Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Wjr

Default Wjr

Does anyone know what happened to Steve Courtney on WJR? He's no longer on in the mornings for sports and haven't heard why. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

His FB, Twitter and the WJR website say he works there; maybe he's on vacay? Says he's sports director, so he's there somewhere

I saw somewhere that JP McCarthy was going to come out of retirement to replace him.

Name:  J.-P.-McCarthy-Press-Photo-WJR-1969-MCRFB.jpg
Views: 3764
Size:  166.8 KB

If JP does, bring back the Bob-Lo boat race between U of M and Notre Dame too!

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I saw somewhere that JP McCarthy was going to come out of retirement to replace him.

Name:  J.-P.-McCarthy-Press-Photo-WJR-1969-MCRFB.jpg
Views: 3764
Size:  166.8 KB
    Speaking of JP...
    https://video.whyy.org/video/dptv-do...voice-detroit/

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Thank you, townonenorth. I look forward to watching this video. Loved J.P. He reminds me of the days when Detroit was able to attract the high level talent of a top-10 radio and television market.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Yes, thank you! He kind of reminded me of Johnny Carson. He had that laid back style and was able to get any guest, from an athlete to the governor, to relax and be candid with him. I used to love his 8:30 am chats with Billy Martin every weekday. Billy even came on the morning after getting fired. That showed how much respect he had for J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yes, thank you! He kind of reminded me of Johnny Carson. He had that laid back style and was able to get any guest, from an athlete to the governor, to relax and be candid with him. I used to love his 8:30 am chats with Billy Martin every weekday. Billy even came on the morning after getting fired. That showed how much respect he had for J.P.
    Oh, that's dating yourself, 401Don. I remember him in the 70's, but listened more often in the 80's when I [[finally) finished my education and began working for a living. Nothing like starting out the morning with J.P.