Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Refurbished Detroit Bars

Forgive me if this post or any of the content has been posted before: But what is the word on Alvin's, the old 2500 Club, 3rd Street Saloon and the building that is connected to the Cass Cafe. In the last several months I have seen activity at each of these bars, any news on when they will open and if they will serve as bars again?

-Cheers

There's been some remodeling activity at Alvin's recently. A few times I've seen the front completely open and carpenters working inside.

Cass Cafe is between the Islamic Center and a residential rehab. Are you referring to the Twingo's location a block away, next to the dry cleaners? It has been discussed in this thread:
    http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=2248

The sign is up with the new name. Don’t think it has opened yet.

Anyone know the status on Baile Corcaigh, and Porter St. Station.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    There's been some remodeling activity at Alvin's recently. A few times I've seen the front completely open and carpenters working inside.

Cass Cafe is between the Islamic Center and a residential rehab. Are you referring to the Twingo's location a block away, next to the dry cleaners? It has been discussed in this thread:
    http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=2248

The sign is up with the new name. Don’t think it has opened yet.
    No I am talking about the two story building directly connected to the Cass Cafe on the University Tower side that is fenced in.

Has Alvin's been closed for a while?

Haven't been there in years. I didn't even want to go there, but the Shelter [[basement of St. Andrew's Hall) stopped hosting good shows, they all moved to Alvin's.

BTW, what the heck happened to the Shelter? Is it still a venue?

So, Alvin's is being refurbished.
    Does anyone remember "church" at Alvin's, sitting near the stove and reading the newspaper or a book?
    Haven't been there in years...

baile corcaigh can be yours for $345,000:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.century21town-country.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=30726623&PRM_MlsName=SouthEasternMI&VAR_AgentCode=&VAR_OfficeCode=
    porter street station is still in litigation from numerous mismanagement and after-hours activities. there was a freep article in the spring about it.

when third street saloon closed down, rumor on the street was that the entire block was to be levelled for some kind of parking garage. that was a while ago tho. the old hardwood bar was removed from the space and resides ina house in arden park now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    BTW, what the heck happened to the Shelter? Is it still a venue?
    Nevermind, I answered my own question. In case anyone cares; yes, they are still having shows.

The one that I wish would reopen is the Arcade Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    No I am talking about the two story building directly connected to the Cass Cafe on the University Tower side that is fenced in.
    When I passed by tonight, it was three stories, and the fence has been removed. Pretty sure that the fence was there a few days ago.

The house next to the Bronx Bar has always intrigued me. It looks like the last of a bunch of early Victorian rowhouses, very rare nowadays. The detail on that thing is astounding.

For those of you interested, there's an auction in Fowlerville [[insert your own jokes) on Sat., Sept. 19 at 10:30 a.m. featuring "Extensive Cass Corridor Art & Memorabilia Collection" and "World's Largest Private Cass Corridor Collection ... Bradley Jones original paintings, sketches and photographs. Original sculptures by John Piet ... Hundreds of Never Before Seen Before original Cass Corridor Photographs, Alvin's Bar memorabilia including seating, tables, t-shirts & original flyers. Many original paintings from Cass Corridor artists."

The link below has a cool story about the Cass Corridor artists. It appears the majority of these items came from Alvin's Bar. I do not represent the auctioneer, not do I have an overwhelming interest in Cass Corridor art [[but I understand others seriously do) so if you want to read the story of this auction, including a phone contact for Michigan Auction Company, check out www.MichiganAuctionCompany.com.

Good luck to those who are going!