Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: DMC at LCA

Default DMC at LCA

The Detroit Medical Center is building a Sports Medicine Institute next to Little Caesars Arena.

Good news in that the rendering has changed and is no longer a brick wall.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...strict-detroit

Name:  DMC.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  52.5 KB

All part of the Ilitches' 2 billion dollar commitment to "The District"

I'm still very skeptical of the commitment of residential to "The District" but I'd say this is a solid addition to Detroit in general.

The rendering is still a "concept". This means they still haven't hired an architecture firm to do actual design work. They're milking everything for as many press releases as they can.

Despite the many announcements regarding projects in "the district", lets take an actual look at what construction has actually occurred after the opening of LCA:

Wayne State Business School - This project is progressing as announced, and appears to be on track for completion this summer.

New Parking garage north of Eddystone - This garage is also progressing well, and appears like it will be open late summer/early fall.

Eddystone - From the outside, it sure doesn't look like much is happening. The building is hard to tell though, as you can't really get close to it because of street closures associated with two projects mentioned above. I wonder if at some point the city will actually drop the hammer on Olympia for failing to follow through on their Eddystone redevelopment project. Then I remember money talks.

The Proposed Development Wrapping around the main LCA parking garage [[aka Fail Jail #2A) - This one also has seen no progress since LCA opened. I am actually kind of surprised by it as well. Don't get me wrong, I normally don't believe any announcements regarding Olympia that don't involve parking, but given the eyesore this unfinished steel structure presents overlooking the LCA Chevy Plaza, I actually thought this one might happen.

The attached development to the garage between I-75 service drive and Henry Street [[aka Fail Jail #2B) - No progress since LCA opened. This one was originally announced as residential and then shifted more recently to offices. Much like the above, it creates an eyesore heading to the arena so I though that alone would get it finished. Given the visual similarities to the fail jail, I personally call this and the non-development above Fail Jail 2.

The proposed hotel/residential/commerical/fenced lot adjacent to Woodward between Henry and I-75 - Again, nothing. I wouldn't expect anything to happen here before the Fail Jail 2 properties above, but you wonder how long this site remains until it turns into a revenue producing landscaped surface lot.

Is this just the DMC's way of being competitive with the Pistons/Henry Ford Practice facility? Is there an actual need for both? As a Canadian, it's hard to get used to competitive healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The rendering is still a "concept". This means they still haven't hired an architecture firm to do actual design work. They're milking everything for as many press releases as they can.
    Thought your firm won this...

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Is this just the DMC's way of being competitive with the Pistons/Henry Ford Practice facility? Is there an actual need for both? As a Canadian, it's hard to get used to competitive healthcare.
    That’s a practice facility for the pistons. It will have a limited public component, if at all. I think the dmc facility is more a sports rehab clinic open to public, but I could be wrong. It’s mainly to showcase dmc parternship with red wings

The Pistons facility will also have a Plum Market and a Zingermann's.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Despite the many announcements regarding projects in "the district", lets take an actual look at what construction has actually occurred after the opening of LCA:

Wayne State Business School - This project is progressing as announced, and appears to be on track for completion this summer.

New Parking garage north of Eddystone - This garage is also progressing well, and appears like it will be open late summer/early fall.

Eddystone - From the outside, it sure doesn't look like much is happening. The building is hard to tell though, as you can't really get close to it because of street closures associated with two projects mentioned above. I wonder if at some point the city will actually drop the hammer on Olympia for failing to follow through on their Eddystone redevelopment project. Then I remember money talks.

The Proposed Development Wrapping around the main LCA parking garage [[aka Fail Jail #2A) - This one also has seen no progress since LCA opened. I am actually kind of surprised by it as well. Don't get me wrong, I normally don't believe any announcements regarding Olympia that don't involve parking, but given the eyesore this unfinished steel structure presents overlooking the LCA Chevy Plaza, I actually thought this one might happen.

The attached development to the garage between I-75 service drive and Henry Street [[aka Fail Jail #2B) - No progress since LCA opened. This one was originally announced as residential and then shifted more recently to offices. Much like the above, it creates an eyesore heading to the arena so I though that alone would get it finished. Given the visual similarities to the fail jail, I personally call this and the non-development above Fail Jail 2.

The proposed hotel/residential/commerical/fenced lot adjacent to Woodward between Henry and I-75 - Again, nothing. I wouldn't expect anything to happen here before the Fail Jail 2 properties above, but you wonder how long this site remains until it turns into a revenue producing landscaped surface lot.
    You forgot about the promised townhouses that were supposed to be in front of the Garage along Cass. Or the countless promises to rehab the Detroit Life Building or the UA or the Fine Arts Facade or development of the Madison Lenox lot or the American Hotel or...

Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  139.4 KB

Steel going up

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  139.4 KB

Steel going up
    I hope they're not using custom glass windows!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I hope they're not using custom glass windows!
    Yeah. The windows will be in the shape of ‘detroit style’ rectangular pizzas.