't remember armed officers assigned to the schools and heavy uniformed presences outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

I take it many of you are young'ns? You don't remember doors being chained and locked in DPS in the 60s and 70s? You don't remember armed officers assigned to the schools and heavy uniformed presences outside?

Yep and how every suburbanite looked at that as those violent, ghetto schools that have to chain their kids inside schools like animals?

Now north of 8 mile they are spending millions on school security...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Security inside schools has been signifgantly increasing since the Columbine shootings, then again after 911, and then even more after Sandy Hook and Stoneman Douglas.

Even with all those changes and money spent, the cold hard truth is that it's mostly just for show. Every school day afternoon the doors open up and millions of students pile outside of every school in America. The locks, reinforced doors, security cameras and more mean just about nothing when everyone is a sitting duck the second they walk outside.
    Exactly. Kids are outside in school yards, playgrounds, at bus stops and hundreds of other places. It's as stupid as having thousands of sports fans crowded outside a stadium while they wait to go through metal detectors. Ducks in a barrel if you so desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

I know for a fact DPS weren't locked in the 50's & 60's. My mother had a habit of sneaking in the school to see if I was wearing the same clothes I left home wearing and how much make-up I had on. She had no problem embarrassing me in front of all my classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    I know for a fact DPS weren't locked in the 50's & 60's. My mother had a habit of sneaking in the school to see if I was wearing the same clothes I left home wearing and how much make-up I had on. She had no problem embarrassing me in front of all my classmates.
    lol that's funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    lol that's funny....
    It's funny now. Not so much then..lol

Now sometimes the mothers are in heavy competition with daughters to see who can be most outrageous in attire......

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    My mother had a habit of sneaking in the school to see if I was wearing the same clothes I left home wearing and how much make-up I had on...