Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What'd the UAW Do Now?

Headlines say the FBIs are conducting searches of homes and other offices and facilities.

Something besides their normal, run-of-the-mill corrupt activities?

Do you have a link? Thanks.

Thanks.

LOL at the neighbor with the Swarovski binoculars. Bottom shelf model is around $1700.00. Wonder what else he watches.

Throw him in jail for having an ugly house

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Headlines say the FBIs are conducting searches of homes and other offices and facilities.

Something besides their normal, run-of-the-mill corrupt activities?
    That will be the defense attorney's opening statement:
    "This was just our normal run-of-the-mill corruption. Expensive trinkets. There are no bodies to dig up these days."

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    hahahahaha

The scheme redirected millions of dollars meant for worker training to goodies for former union and company officials. Nine people have been charged so far.

The whole we represent the workers so they get a fair break while in the process insuring that they do not seems to be par to the course.

Raids in St Louis too.

The UAW are doing more the promoting solidarity.

The timing of this couldn't be worse, with contract negotiations.

The rank and file deserve better leaders than these crooks.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    The Williams' cabin?

I kinda like it. It's got a nice 3-season porch with a fireplace, heated floors, and a master bedroom with a secret room.

I saw something where they said the corruption claim was just a cover story, the FBI are really looking for Jimmy Hoffa?

Name:  jimmy hoffa 5.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  73.3 KB

Some of this reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield one-liner, "My dad was so dumb he got fired from the bank for stealing pencils."

From what I can gather this set of raids surrounds misappropriating UAW office funds, 'flower funds', 'president's fund' and perhaps other items that UAW staff get hit up for. In other words pilferage compared to the larger FCA-UAW Training Center scam but still substantial. Even the Training Center scam is chicken feed compared to something like the legendary mafia raids of the Teamster pension funds in the 1970's. Of course if these raids link to the broader Training Center scandal, then it gets serious.

As for a presidential retirement house, an ongoing benefit, that, along with the president's salary, is not at all excessive when put beside benefits received by corporate presidents of similar-sized multi-billion dollar operations. Such a corporation couldn't hire a mid-level executive, let alone a CEO, for what the UAW pays its president--$200K.

However perception is everything and what is pilfering looks like a lot to the average line worker. It has also destroyed faith in the union leadership which, in my opinion, should be demanding direct election of their president and independent audits.

Finally, I agree with those above regarding the smelly timing of this round of raids just as contract negotiations begin.

Always astonished that organizations this large, whether corporations, non-profits, etc. don't have proper external auditing. It's especially troublesome with the UAW, an organization with a long history of corruption.

Probably doesn't help the UAW's cause to keep the current leadership in place. Instead of cleaning house, the UAW is allowing the federal government to do it. In the end, look at the Teamsters how this mess will end....25 years of federal oversight

Well put Lowell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Some of this reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield one-liner, "My dad was so dumb he got fired from the bank for stealing pencils."

From what I can gather this set of raids surrounds misappropriating UAW office funds, 'flower funds', 'president's fund' and perhaps other items that UAW staff get hit up for. In other words pilferage compared to the larger FCA-UAW Training Center scam but still substantial. Even the Training Center scam is chicken feed compared to something like the legendary mafia raids of the Teamster pension funds in the 1970's. Of course if these raids link to the broader Training Center scandal, then it gets serious.

As for a presidential retirement house, an ongoing benefit, that, along with the president's salary, is not at all excessive when put beside benefits received by corporate presidents of similar-sized multi-billion dollar operations. Such a corporation couldn't hire a mid-level executive, let alone a CEO, for what the UAW pays its president--$200K.

However perception is everything and what is pilfering looks like a lot to the average line worker. It has also destroyed faith in the union leadership which, in my opinion, should be demanding direct election of their president and independent audits.

Finally, I agree with those above regarding the smelly timing of this round of raids just as contract negotiations begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The timing of this couldn't be worse, with contract negotiations.
    And their headquarters gutted by fire last month.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Always astonished that organizations this large, whether corporations, non-profits, etc. don't have proper external auditing.
    Public corporations have pretty tight financial controls and reporting requirements, especially those incorporated in Delaware. Non-profits generally do not, as they do not take investment capital.

This is why, when you see modern corporate scandals, they usually involve complicated schemes - derivatives trading, messing with futures valuations, stuff like that. When you see a scandal with a non-profit, it's stuff like this - an executive funneling money where it shouldn't be going.

So, yeah, they can get away with all kinds of shenanigans.

People, outside of the Unions, wonder what in the heck is going on. Pigs at the trough. Trump wins?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    And their headquarters gutted by fire last month.
    I hadn't heard about the HQ fire. Proactive destruction?

The UAW was good to me when I was young so I look the other way at this stuff today. Back in the 1970’s I worked at the old Chrysler Vernor Tool & Die plant, just north of the Jefferson Assembly plant, first as an apprentice then as a die maker. The UAW took care of us skilled trades guys.

Name:  6-LOCAL 212-2.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  104.1 KB

The Big Three couldn't come up with a better scheme to discredit the UAW than what UAW leaders are doing to their own union.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    so I look the other way at this stuff today.
    And that's why corporations and politicians get away with it. No one should ever 'look the other way'. That's as criminal as the act itself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast