Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For those of you interested, I just posted 100+ photos of renovations and new construction across the city on this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...02019&page=290

The thread in general contains hundreds of pages of real estate developments covering over a decade. Lots to be excited about in the city nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    As a transplanted Detroiter now living in Florida, we make a trip home at least once a year. This time it was Labor Day weekend. Detroit continues to amaze and impress me. And the Tigers won! Damn! Here's a picture we took from the Monarch Club:
    Great photo from the Monarch Club! I have to get up there...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  147.2 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  123.8 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  216.5 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  203.6 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  117.2 KB

The guardian Building once had a major bank inside it.

I have a $20 bill printed in 1929 from the Guardian National Bank of Detroit.

Anyway,. it's the bank that started the Great Depression. It supposedly held the reserves of 300 smaller banks,.. and when it fell, it took them with it.

Name:  Detroit bill.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  68.6 KB
    Last edited by Bigdd; September-28-19 at 11:27 PM.

Great pics from everyone, thanks, as a long time Detroit resident it makes one feel so good to see the city turning around the way it is, we’ve come along way, And have a long way to go still but I really think we are finally on the right track together.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Inn on Ferry Street Addition and Restoration progresses.
    This Ferry Street house was sold by Midtown Detroit to Nancy Tellem who "intends to transform the 1887 Queen Anne home into a business accelerator and co-working space for local creatives and media-focused entrepreneurs" [[Crain's Detroit).

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices...forms-historic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    The guardian Building once had a major bank inside it.

I have a $20 bill printed in 1929 from the Guardian National Bank of Detroit.

Anyway,. it's the bank that started the Great Depression. It supposedly held the reserves of 300 smaller banks,.. and when it fell, it took them with it.

Name:  Detroit bill.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  68.6 KB
    Nice image of local national bank currency.

The Union National Trust Bank is the bank that built the Guardian Building, and there were several banking mergers that took place in the late 1920s that produced the Guardian National Bank of Detroit.

Saying that this bank started the Great Depression... not sure I would agree with that. It started on Wall Street. The panic on Wall Street caused many banks nationwide to go under, which precipitated the Great Depression.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-29-19 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Saying that this bank started the Great Depression... not sure I would agree with that. It started on Wall Street. The panic on Wall Street caused many banks nationwide to go under, which precipitated the Great Depression.
    The rumored failure of Guardian [[and First National Bank of Detroit) led to the wave of bank holidays first in Michigan and then 36 other states in February and March 1933. Eventually, the new Roosevelt administration declared a federal bank holiday before reopening in late March. Guardian and First National were forced to merge to form National Bank of Detroit.

This was three years into the Depression, and things had slowed down a lot by then. Detroit may have had over 400,000 unemployed. The link has many more details.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2