Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    If only they could have been more creative and used vanity call letters for Public Service radio instead of KQA-414 and KQA-205.
    In the real early days of Police radio Detroit Police had "KOP"

The post about the police reminded me another station of the past, the CONELRAD channel. CONELRAD [[Control of Electromagnetic Radiation) was an emergency channel to be used in event of an enemy nuclear attack during the Cold War and would provide civil defense information. It would transmit on either 640 or 1240 AM but was replaced by the Emergency Broadcast System on August 5, 1963. By law, all radios between 1953 and 1963 had these two frequencies marked by the triangle-in-circle CD Mark. Hey, growing up during the Cold War was a wild time, you young guys missed all the fun!

Name:  conalrad [[2).jpg
Views: 755
Size:  78.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    ... another station of the past, the CONELRAD channel. CONELRAD [[Control of Electromagnetic Radiation) was an emergency channel to be used in event of an enemy nuclear attack during the Cold War ...
    I remember that!

When they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I answered "computer programmer!" They said "You can't do that. There aren't enough jobs in that field." When I persisted they said "Well then, you'll have to work in the military, a university or in banking or insurance because they're the only ones who can afford a computer."

And yes, I can operate a slide rule. LOL!

While working at WGPR during the late 80's, our inside joke was that WGPR stood for We Get Payola Regularly. Also We've Got Pathetic Ratings. Fun days...

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    ...WCBS = Columbia Broadcasting Service...
    CBS originally stood for the Columbia Broadcasting System, not Service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2