Joe Louis Arena Demolition
JOE LOUIS ARENA DEMOLITION »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64
  1. #1

    Default GM's UAW Workers to Go on Strike

    I look forward to seeing General Motors suffer.

    Stay strong UAW!!!

    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...in/2329491001/

    "The United Auto Workers says it will strike General Motors Co. plants Sunday night after the two sides failed to reach an agreement.
    "We are standing up for fair wages, affordable health care... we are standing up for job security for our members and their families," Terry Dittes, director of the UAW GM department, said after the UAW-GM council ended a 10 a.m. Sunday meeting to decide the next course of action."

  2. #2

    Default

    Teamsters refusing to transport GM vehicles in solidarity with UAW

    https://www.foxbusiness.com/industri...arity-with-uaw

  3. #3

    Default

    They are saying that they want profit sharing,do that mean they will also except loss sharing?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They are saying that they want profit sharing,do that mean they will also except loss sharing?
    Do the salaried workers have "loss sharing"?

  5. #5

    Default

    Whether a strike is worth it or not depends on the value of what might be gained as a result of the strike versus what the strikers stand to lose in wages. It will take a lot to make up for a week's worth of lost wages.

  6. #6

    Default

    Solidarity forever,
    Solidarity forever,
    Solidarity forever,

    The Union marches on!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Do the salaried workers have "loss sharing"?
    Sure do. They lose their jobs.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They are saying that they want profit sharing,do that mean they will also except loss sharing?
    They already do share losses.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    They already do share losses.

    GM Posts $3.9 Billion Loss For 2017, UAW Employees Still Get $12K Profit-Sharing Checks

    https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/gm...haring-checks/

    It appears like they got paid,it does not read GMs 3.9 billion loss was divided up equally amongst the employees.

  10. #10

    Default


  11. #11

    Default

    The real question is will this distract the union rank and file from the ongoing bribery scandal? Hopefully it will do so quickly, I don't like seeing working folks being used as political pawns.

  12. #12

    Default

    GM has a high inventory and needs to unload it! A strike is a perfect time to sit back and relax as the workers and the media cry about what they want. As soon as the inventory is down to a tolerable level GM will sign a contract. Its interesting during the inventory reduction GM does not have to pay their workers. GM knows exactly what its doing!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    GM Posts $3.9 Billion Loss For 2017, UAW Employees Still Get $12K Profit-Sharing Checks

    https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/gm...haring-checks/

    It appears like they got paid,it does not read GMs 3.9 billion loss was divided up equally amongst the employees.
    The UAW bonuses were calculated based on EBIT (earnings before the bad stuff) of $12.8B. GM then took $13.5B in one-time charges against its earnings for tax changes and the sale of Opel/Vauxhall, which resulted in a net loss.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The real question is will this distract the union rank and file from the ongoing bribery scandal? Hopefully it will do so quickly, I don't like seeing working folks being used as political pawns.
    My thoughts exactly. Second I hear this, it was obviously a distraction to their scandal. How better to sweep scandal out of the public's mind than to go on strike.

  15. #15

    Default

    Have you all see this...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_dhUv_CrI

    That is what GM (formally Government Motors) think of Unions...

  16. #16

    Default

    I was driving to work on Van Dyke Road and there was a multi-mile backup of cars trying to get into the GM Tech Center in Warren. Groups of striking workers would slowly walk across the crosswalk restricting the ability of people to enter the GM Tech Center.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I was driving to work on Van Dyke Road and there was a multi-mile backup of cars trying to get into the GM Tech Center in Warren. Groups of striking workers would slowly walk across the crosswalk restricting the ability of people to enter the GM Tech Center.
    Good

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Good
    Yep, agreed.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    GM Posts $3.9 Billion Loss For 2017, UAW Employees Still Get $12K Profit-Sharing Checks

    https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/gm...haring-checks/

    It appears like they got paid,it does not read GMs 3.9 billion loss was divided up equally amongst the employees.
    That was due to a tax charge; it was not an operating loss.

    Employees pay for operating losses with their jobs.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That was due to a tax charge; it was not an operating loss.

    Employees pay for operating losses with their jobs.

    • Bankruptcy typically brings uncompetitive wages down to competitive levels. However, existing UAW members did not take pay cuts at General Motors.

    https://www.heritage.org/node/12308/print-display


    Do you think that link is a fair accessment?

    It would appear as though during the bankruptcy the UAW negotiations were centered around existing pay and contracts and the negotiations were about devalued future pay scales,they got over that bump and fast forward it seems like the negotiations are about reclaiming the past wage concessions for those that were hired after the bankruptcy.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    • Bankruptcy typically brings uncompetitive wages down to competitive levels. However, existing UAW members did not take pay cuts at General Motors.

    https://www.heritage.org/node/12308/print-display


    Do you think that link is a fair accessment?

    It would appear as though during the bankruptcy the UAW negotiations were centered around existing pay and contracts and the negotiations were about devalued future pay scales,they got over that bump and fast forward it seems like the negotiations are about reclaiming the past wage concessions for those that were hired after the bankruptcy.
    That is a red herring. I am fairly comfortable asserting that no GM employee, at any level, took a cut to their base compensation rate during the bankruptcy. Lots of them, both salary and hourly, did lose their jobs. And, the post-bankruptcy pay scale was adjusted.

  22. #22

    Default

    I've seen a few interviews on tv with workers since yesterday and their lack of knowledge about what specifically the strike issues are is pretty apparent. Shouldn't the union leadership clearly communicate the major talking points to it's membership, both because they should know, and to communicate a clear message to both GM and the public?

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    GM has a high inventory and needs to unload it! A strike is a perfect time to sit back and relax as the workers and the media cry about what they want. As soon as the inventory is down to a tolerable level GM will sign a contract. Its interesting during the inventory reduction GM does not have to pay their workers. GM knows exactly what its doing!
    The strike is going to cost GM at least $100 million per day. If this goes on beyond a week, they'll be $1 Billion in the hole abd counting.

    I'd love to see Machete Mary explain that one to shareholders.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'd love to see Machete Mary explain that one to shareholders.
    Assuming they get a deal they're happy with, she'll explain it that it'll benefit the long term health and profitability of the company.

  25. #25

    Default

    GM: VP Barra... " F_____ Socialists!!!"

    UAW: "You have the plant, but We have the power."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.