Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: H&M?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    That's cute lol, you'd be surprised how much I get out. lol
    Being ex military and being station overseas and though out the US I've been out a lot. I've also lived abroad several times, college, ect and I travel to somewhere in Europe once a year, outside of my travels somewhere in the US a couple times in the year. After living in California for 20 plus years, LA 15 of those years.
    Basically I'm a nomad lol.
    Certainly no offense intended, but to say Detroit is poised to be better than it's prime? I guess it was meant to be tongue in cheek.
    For those not familiar, here's a peek of Detroit in its prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Gwvq6zdSw

I had been to Manhattan and Chicago. Detroit has the potential to have a better downtown and in it's 1950s heyday Detroit was a much better city than them both. What Detroit doesn't want is the overcrowding of people in it's downtown that they other two have.New York and Chicago downtown's are too dense to even ride scooters let alone walk your dog down their main avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had been to Manhattan and Chicago. Detroit has the potential to have a better downtown and in it's 1950s heyday Detroit was a much better city than them both. What Detroit doesn't want is the overcrowding of people in it's downtown that they other two have.New York and Chicago downtown's are too dense to even ride scooters let alone walk your dog down their main avenues.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Really? Why Not?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yes you can. Detroit had a bustling downtown in its hey but it wasn't pack with shoulder to shoulder people that New York had. There still could be a bustling downtown without the overcrowding. I fi want to see more foot traffic on Woodward from Jefferson to Grand Blvd. H&M and hopefully a City Target on Woodward near Mack will increase the foot traffic and the use of the Qline

Yes you can. Detroit had a bustling downtown in its hey but it wasn't pack with shoulder to shoulder people that New York had. There still could be a bustling downtown without the overcrowding. I fi want to see more foot traffic on Woodward from Jefferson to Grand Blvd. H&M and hopefully a City Target on Woodward near Mack will increase the foot traffic and the use of the Qline
    I totally share your vision
    PS. Not that it changes the meaning but I think the correct phrase is “you cannot eat your cake and have it too”

Thanks for that ,
    I have seen that video before, I wish I could have seen that in person, I caught the tail end in the early 70’s.
    being from detroit you have to have a thick skin.
    Those were a great time for businesses in downtown and detroit. Times were very different ,people respected each other a lot more and definitely dressed better.
    I can’t say much about people respecting each other anymore or anytime soon.
    It doesn’t look good for the respect issues but a better downtown and detroit looks promising.
    Last edited by Detroitdave; September-10-19 at 07:44 AM.

Qwikee doughnuts , where was the one in downtown that had the hand dunking the doughnut?
    I’m speaking about the one in this video
    https://youtu.be/L0Gwvq6zdSw
    Last edited by Detroitdave; September-09-19 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Qwikee doughnuts , where was the one in downtown that had the hand dunking the doughnut?
    I’m speaking about the one in this video
    https://youtu.be/L0Gwvq6zdSw
    This isn’t what this thread is about, but it was in the ground floor of the Stanley Building at 35 W. Grand River between Woodward and Griswold. Currently loft apartments called 35W. The former Qwikee space is for lease.

Thank you

I spoke to someone that works at the H&M in fairlane and she informed me that the downtown store should be open by late October, definitely before Black Friday and the holiday shopping season.
    Also she said it will be larger than the fairlane location by about 10,000 sq ft

Has anyone heard any updates about when this will be open? My 16 year old is eagerly awaiting the opening and hoping the mens section will be larger than the one at Macomb Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    H&M will open somewhat in October.
    Heard that the date, as usual dealing with Detroit, had been pushed back

Heard that the date, as usual dealing with Detroit, had been pushed back
    Didn't see that comment coming.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Didn't see that comment coming.
    Their community benefits agreement hasn't been finalized yet.

Quote Originally Posted by courtney View Post
    Has anyone heard any updates about when this will be open? My 16 year old is eagerly awaiting the opening and hoping the mens section will be larger than the one at Macomb Mall.
    About a week ago the front door was open and the space is finished [[lighting, clothing racks, etc.), but was filled with merchandise boxes. So I'm assuming they're working on that now.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    Community benefit agreement?

Will it open before Black Friday

Community benefit agreement?
    Could be wrong but I believe that refers to “pay for play”

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    I dont think that you are farfetched to this theory. I think that Pay to Play practice still exist in Detroit especially when it come to national retail opening in Detroit. It could be Pay to play in a different way. National retailers may be forced to hire at least 70% of Detroiters no matter if they are qualified or not. It may come into an agreement of H&M or other retailers being forced to sell local entreprenuer's items no matter how flimsy those items are. Ferne, a national woman's boutique, are selling Detroit is the New Black logo merchandise eventhough there is a Detroit is the New Black store just a few miles down. I am still suspicious of the Planet Fitness gym not being able to open near the Riverfront eventhough contracts were signed and the build out was in progress. I had spoken to a few managers of these chains that had opened in the city in the past 10 years. Some of them had said that the city inspectors would find something at the last minute for them to fixed in order to open. Many on this site would say that we are naysayers or kooks but they are forgetten the number of inspectors whom had gotten caught and went to jail due to these practices while taken the fall for the big person behind the scene

You guys should really open your own H&M conspiracy thread. I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

Conspiracy thread. Lol. You have to ask why Detroit has a time moving forward? I always wondered had Council person Mel Ravitz had won the 1973 mayor's race instead of Coleman Young how would Detroit would had been. What direction would it had went in?

The city would probably have been better off in the immediate aftermath if Ravitz had won. [[The Free Press really should not have endorsed Mogk) It would also probably have been better off if Dick Austin has won the previous election.

Having said that, it's impossible to know how much difference that would have made over time. I'm not a Young fan, but the forces emptying out Detroit from the 70's to the 90's were not primarily in the control of any mayor. Maybe the depths would have been a bit less deep, or maybe they just would have been a little delayed.

I have found H&M Clothing to be a bit nondescript. Nothing really unique or particularly well made. Wonder if the stuff will hold up more than an few washings or dry cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I have found H&M Clothing to be a bit nondescript. Nothing really unique or particularly well made. Wonder if the stuff will hold up more than an few washings or dry cleaning?
    There's no clothing store inside the city, excluding Nike, UnderArmour, and a couple of boutiques, that has anything of quality from downtown to the so called Avenue of Fashion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast