Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cinco de Mayo more relevant than Labor Day

Speaks volumes about Detroit. Not a single presidential candidate nor UAW official will speak today at the Labor Day parade.

Who gives a fuck...

Yep CD, noteworthy in a much as this states union background/ history.

I been on both the good and bad side of union representation [[mostly) good. I guess no one could break away to attend!

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    Speaks volumes about Detroit. Not a single presidential candidate nor UAW official will speak today at the Labor Day parade.
    When you read the News or Freep... did you miss the part where it started out "Amid UAW crisis.... no shows"

Detroit's time has long faded away. ..and with it the state of Michigan. Every census leaves Michigan with fewer representatives in Congress... Fewer national politicians, especially from the left will want to be associated with Detroit.

What kind of sing the praises narrative would a candidate speak about, regarding Big Labor when the UAW is under investigation for corruption ? I think that is the correct move, at this point.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-03-19 at 11:42 AM.

Fewer national politicians, especially from the left will want to be associated with Detroit.
    Somebody has a big brain. The best brain even

The irony of that. To think we've been so loyal party-wise [[Dem-Detroit)......

Good I refuse to put all my bushels in that basket!

...Fewer national politicians, especially from the left will want to be associated with Detroit.

Celebrate Cinco De Mayo like ppl in Mexico celebrate our 4th of July.
    Last edited by Pat001; September-02-19 at 04:11 PM.

Labor Day gets me a little depressed [[I snap out of it when Football starts) May 5th makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Celebrate Cinco De Mayo like ppl in Mexico celebrate our 4th of July.
    The only people who celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Mexico are American tourists.

I'll do everything I can to support the workers, the rank and file and to prosecute corrupt organizations and their officials.

Vote for me. Vote often.

Cheer up, Colombian Dan. Everything will be alright.

Is this more evidence of the postmodernists movement of abandoning your own culture, embracing others and leaving you with nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The only people who celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Mexico are American tourists.
    Where as in Fla with a heavy Hispanic population it is widely celebrated with events and concerts,us gringos do not attend as much if not all is in Spanish,it is not just a Mexican thing.

Most are working on Labor Day so in general it becomes another day or a day off,nobody really celebrates it on the scale Cinco de Mayo,not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Is this more evidence of the postmodernists movement of abandoning your own culture, embracing others and leaving you with nothing?
    Pretty much in urban settings but if you were to try it in another country you would be shunned.Rural areas still celebrate American traditions and shockingly even Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Pretty much in urban settings but if you were to try it in another country you would be shunned.Rural areas still celebrate American traditions and shockingly even Christmas.
    Y'all have been watching too much Jordan Peterson

^ never heard of Jordan Peterson.

when medium to low skilled jobs become advailable in Detroit,what percentage have a multi language requirement in order to even apply?

If y’all have not experienced it,y,all just do not know.

Lots of cities ya jus aint getten a job if ya dont drawl in nothers lingo.

¿Cómo te gustaría vivir en un mundo en el que te ves obligado a adaptarte a los extraños?
    Last edited by Richard; September-03-19 at 07:35 PM.

Yeah that totally had to do with Christmas

^ thread is about Cinco de Mayo Outside when used as an example of a holiday or tradition that is increasingly less celebrated why would I elaborate on it?

The best that you could come up with is clearly spelled out in the first reply to the thread.

.....ha ok, man

Another Fifth...

The Fifth of November
    Remember, remember!
    The fifth of November,
    The Gunpowder treason and plot;
    I know of no reason
    Why the Gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot!
    Guy Fawkes and his companions
    Did the scheme contrive,
    To blow the King and Parliament
    All up alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Another Fifth...

The Fifth of November
    Remember, remember!
    The fifth of November,
    The Gunpowder treason and plot;
    I know of no reason
    Why the Gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot!
    Guy Fawkes and his companions
    Did the scheme contrive,
    To blow the King and Parliament
    All up alive.
    Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

What you said reminded me of V for Vendetta. Couldn't help myself.

Unions ate their own lunch for 40 years! Now the next generation is paying the price. Good paying jobs and great benefits were not enough!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast