Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: H&M?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There's no clothing store inside the city, excluding Nike, UnderArmour, and a couple of boutiques, that has anything of quality from downtown to the so called Avenue of Fashion
    Yeah I think people here are more interested in seeing retail that the masses want. The fact is that H&M will act as a bit of an anchor tenant on Woodward, which is all that matters IMHO.

H&M is hit or miss. I've bought some items that have lasted me years, and some that shrunk immediately in the wash. You can't beat the price, however.

It would be cool to see a Uniqlo open up too. Their stuff is of higher quality, the company cares a little more about sustainability and it would be unique [[pun) to the metro area.
    Last edited by EGrant; November-04-19 at 07:09 AM.

Oh yeah... Considering that H&M would be a start, especially heading upscale men/ women's beyond boutique. BTW, sorta low rent, but we do have three Forman Mills stores [[Conner, Eight Mile and Woodward Ave. Location).

Oddly, I've found nice clothing there from time to to time including Talbots, Addidas and Anne Klien etc [[Forman Mills is sorta lower level Burlington/ TJ Maxx ala gleaned/ remnant stuff - off retail/ tag striked)!

There's no clothing store inside the city, excluding Nike, UnderArmour, and a couple of boutiques, that has anything of quality from downtown to the so called Avenue of Fashion
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-04-19 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Oh yeah... Considering that H&M would be a start, especially heading upscale men/ women's beyond boutique. BTW, sorta low rent, but we do have three Forman Mills stores [[Conner, Eight Mile and Woodward Ave. Location).

Oddly, I've found nice clothing there from time to to time including Talbots, Addidas and Anne Klien etc [[Forman Mills is sorta lower level Burlington/ TJ Maxx ala gleaned/ remnant stuff - off retail/ tag striked)!
    Forman Mills is good for the neighborhoods and for the working class families such as Spartan Atlantis were also on Warren and Conners and had benefitted mine and other working class families then. Were talking downtown and the stores that would be a good draw for other businesses. I am surprised that H&M had taken so much space. I wish that someone would buy the Hudson's name and open a store downtown with that name selling good quality clothing and household items. I will also be glad if an Art Van or Restoration Hardware open a store downtown or in one of the empty warehouse like buildings that sits on Jefferson. I'm thinking of the one where Globe Bible Bookstore were before it had relocated just a block or two west

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    H&M is hit or miss. I've bought some items that have lasted me years, and some that shrunk immediately in the wash. You can't beat the price, however.
    Agree here. I have several $15 easy iron men’s dress shirts that I have worn daily for 10+ years. The cut and quality have held up against any CK shirt or other premium label.

Your forgetting about Rachel Lutz's shops The Peacock Room, Yama, and Frida.Those are all high quality clothing stores in the city. also Good Neightbor, Detroit is the New Black, John Varvatos, BIRD BEE, Bonobos, Madewell, and G Star Raw.

There’s also the Forman Mills on Grand River, Moosejaw and Ferne Detroit in New Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I have found H&M Clothing to be a bit nondescript. Nothing really unique or particularly well made. Wonder if the stuff will hold up more than an few washings or dry cleaning?
    Everything my son has gotten there has lasted a surprisingly long time, and has held up well after multiple washings. I will also say it's one of the few places that have cuts in men's clothing that aren't geared for the average American, which my son greatly appreciates. It doesn't look like he's put on a massive paper sack, which is often the case, even getting something in smaller sizes at other clothing stores.

Their women's clothing, on the other hand, generally seems to look cheap. It isn't my style in the first place [[I did see a cute skirt once, but it was overpriced for how cheaply it was made) but it has more of a "disposable single season fashion" look, meant only to last a season and by then the style will have changed that the purchaser wouldn't want to be seen in it anyway.

They've got a target market and they cater to it. It's going to be teens/20somethings, not those who are looking for heirloom quality high end clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by courtney View Post
    Everything my son has gotten there has lasted a surprisingly long time, and has held up well after multiple washings. I will also say it's one of the few places that have cuts in men's clothing that aren't geared for the average American, which my son greatly appreciates. It doesn't look like he's put on a massive paper sack, which is often the case, even getting something in smaller sizes at other clothing stores.

Their women's clothing, on the other hand, generally seems to look cheap. It isn't my style in the first place [[I did see a cute skirt once, but it was overpriced for how cheaply it was made) but it has more of a "disposable single season fashion" look, meant only to last a season and by then the style will have changed that the purchaser wouldn't want to be seen in it anyway.

