Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Midtown Development Updates

Good amount of information in this new Freep article, including updates on the following:

1. Bonstelle Hotel
    2. The Mid
    3. SoMa
    4. Movie Theater
    5. Orchestra Place

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/2213220001/

Intersting that West Elm is out. I thought that would have been a great fit in that location.

We'll see. I try to be an optimist, but pretty much all those projects have had delays [[some for very long periods of time). I'll believe most of them when workers are actually on site.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Good amount of information in this new Freep article, including updates on the following:

1. Bonstelle Hotel
    2. The Mid
    3. SoMa
    4. Movie Theater
    5. Orchestra Place

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/2213220001/

Intersting that West Elm is out. I thought that would have been a great fit in that location.
    Agreed. Though I wonder if Gilbert courted them to put their hotel in the Book Tower, which would allow them to have some retail space inside.

Most of the info in that article isn’t new. Kind of disappointing.

So the "SoMa" project is just a parking garage and renovation of an existing building. It says it "could" include additional development in the future.

Also, I still consider it an outrage that Woodward didn't get a road diet when it was rebuilt. Have you noticed how ground-floor shops there don't do well? Maybe the 8 lane highway and narrow sidewalks have something to do with it?

Today's Free Press Business Section has a big lead article on this:

MIDTOWN DEVELOPMENT
    COMING ATTRACTIONS
    Hotels, a movie theater and more to fill long vacant gaps along Woodward Avenue

Name:  midtown-developments.jpg
Views: 7150
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  Midtown-movie-theater.jpg
Views: 6298
Size:  35.6 KB

A VACANT LOT WILL DISAPPEAR IN MIDTOWN THIS FALL!

Another development announced in Midtown recently is an office and retail building made of shipping containers to be built on a vacant/parking lot adjacent to the shipping container-constructed food hall and event space, Detroit Shipping Company.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/8/30...erboro-midtown

The 3-story, $6 million structure will feature the following:

-21,000 square feet of total space

-
    up to 16 “micro-retail” tenants and a cafe on the first floor

-private office space on the 2nd floor

-a large office tenant on the 3rd floor

-
    This new building and Detroit Shipping Company will be connected by an outdoor space that may allow patrons to walk between them carrying an alcoholic beverage. The developer also said that one tenant in the new building may be a brewery or brewpub

-Construction should start by November

I LOVE THIS QUOTE FROM THE PROJECT DEVELOPER:

“To build a sustainable community, we need more than just places to eat and drink,” Jon Hartzell, founding partner of
    Detroit Rising Development
    , said in a release. “A neighborhood needs places to shop, places to work and places to live. 444 addresses the first two of those.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Most of the info in that article isn’t new. Kind of disappointing.
    Agreed that the months/years delay for these projects [[except for the Mid which is pretty recent) is frustrating and concerning. The article didn’t really allay concerns for those projects. Fingers crossed for the Mid though. Transformational is an overused adjective for real estate development but a project of that scale [[$300 million) in Midtown would really fit that description. This project dwarfs the others under discussion. A successful commitment of that kind of capital would be a catalyst for all kinds of additional development in the Woodward Midtown corridor and justify the [[relatively small) public investment in the QLine.

The Bonstelle Theatre [[former West Elm Hotel) project was announced in 2018, so it is of recent vintage. I hope they find another hotel chain, because that is one of the more exciting and unique projects planned for Midtown.

Looks like the mid is supposed to break ground by September 2022.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/6410436001/

From the wording in the article, I don't believe it at all. They say the residential tower will go up first because it's easier to get financing. They also say it'll go up in Q3, which is pushing it to the bitter end of their tax break timeline, and last, they say the design is 90% complete.

One of those things is a lie. If you're 90% on your design you don't need to wait 10 months to break ground, sorry bud. I don't think these guys are even close to being financed

Apparently the rep was asked about a Trader Joe's going in the development and he said that they reached out to the company but they were already looking at another Midtown site.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Apparently the rep was asked about a Trader Joe's going in the development and he said that they reached out to the company but they were already looking at another Midtown site.
    Was wondering if there is article for this?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    It was asked at the meeting.

Just a comment on reddit. I haven't seen a recording of the meeting yet to verify, but hopefully they will post it soon.

Sounds good thanks. Can imagine it being either part of the Woodward West [[24,800 sq ft of retail) or Union Street [[supposed to be converted to grocery store).

