Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A workaround for this forum's edit bug

Bugs were introduced to this form when captcha was added. I've found one workaround to the editing bug that resulted:

Make your edits, click the "go advanced" button, then save your changes from there. That often works, but not always.

Tip to the admin: This editing issue seems most often to plague longer posts. The check to assure at least 10 characters have been entered seems unable to count the number of characters when many characters already exist, and erroneously blocks the edited post when it gets confused.

I suggest turning off that feature for edits. It is unnecessary. Besides, sometimes when I edit I want to remove unnecessary characters, not add more.

And thanks to the admin: I expect you aren't making much money by making possible this forum and the many services it provides, and your time required to administer it is much more valuable than any you do.
    Last edited by bust; August-30-19 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks for that,I will try it next post,sometimes after doing the 3 or 4 capta tests it also just goes to a blank screen and click the back button a few times and it shows posted.

I second the thanks to admin,in the real of things it is nothing compared to my X so I could be banished to one word posting and still be happy.
    Last edited by Richard; August-30-19 at 04:44 PM.

Interesting idea Bust. We have set the minimum from ten to 0. Let’s see how that works. We are working on a major upgrade to vbulletin 5 hopefully rolling out later this year. Version 4 is arriving at end of life and will be losing functionality as the core server PHP versions advance since vBulletin has stopped issuing updates to 4. No doubt we will face some bumps with that.

I always had an issue when reposting because the program reads the quoted material as no characters. I just type in 10 periods or commas and change the font color to white.

Yes this has been an issue. Hopefully the upcoming version 5 upgrade will smooth things out. But history shows new ones will likely emerge.

I'm curious to hear results of anyone's tests or attempted edits to see if removing the character requirement helped.

Helped
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Yes this has been an issue. Hopefully the upcoming version 5 upgrade will smooth things out. But history shows new ones will likely emerge.

I'm curious to hear results of anyone's tests or attempted edits to see if removing the character requirement helped.

quoted, added, now I will try to edit this and see what happens.
    Edit worked on this. I don't have any long posts to try it on

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    quoted, added, now I will try to edit this and see what happens.
    Edit worked on this. I don't have any long posts to try it on
    If you wanted to make some you could do it really fast with The Lorem Ipsum generator. You might want to test it in the sandbox though.

We are working on a major upgrade to vbulletin 5 hopefully rolling out later this year.
    Boards have been abandoning VBB and going to XenForo among others.

Still getting killed by capta,IPhone 6 full site mode,after doing the tests pushing continue it white screens and does not post content.

Okay posted this without it going to the robot test and it posted,was able to edit no problem.

must be centered around capta ? I do not envy anybody that has to deal with this techy stuff.
    Last edited by Richard; September-02-19 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Bugs were introduced to this form when captcha was added. I've found one workaround to the editing bug that resulted:

Make your edits, click the "go advanced" button, then save your changes from there. That often works, but not always.

Tip to the admin: This editing issue seems most often to plague longer posts. The check to assure at least 10 characters have been entered seems unable to count the number of characters when many characters already exist, and erroneously blocks the edited post when it gets confused.

I suggest turning off that feature for edits. It is unnecessary. Besides, sometimes when I edit I want to remove unnecessary characters, not add more.

And thanks to the admin: I expect you aren't making much money by making possible this forum and the many services it provides, and your time required to administer it is much more valuable than any you do.
    Test

Did the above from an iPhone 8 Did not send me the Captcha and posted without having to add any “white” dots.
    Re-opened and edited again

Us poor people still with the iPhone 6 seems to be averaging about 50/50 the white screen of death seems to be the killer.

It is weird that it is not consistent,maybe something is triggering it?

The hardest thing to figure out in IT is an inconsistant problem. If you continue to have the issue it would be cool if you kept track of the steps you take and see if you're doing something different before it happens and turn those steps over to the Admins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Us poor people still with the iPhone 6 seems to be averaging about 50/50 the white screen of death seems to be the killer.

It is weird that it is not consistent,maybe something is triggering it?

Yea I do not envy any IT any more,it used to be simple.

I think the white screen is related to log in.

It used to be if I wrote a long post it would log me out,so I would just copy n paste after logging back in.

Now even if I create a short 3 line post by the time I finish it goes to the you do not have permission part and I have to log back in.

I think what is happening is I create a post,it goes to capcha,after that process and I click eccept it just goes to a white blank screen,then I have to either click out and re log in or push the back button.

Which makes me think that after doing the capcha test the log in has dropped and it cannot continue so it just hangs up there.

Which makes it worse for the IT guys is it is not consistent,sometimes posts will post with no Capcha,sometimes they will post flawlessly after going through the Capcha process but when it hits the white screen mode it stays there unless I wait a couple of hours and repost.

I wrote that post and it stayed logged in and posted without going through the Capcha.