They've got a target market and they cater to it. It's going to be teens/20somethings, not those who are looking for heirloom quality high end clothing.
    h&m is the only place I know of that carries extra small sizes for men's clothes, it's impossible for me to find that size anywhere else at any other store. Most places only carry down to a small and even then they only have one item.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by TheDapperMaleDetroit View Post
    Your forgetting about Rachel Lutz's shops The Peacock Room, Yama, and Frida.Those are all high quality clothing stores in the city. also Good Neightbor, Detroit is the New Black, John Varvatos, BIRD BEE, Bonobos, Madewell, and G Star Raw.
    I did say saving a few boutiques. I think that and was told by a acquaintance that Detroit is the new Black has a one size fit all concept meaning an XL size tshirt will be unisex

Ya know this new H&M is technically considered a department store.

I think people are really understating what a big deal this is to finally get a major anchor shopping tenant like this back on Merchants Row. We've been working toward this for a long time. This is a milestone and will allow downtown retail and shopping to get even better from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDapperMaleDetroit View Post
    Besides the newish Ferne Boutique on Woodward, there are 2 new women's boutiques in New Center:

Busted Bra
    https://www.bustedindetroit.com/

Coup D'etat [[opening on Friday, Nov 9 in the Former GM HQ building)
    https://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/...at-110519.aspx

There are also little independent clothing stores scattered around in Eastern Market, Corktown, and Midtown such as

Brightly Twisted in Corktown
    https://www.brightlytwistedtiedye.com/

Cyber Optix in Eastern Market
    https://www.cyberoptix.com/

Bleu Bowtique in Midtown
    https://bleubowtique.com/

There are boutiques scattered throughout Detroit and many are tasteful. Im focusing on downtown Detroit. H&M will get the ball rolling when it come to retail on Woodward that's not too urbane eventhough there's a place for that too. The spot the H&M is occupying could as well been good for a City Target to take up or a store similar to Macy's. We need a independently own department like store that's comparable to Hudson's but not on a massive scaled as Hudson's was. A store that sell good quality items as Hudson's had sold that kept up with the style of the time without being too funky and too flimsy. It doesn't have to have Detroit logo on its apparels but carry different designer's items as well as the store's own brand. I would also like to have SEE optical to open in Detroit eventhough I had heard the Goldman, the owner, doesn't think that it will not do good in downtown Detroit for some reason. I also would love to see a computer store or electronics store as well as Art Van or Bright Ideas in downtown midtown Detroit

A hot new place to eat just opened in "District Detroit" , right behind the Fox. http://fritabatidos.com/detroit/
    Also a new U of M store is opening today right across the "alley" from Frita's.
    I didn't get the name but the store looks beautiful.
    Now back to H&M.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Besides the newish Ferne Boutique on Woodward, there are 2 new women's boutiques in New Center:

Busted Bra
    https://www.bustedindetroit.com/

Coup D'etat [[opening on Friday, Nov 9 in the Former GM HQ building)
    https://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/...at-110519.aspx

There are also little independent clothing stores scattered around in Eastern Market, Corktown, and Midtown such as

Brightly Twisted in Corktown
    https://www.brightlytwistedtiedye.com/

Cyber Optix in Eastern Market
    https://www.cyberoptix.com/

Bleu Bowtique in Midtown
    https://bleubowtique.com/

H&M Gilberttown Detroit Clothier superstore will open on November 21st.

It look appealing to me despite the negative comment that was made 9n that site

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    H&M Gilberttown Detroit Clothier superstore will open on November 21st.
    Should I alert the H & M store at the Santa Fe Place Mall in Santa Fe, NM of the new name...

I just drove by about 5 minutes ago. The wraps are off the windows in anticipation of today's opening. The store looks great!. The footnprint makes a big impression on that section of Woodward too.

I hope it does well. It's the 1st clothing store downtown following the lower prices/large volumes model of the malls and will need strong foot traffic. It will have very little competition in its price range for now.

Huge line outside this morning around 9 am. Not just Quicken Bros either, good mix of age, gender, and race

Can we get some pics in here? You guys must have smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Can we get some pics in here? You guys must have smartphones.
    Some photos in this link.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...rd/4252049002/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast