Restoration at Woodward and Baltimore in Detroit
ATWATER PARK COMING ONLINE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default $21 million development with apartments, parking garage, retail planned on Jefferson

Same owner as Leeland Hotel and majority owner of Broderick Tower

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/econom...-polluted-site
    Last edited by JonWylie; September-09-19 at 04:38 PM.

Ahhh, former (?) notorious slumlord Mike Higgins. Still working it after his big Broderick save.

This corner definitely should be in better shape than it is, and that old house should be saved. Not sure if Mike is the man to do it, but he seems to be fishing for investor $$$ in the hopes it can turn out as well as Broderick did. I see that the scenic local liquor store there and Belle Isle Pizza are left out of the redevelopment plans.

Michael Higgins used to get quite a beating from posters on DetroitYES in the past. But in the long haul, I believe that he saved some of the buildings from possible demolition. Granted he sat on them for many years before he was able to do anything with them (the market was not right), but I think that he has shown that he is NOT a slumlord.

He sold the Farwell Building to the state for redevelopment, but was eventually able to find investors to help develop the Broderick Tower and Leland House... two important parts of Detroit's skyline.

I wish him well.