Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default $21 million development with apartments, parking garage, retail planned on Jefferson

Same owner as Leeland Hotel and majority owner of Broderick Tower

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/econom...-polluted-site
    Last edited by JonWylie; September-09-19 at 04:38 PM.

Ahhh, former [[?) notorious slumlord Mike Higgins. Still working it after his big Broderick save.

This corner definitely should be in better shape than it is, and that old house should be saved. Not sure if Mike is the man to do it, but he seems to be fishing for investor $$$ in the hopes it can turn out as well as Broderick did. I see that the scenic local liquor store there and Belle Isle Pizza are left out of the redevelopment plans.

Michael Higgins used to get quite a beating from posters on DetroitYES in the past. But in the long haul, I believe that he saved some of the buildings from possible demolition. Granted he sat on them for many years before he was able to do anything with them [[the market was not right), but I think that he has shown that he is NOT a slumlord.

He sold the Farwell Building to the state for redevelopment, but was eventually able to find investors to help develop the Broderick Tower and Leland House... two important parts of Detroit's skyline.

I wish him well.

That corner is a very prominent gateway entrance to West Village. It’s about time that a substantial development takes place there. I recall a proposal from several years ago that never came to be; fingers crossed for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think that he has shown that he is NOT a slumlord.
    Easy to say if you never lived in one of his crappy apartment buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    He sold the Farwell Building to the state for redevelopment
    At a very tidy profit, after he allowed it to be stripped and fall into dangerous disrepair, and after not paying the property taxes on it for several years.

Follow the money. Who's palms were greased to make this happen. Does the mansion goes to?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Follow the money. Who's palms were greased to make this happen. Does the mansion goes to?
    Six apartments are planned for the mansion, so it would be saved.

I like the guy as a person, but you can't mistake the fact he's left the Van Dyke Mansion to continue its decline. This despite the beauty of the place and recent turnaround in Detroit real estate.

West Village association probably had a big hand in giving or the sole of this land to Higgins and I also could see a Sheffield being in this possibly. What had happened to the development that was going to be on the former Big Boy's site? A few businesses were discouraged from opening in West Village including Poppies market and Metropolis bike shop. Higgins probably razed the building on the corner but an empty lot will remain for the next few years. What ever had happened to the Meijer affiliate store that was to open s mile south of West Village? Another empty plan

West Village association probably had a big hand in giving or the sole of this land to Higgins and I also could see a Sheffield being in this possibly. What had happened to the development that was going to be on the former Big Boy's site? A few businesses were discouraged from opening in West Village including Poppies market and Metropolis bike shop. Higgins probably razed the building on the corner but an empty lot will remain for the next few years. What ever had happened to the Meijer affiliate store that was to open s mile south of West Village? Another empty plan
    The Big Boys is owned by The Platform and considering how many properties they're currently working I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anything for a year or 2. As for the Meijer site, that was supposed to be with of Lafayette Park and I believe Dennis Archer Jr was involved and that guy hasn't fulfilled a damn promise yet including the one downtown

How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    How do you know this?
    Know what?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    How do you know this?
    The all powerful ‘West Village Association’ says everything. Ever since they succeeded in getting the trash picked up they are drunk with power. Rumor has it their next diabolical plan is to get the police to patrol by occasionally. C’mon Masterblaster get with the conspiracy program!

I had spoken to once potential retailers who would had been a good fit for the area but countries of to.es were given the city's red tape treatment until they had gotten discouraged and had given up or were denied the space promised to them. These prime properties outside of the downtown midtown are given to these retread developers who just sit on the properties

When I say Sheffield I wasn't referring about the council woman

The final piece of funding is now in place for this project.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/econom...ets-49-million

Construction is expected to begin in the next three months and be completed 18 months after that, Higgins said.
    "This was the last piece of our financing to be approved," Higgins said.

Seems like a poor decision to have the entrance come off Jefferson. I feel like its going to be hard to get in and out of there via car.

This was covered on Curbed today as well.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2020/1/27...ke-development

I really hope this development is successful. I would love to see East Jefferson take off and become the spine of successful new developments from the river north to Lafayette from downtown to The Villages. There are already quality enclaves there with supporting retail and recreational infrastructure. Some well thought out infill developments could really solidify that as Detroit's number 2 spur behind Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I really hope this development is successful. I would love to see East Jefferson take off and become the spine of successful new developments from the river north to Lafayette from downtown to The Villages. There are already quality enclaves there with supporting retail and recreational infrastructure. Some well thought out infill developments could really solidify that as Detroit's number 2 spur behind Woodward.
    Hopefully as development grows down Jefferson, the City has the forethought to reserve some space on the river for the public. If the armory or UAW training ever come on line, hopefully there's a consideration for public space.

There are so many suburban-style, parking lot-fronted retail developments along Jefferson, hopefully this project will change the course of the development along that corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Hopefully as development grows down Jefferson, the City has the forethought to reserve some space on the river for the public. If the armory or UAW training ever come on line, hopefully there's a consideration for public space.
    You mean like the East Riverfront Framework Plan?
    https://detroitmi.gov/departments/pl...ast-riverfront

Honestly, there's already a healthy amount of public space along the riverfront. Some of it, such as Brush-Ford and Angel Park, among others, are under-utilized. The framework plan is more about tieing these areas together and providing for complete streets and easier access.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    You mean like the East Riverfront Framework Plan?
    https://detroitmi.gov/departments/pl...ast-riverfront

Honestly, there's already a healthy amount of public space along the riverfront. Some of it, such as Brush-Ford and Angel Park, among others, are under-utilized. The framework plan is more about tieing these areas together and providing for complete streets and easier access.
    Yeah pretty much, thanks for the link