Sounds good thanks. Can imagine it being either part of the Woodward West [[24,800 sq ft of retail) or Union Street [[supposed to be converted to grocery store).
    My thought was Union Street too, which would be awesome. Woodward West is supposedly getting a second Kuzzo's, but I'm sure they could accommodate both. I can't really see it going to Sugarhill or Midtown West, as I don't think they have the room for it and neither are super high traffic areas. As I type this I think it's gotta be Union Street building, as they already specific they are going for a grocery store and I can't think of another reason to evict two businesses unless you have a high value national chain coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    My thought was Union Street too, which would be awesome. Woodward West is supposedly getting a second Kuzzo's, but I'm sure they could accommodate both. I can't really see it going to Sugarhill or Midtown West, as I don't think they have the room for it and neither are super high traffic areas. As I type this I think it's gotta be Union Street building, as they already specific they are going for a grocery store and I can't think of another reason to evict two businesses unless you have a high value national chain coming in.
    Oh yea forgot about Kuzzo's, wonder if they are still planning to setup there since that was announced quite a while back in 2018 pre-pandemic.

Brush and Watson also has a small retail space as well, but I think Bodega Market is opening in one of the City Modern Apartments. Might be quite a bit of grocery stores in that Brush Park area with Whole Foods, Target, and Bodega Market though.

Forgot that parking might be a factor for them as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Now there's going to be too many grocery stores.

If I'm not mistaken this was the Complex 444 project next to the Detroit Shipping Company that was suppose to be a 3 story office and retail space back in 2019. Looks like there is a hearing on July 6, 2022 for a 32 room 4 story hotel:

https://detroitmi.gov/events/special...terboro-street

Also not mistaken hopefully the City Club Apartments in Midtown and the Mid will break ground in Q3 this year with the AC hotel in Q4 this year just based on some of the previous articles. Don't want to be too optimistic though since seems like it has been forever since these projects were announced.

This better work.

If I'm not mistaken this was the Complex 444 project next to the Detroit Shipping Company that was suppose to be a 3 story office and retail space back in 2019. Looks like there is a hearing on July 6, 2022 for a 32 room 4 story hotel:

https://detroitmi.gov/events/special...terboro-street
    i spoke recently with the developer on this project – i believe the design has changed from the most recently posted rendering, but the plan indeed is a hotel with some micro-retail in the front, eliding with DSC as a sort of phase two to that campus. it won't be all built from shipping containers but that motif will carry through for continuity. following that i know they're looking for a spot in the area to do a third building with multilevel parking but last i heard every landowner in the vicinity is holding out for a millions offer.

Looks like the Woodward West had first residents move in last week and is currently 72% leased. Seems like they will announce the first tenant for the 25,000 sq ft retail soon, which I thought was Kuzzo's but that was years and years ago.

https://detroit.urbanize.city/post/woodward-west-opens-residents

Another development I always mix up is Midtown West which seems to have a move in date for Sept. 1st [[not sure if it was for 2021 and they forgot to update it or for 2022). Midtown West seems to be moving a snail pace. Wonder when they are going to start the next phase or if they will start the next phase.

https://www.midtownwestdetroit.com

Looks like they are finally going to move the 2nd street bridge later this month. Hopefully that gets done so that they can finally get started on the Emagine Theater or at least have some official announcement on it.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/mdot-week-...g-in-late-july

Also hopefully the City Modern wraps up this year [[I think they started this back in 2016?) so that they can move on to the Brewster Douglas development. They only have a few units left.

Looks like the Woodward West had first residents move in last week and is currently 72% leased. Seems like they will announce the first tenant for the 25,000 sq ft retail soon, which I thought was Kuzzo's but that was years and years ago.

https://detroit.urbanize.city/post/woodward-west-opens-residents

Another development I always mix up is Midtown West which seems to have a move in date for Sept. 1st [[not sure if it was for 2021 and they forgot to update it or for 2022). Midtown West seems to be moving a snail pace. Wonder when they are going to start the next phase or if they will start the next phase.

https://www.midtownwestdetroit.com

Looks like they are finally going to move the 2nd street bridge later this month. Hopefully that gets done so that they can finally get started on the Emagine Theater or at least have some official announcement on it.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/mdot-week-...g-in-late-july

Also hopefully the City Modern wraps up this year [[I think they started this back in 2016?) so that they can move on to the Brewster Douglas development. They only have a few units left.
    Would love to see Trek bicycle shop or a Bikes, Blade, and Board to open in one of the storefronts in Detroit West

That's going to be a trip to see that huge second ave. bridge moved over I-94 as per that third link. A long time coming!

Sorry couldn't find an existing thread for the Coda Detroit. I apologize for the quality, but looks like they demolished [[not sure when) the building to make way for the Coda Detroit development in Brush Park so hopefully actual construction will start soon. For some reason I was under the impression that they were going to implement the old building into the new condo.
    Attachment 42295

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast