Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Free Press Front Page: The endangered house bars of Wyandotte

https://www.freep.com/picture-galler...XmFyPK3QEP8hAo
    https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...rs/2061048001/

Once upon a time, there were enough bars in the city of Wyandotte for it to declare a world record for having the most number of bars per local capita, largely coinciding with the community's population peaking at 43,519 by 1960. Corner bars situated within residential houses were a common sight every few intersections in much of the older sections of the city.

Since then, Wyandotte has lost almost half of that population, and the number of residential bars has reflected that, leaving just two in business as of today.

August 2nd saw the closure of the Chene Adele Bar, which had it's origins more than half a century ago, in Poletown, before being forced to move to the corner of Orange and 6th Streets in 1981 after much of Poletown was demolished by General Motors. Reason for the closure? Building bought by the city.

I wish there were a bar on my street. Then I could get shit-faced and walk home.

Years ago, spent a lot of time in Wyandotte's bars -- including the 'house bars'. Most were fine corner bars. Great places to have a peaceful drink.

I don't think the population decline is causing the extinction. More the bigger, destination bars like Slip Mahoney's grabbing the business. Its also a shift from a world where working dad might stop for a drink on the way home at a little joint -- not seeking loud music, girls, and social life. Drinking at the corner bar was mostly a relaxing, low-intensity social experience. Broadly, we don't do that nearly as much anymore.

Here in Hamtramck, you still have a few joints like Baker Streetcar Bar where most of the time you can just sit at the bar, maybe watch a game, and relax. Mostly by yourself or with a small group of friends. Not so much a place to go to find friends as to enjoy them.

Different times, different tastes.

I once dated a girl in Bay City. All her friends declared that they now hold the record for bars pet capita. I wouldnt have reason to disagree as there seemed to be an option on every corner. I'm not sure how that could be verified though.

Nah, you would be there every night