Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Outside of Puebla, Cinco de Mayo is barely celebrated in Mexico itself. It was mostly spread here in the U.S. as a partying holiday for gringos through the efforts of the companies that distribute Mexican beer brands in the U.S. The big civic holiday in Mexico is Independence Day, which is coming up on Sept. 16. Celebrations usually begin on the night of Sept. 15, which is when the bell ringing [["The cry of Delores") occurred that announced the proclamation of independence from Spain.

I don't think you're going to see too many national figures associating themselves with the dominant labor union in our area anytime soon. It's become rather politically toxic, for obvious reasons.

In any event, Democratic presidential candidates are no longer likely to do a lot of campaigning with organized labor these days. For the very simple reason that labor unions can no longer be reliably depended on to deliver Democratic voters. The members of our shrinking unionized sector have increasingly voted for the party whose mission has long been to exterminate organized labor, and for candidates who have openly cheated and ripped off the people who work for them [[our present orange idiot). Because, you know, scary brown people...

Without unions this country would never have developed a middle class, the idea of your own home, health plans and education, and a respectable wage were fought for by generations before, They still provide this to a certain amount of people but society, and people have changed. We never would have gotten to this stage if we didn't have the economic stability and education provided to so many before. Such short memories. Some act like unions provided nothing...They have no concept of what life was like for many before unions, nor do they care. Unfortunately corruption goes on in all phases of America, always did, some union leaders aren't the only group who are guilty,,look at many of our private non unionized companies today,, far from innocent,,

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Without unions this country would never have developed a middle class, ...
    An oft-repeated claim. When I hear it, seems to me like its a apology for how bad unions are today.

Sure we suck, but we once did something great.

I'm not so sure that the middle class was created by big labor. But yeah, they once did something good for workers. Today, however, its just a private club that works hard to exclude you.

Are unions bad? You want proof? Outside of the public sector, union members support Trump. QED.

Don't forget the almost unlivable wage most people are making. Thanks Unions you're useless

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Don't forget the almost unlivable wage most people are making. Thanks Unions you're useless
    Don't forget the nearly 40 year long campaign from the highest reaches of the US government to render unions toothless, destroy any workers' power or rights, diminish the union presence in the American workplace, and ultimately to kill organized labor off.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-05-19 at 10:51 AM.

At some point, work conditions and salary disparity will deteriorate to the point where something like a union will be needed again. It might not be called a union, given the bad reputations they have. And I don't think we're there yet but, then again, I don't have an order picker job in a warehouse.

Private Sector Unions have become victims of their own success.

Public Sector Unions are another entirely different critter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    An oft-repeated claim. When I hear it, seems to me like its a apology for how bad unions are today.

Sure we suck, but we once did something great.

I'm not so sure that the middle class was created by big labor. But yeah, they once did something good for workers. Today, however, its just a private club that works hard to exclude you.

Are unions bad? You want proof? Outside of the public sector, union members support Trump. QED.

The middle class creation was helped tremendously by unions. Such a lame statement. Police, Fire, Nurses, and scores of other occupations, saw their pay increase, once unionized. Are they relevant or important as they once were? No. But don't say they didn't have anything to do with helping to develop the middle class.

Cinco de Mayo has better food.

This thread already didn't age well, here's Bernie at a UAW rally in Detroit. https://www.reddit.com/r/SandersForP..._this_morning/

Detroit couldn't be more relevant when it comes to politics right now with every candidate begging for our blessing and the city just hosted one of the dem debates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2