Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Upbeat Detroit Pictures

I come across so many upbeat and feel good Detroit images that I thought I would start a thread on just that. Please feel free to add yours pictures and/or your comments. I'll lead off with photos from around Labor Day 2019.

Diners at the San Morino outside the new Shinola Hotel on a once long-dead strip of Woodward Avenue.
    [Click the pictures if you wish to see them larger]

Inn on Ferry Street Addition and Restoration progresses.

Diners at Prime+Proper on a once dead corner of Capitol Park.

The gorgeously restored Stott soars above Capitol Park and beams in the late summer sun.

A full house at the the Detroit Institute of Arts Rivera Courts enjoy a free Friday night concert.

The formerly abandoned Free Press Building nears restoration completion.

City Club Apartments fill the footprint of the demolished Statler Hotel on Grand Circus Park. [Oh, and int the far background to the right the Book Tower nears restoration completion.]

And one for my passion--handball. The restored handball courts of Palmer Park glisten [and offer lessons if you're interested] thanks to volunteer efforts and donations of Detroit's handball community.

Your turn.

Superb architecture, Lowell. Thanks for the tour which bears witness to the renaissance of Detroit. Rock on!

I shot these pictures during my last visit to Detroit in 2017.

Name:  people mover1.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  78.5 KBName:  people mover 2.jpg
Views: 2714
Size:  138.0 KBName:  people mover3.jpg
Views: 2655
Size:  77.4 KB
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; September-08-19 at 10:57 AM.

Thank you for these excellent pictures.

Thanks for the pictures... I miss living in downtown Detroit, looks great!

Very nice but "upbeat Detroit pictures" and "drive by shooting" together in the same pictorial?

City Modern phase 1 TH’s with landscaping.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SammyS; September-08-19 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    City Modern phase 1 TH’s with landscaping.

I drove through there yesterday and was very suprised how well the townhomes vibe with the street. The landscaping is very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I drove through there yesterday and was very suprised how well the townhomes vibe with the street. The landscaping is very well done.
    the recessed trees between TH’s are a great touch.
    Last edited by SammyS; September-08-19 at 02:49 PM.

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing

Wow! Would love to hear more about those Palmer Park handball courts. I'm guessing built in the 1930s?

I received the Certificate of Occupancy and moved into my new Detroit house.Name:  IMG_0898SHRNK..jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  97.8 KB

Beautiful ndavies, and congrats!

Drove through downtown yesterday and its soo cool to see people walking around and the many different and VERY nice establishments. Detroit has come further in the last 5 years than it has in the last 50!

Now that's real Detroit on its third renaissance.

The recently [[2018) restored Fillmore [[State) Theatre auditorium...

The magnificent chandelier and ornate ceiling of the Fox Theatre...

The restored auditorium of the Detroit Opera House, nearly 25 years after restoration...
    Last edited by Gistok; September-09-19 at 02:39 PM.

There are some guys on YouTube who post videos of Detroit that are at the opposite sides of what I see above. Send someone out to kneecap them, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    I received the Certificate of Occupancy and moved into my new Detroit house.Name:  IMG_0898SHRNK..jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  97.8 KB

Hi ndavies, Can I ask what it ran? [[ballpark or a link is fine) Thanx.

Just under $400,000. I did spend about $50k on upgrades
    that most people wouldn't buy. Items
    such as increased insulation, increased longevity building materials and a very tall garage with beefed up structure.

I plan to retire in this house and wanted to minimize future maintenance. The only thing that should ever need painting in my lifetime is the trim around the doors.

such as increased insulation, increased longevity building materials and a very tall garage with beefed up structure.

I plan to retire in this house and wanted to minimize future maintenance. The only thing that should ever need painting in my lifetime is the trim around the doors.
    Just let us know when the house warming party is.

Money well spent on those kind of upgrades. Throw a PV array on the garage and some rain-harvest barrels at downspouts and you can almost be off the grid!

Thanx ndavies. "Most people wouldn't buy" but you're thinking ahead, and I agree with you. Let me what you'd like me to bring to the house warming party!

A great and upbeat Detroit story has been the Detroit City Chess Club and the source of and driving-force behind it, Kevin Fite. Started several years ago DCCC has spread chess clubs now into 45 Detroit pubic schools and resulted in regional and national championships. The DCCC plays most Friday's in the foyer of the John R entrance.

It is free and open to all. Having a life-long passion for the game and being a former tournament player, I am delighted to see this game, which trains the mind and teaches patience, being spread to the city and region's youth. If you see some old guy playing, and maybe getting his behind kicked, by some youngster, that just might be me.
    Name:  DCA1-1400.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  93.8 KB

Kevin Fite with DCCC board members Bridgette Motley [L] and Catherine Martinez.
    Name:  DCA2.jpg-1400.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  78.6 KB

Feature article in US Chess Federation Magazine praising the DCCC.
    Name:  DCA3-1400.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  170.6 KB

...And from Sunday's Free Press a nice article on Cass Tech freshman Charisse Woods, a DCCC product, who is now an international level player for her age.

Article from: Detroit Free Press - September 22, 2019

CHESS PRODIGY ENVISIONS HER NEXT MOVE
    Name:  Charisse-Woods-DCCC.png
Views: 1397
Size:  115.3 KB

As a transplanted Detroiter now living in Florida, we make a trip home at least once a year. This time it was Labor Day weekend. Detroit continues to amaze and impress me. And the Tigers won! Damn! Here's a picture we took from the Monarch Club:

Name:  20190830_203309.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  102.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast